The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Default To Buy or Not

I’ve been a finger picker my entire guitar playing career, but am venturing into flat picking to expand my horizons and attend some bluegrass jams. So, I have an Applause Elite Plus, I’ve been utilizing but have thought about moving on to a Seagull S6. Don’t want to spend a boat load of $$$ in case this transition doesn’t take. Will I note a meaningful difference in tone and playability or am I just gassing out do you think?

Thanks

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"

Last edited by MJScott; 06-13-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Any dreadnaught guitar will be accepted. The S6 is nice, though there is a lot of competition as well as used guitars, so I'd look around. And, just personal preference/experience (IMO/YMMV), I'd probably look for a solid spruce or even mahogany topped guitar. it's going to punch through a little better in a bluegrass jam.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 AM

That is a great choice. Others can chime in with alternatives but regardless I do think it will help you to lean in on the bluegrass.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM

I own several Godin guitars (the maker of Seagull,) all of their products are a lot of "bang for the buck" IMHO. I don't think you can go wrong with a Seagull.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I’ve been a finger picker my entire guitar playing career, but am venturing into flat picking to expand my horizons and attend some bluegrass jams. So, I have an Applause Elite Plus, I’ve been utilizing but have thought about moving on to a Seagull S6. Don’t want to spend a boat load of $$$ in case this transition doesn’t take. Will I note a meaningful difference in tone and playability or am I just gassing out do you think?

Thanks

Hi MJ

Important question...what is your budget?

For bluegrass flatpicking I think there are quite a number of guitars better suited for that style than the Seagull...and I LIKE Seagull guitars A LOT!!!...just not so much for that style of play.

Let us know what you are trying to spend, and we can give you some great options to try.

Fair warning...some bluegrass jams and/or players in those jams...can on occasion be...oh shall we say...a wee bit persnickity about what type/brand of guitar you are playing. And it is true that a guitar that has a more fingerstyle tone/dynamic response voice is not really ideal for bluegrass music styles.

So let's get you saddled up on the horse and pointed in the right direction! {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

S6 is a great guitar, but has a cedar top. IMHO Cedar is a bit less well suited to bluegrass than spruce, as it doesn't quite have the volume or projection necessary to cut through a jam. I'd look for a spruce top if it were me.

-Mike
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Of course a Seagull dreadnaught is perfectly capable and acceptable in any bluegrass jam. That said, it would not be my first choice, nor my second or third for that type of music. What MobileMike said is completely accurate.

If you go to a lot of bluegrass jams, you will come across a Seagull about once in a blue moon (of Kentucky, haha), and I think there is a reason for that. While fine guitars, I don't consider bluegrass their prime territory.

If you already had a Seagull and you wanted to get your feet wet in bluegrass, I'd say, sure, go for it. But if you are considering buying a Seagull for bluegrass, I'd say don't, as it's almost guaranteed you will regret it in the future.

I'm not saying this to come across as a Martin snob, and there is no reason to advocate for a Martin. But for a little bit more or close to the cost of an S6, you can get a Blueridge or Recording King that will be far more suited for bluegrass.

It is also true that there are quite a few bluegrass pickers out there who come across as snobs or "persnickety" about what others play. However, I think it's important to recognize that really there are two types of those people: one type is just that -- snobby and persnickety because they have been indoctrinated all their lives that one must play nothing but a Martin dreadnaught in bluegrass, and not just any Martin, but a D-18 or a D-28. 90% of that notion is grounded in "traditionalism and doctrine" with perhaps 10% being based on reality. The other type that may come across as "snobs" is folks who simply have realized and experienced that some guitars are better suited for this music than others, and who are not afraid of sharing their experience.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 06-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM

While I'd agree your Applause won't give or get maximum love at a bluegrass jam, I think digging into BG w/what you got is a good move. You're opinion about what makes a good BG dreadnought will likely evolve as you broaden your outlook. Also agree a cedar-topped guitar is not a great choice for that genre.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the advice. The jams I go to (with mandolin) don’t seem to be too “elitist “. I’m not very concerned about taking the Applause, but wouldn’t take a small body there-for obvious reasons-ha ha. The Applause is my only dread shaped guitar. Just sort of wondered if I would be better off with a more normal guitar. Don’t want to spend more than $500+/- in case this is a passing fancy, so perhaps the Applause will suffice for now.......

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Here you go. Used Larrivee D-03, $400. Only in fair condition but with a 45 day return period. You can call the store to get a better description of the condition. They also have a D-02 in a little nicer condition for $520.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/La...stic-Guitar.gc
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Here you go. Used Larrivee D-03, $400. Only in fair condition but with a 45 day return period. You can call the store to get a better description of the condition. They also have a D-02 in a little nicer condition for $520.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/La...stic-Guitar.gc
FYI, that guitar is left-handed.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
S6 is a great guitar, but has a cedar top. IMHO Cedar is a bit less well suited to bluegrass than spruce, as it doesn't quite have the volume or projection necessary to cut through a jam. I'd look for a spruce top if it were me.

-Mike

I have 2 Seagull S6's (one of which is for sale) and they are both very loud and project nicely. However, one of them a little more than the other which could be caused by variables such as age, play time and string type/age. Both are great quality guitars on a budget.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
Don’t want to spend more than $500+/- in case this is a passing fancy, so perhaps the Applause will suffice for now.......
As you probably already know, you can pick up an S6 for about half your budget and you wont be disappointed.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:45 AM

I'm a huge Seagull fan and love my S6 for fingerstyle playing (virtually all I do) but I'll echo what some have already said, in that it may not be ideal for Bluegrass style flat picking. I've picked up a couple of Alvarez's over the past two years and I would recommend you look at the MD-60BG. It's all solid wood (sitka over African mahogany) and in your price range. Alvarez' Masterworks series has unbelievable performance for price and every upper level Alvarez I've purchased has come set up perfectly.

Happy hunting.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

I must be lucky. The only thing I've seen and experienced at bluegrass jams is an open, friendly, inviting nature. That tends to be my nature as well. So maybe I put out that vibe and it's returned in kind.

For 20+ years I have only owned Martin acoustics, so that's the only brand I've ever brought to an acoustic jam of any sort. But as much as the name is hyped, Martin guitars are either out-numbered or make up 1/2 of the guitars at most of the jams I've been to. I've seen Seagull and Taylor and Gibson birds and a lot of beaters that I have no clue who made them, in addition the the expected brands like Eastman and Martin. Also, most guitar players only play rhythm. Only about 1/3rd play breaks at some jams, sometimes it gets to 50% or so.

So I would advise you (and any others) to take and play the guitar you already have. At the point, if it ever arises, that you find your guitar is not sufficient for what and where you are actually playing, then make the move to get something else better suited. Because then you'll be in a much better position to accurately judge, try and buy what you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion