The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Keep the Linseed Oil for your cricket bat.
As others have pointed out - Graphite is the better lubricant.
I keep a couple of lead pencils - the softer the better - with a good sharpener in my string change kit.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Guest 728

When diagnosing a mechanical issue in a car, motorcycle, or bike, an important question to ask is, "What was the last thing you did to it before the trouble started?" Your answer would be:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mameha1977 View Post
I applied a tiny amount of linseed oil to the nut and also the bridge
Clean up the oil, and try again with new strings.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:24 AM

I had the same thing very recently with a set of martin strings. The next day they were in tune but sounded totally dead and horrible. After a couple of days they had that new string sparkle again and have got better and better ever since.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 06-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mameha1977 View Post
The only thing I did this time different to normal was I applied a tiny amount of linseed oil to the nut (to prevent slipping/cracking noise when tuning) and also the bridge where ball end strings fit in.

Can it just be dodgy strings? They look fine, shiny and bright.
There are really only three things that could be the cause:
1. Bad Strings. This is the easiest one to determine since all you'd have to do is change the strings again. If the problem persists, it's not the strings.
2. Humidity. If it's the humidity, then putting the guitar in a case with some kind of desiccant will rectify the guitar. But you also want to keep a hygrometer in there so you can monitor the level. Shoot for somewhere between 40 and 50 percent.
3. The Lindseed Oil. I don't know where you got the idea to do this. I've never heard of anyone using Lindseed Oil on their nut and pin holes. Lindseed oil does not retain its liquid form. It polymerizes into a solid form and that could have an adverse effect on your guitar's tone. If the oil turns out to be the issue (and it very well could be despite your expressed doubts), the nut is going to have a bigger impact on the tone than the pin holes. At that point, the nut will need to be cleaned up or a new nut cut. I strongly advise that you do NOT undertake that task on your own. The nut is not simply a guide for the strings. A properly cut nut is essential for good intonation and optimum action.

My best advice:
1. Change the strings. That's the quickest and cheapest thing to troubleshoot.
2. If changing the strings doesn't fix the issue, purchase a hygrometer (they're cheap) so you know what the humidity is in your home where you keep your guitar. If the humidity is over 50%, you'll want either a case desiccant or a room dehumidifier in order to get the humidity back to an optimal level.
3. If the issue is neither the strings nor the humidity, then you've screwed up your guitar by applying the Lindseed Oil. If that's the case, you should take the guitar to the best tech in your area and tell him what you've done so he can address and correct the issue. He may be able to save the nut or he may have to cut you a new one.
4. NEVER use Lindseed Oil on a guitar again.

Good luck.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion