The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2014, 06:35 PM

"But any picture of paco will show
More callous than nail
Should just be able to see the nail over the finger
The thumb nail is a different story"

Thanks,
Got it.. very modest length.
Those are some serious callouses ! and quite a nail on the pinky.

I do have a very strong thumb and a strong thumbnail.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Nice music collection bohemian !!!
Good luck with the nails
Best to you
Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 PM

A few Misc CDs :

Lulo Reinhardt "Latin Swing Project" (nylon guitar)

Leonardo Lezano "Un Quatro Perigrino" (Venezuelan Quatro)

Gonzalo Bergara "Porteno Soledad"

Oscar Aleman " Swing Guitar Masterpieces"

Luciana Rabello self titled Cavaquinho music

Indio Do Cavaquinho self titled

Both the above from ACARI Records.. Luciana's Company in Brazil

Putamayo "Latin Jazz"

Chico Pinheiro & Anthony Wilson " NOVA"

Anthony Wilson is Diana Krall's Guitarist
Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Thank you AlVal and everyone who contributed to this thread.. it helped me a great deal.

So I'm gonna study classical guitar technique to start with. And I'll be definitely listening to more choro and samba.. so not only bossa.

Thanks bohemian for taking the time and writing those lists.. this should help me a lot..

Best of luck to all of you guys..

Last edited by NewGuitarist; 09-11-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:04 PM

PS..

My friend and neighbor is Ray Reussner.

http://rayreussner.com/

Not mentioned in the bio is Ray began making guitars a few years back...
more to that story another time.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Brazilian guitar has much of classical guitar technique with the difference that in this style you have to practice rhythms a lot.
I wrote a method about Brazilian guitar, it starts with some exercises for right and left hands and as soon as possible I teach some pieces that I wrote and which work with more traditional Brazilian style.
The method have also a chapter with the most common Brazilian rhythms, and another one about how to build chords and inversions on the guitar.
Unfortunately I wrote it in Portuguese.

Actually, I have been working on a website for members where I will teach only Brazilian guitar, it will be open as soon as I have made the first videos for the lessons (I have been studying English a lot to be able to do it).

If you want visit it: learningbrazilianguitar.com

Here I'm playing some pieces I wrote for a magazine about Brazilian guitar:

Samba:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3832Az2gc

Choro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ajtBzIybw

Baião:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMIdDfYIwo

Valsa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJ-cMvHZI4

You can get the scores here:
http://www.renatocandro.com/pecas.php

Best wishes.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Very interesting..
I'll stay in touch.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:16 PM

Thank you Renato.. fantastic playing.. I'll give a listen for sure to the rest of your videos on YT..

..When you started talking about your method, I was like wow.. everything was going great.. until you said you wrote in Portuguese..

I'm starting to think I should learn some Portuguese.. for real. If this would help me get to know more about Brazilian music, then why not!

You said Brazilian guitar has much of classical technique.. glad to know that cos that's what I'm willing to do now.. I'll study basic classical guitar technique to start with. I guess Brazilian players might not care, say, as much about getting a perfect tone when they play compared to classical players.. you might have something to say about that too since you certainly know better..

.. Interestingly, I've always asked myself what are the first couple things kids and beginners in Brazil learn when they start to play?.. Do you they start with a pick?! Or go for classical guitar right hand technique right from the start..?!

But anyways, glad to know about you upcoming website. hope it sees the light very soon.. and hopefully with enough free lessons for all the visitors (if possible of course).. Brazilian guitar is one of the finest music styles. It certainly deserves more online resources for exploring this beautiful music genre.

My best wishes to you too..

Last edited by NewGuitarist; 09-12-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Awesome videos renato
Great resource
Thanks for posting

The thing to add here is that all the Brazilian greats used rest stroke on the thumb which falls a little outside classical technique , ( which flamenco technique has a basic) particularly in the early stages anyway
Might be best to start with this from the beginning
Avoid the suspended thumb stroke

http://youtu.be/Nh15T-34eKM

A lot of the choro players used to use a thumb pick .. Such as dino 7 cordes .. Some still do

Great thread ...

Last edited by AlVal; 09-13-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Hello AlVal,

Mind if I PMed you? Got something a bit off-topic I wanna ask you about.. thanks.

Regards
Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Feel free
As long as it's not a discounted ray ban or Nike offer :-)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Hi Al, I enjoyed your videos too. You are a very good player either alone or within the trio.

Hi NewGuitarist, I will tell you how the things happened to me with the hope you can understand how the things are used to happen here.

I started learning by trying to play and sing traditional Brazilian music from Milton Nascimento, Toquinho, Tom Jobim, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, *and many other popular composers. If you watch videos from these musicians you will realize that most of them play nylon guitar with a similar technique of classical guitar, I mean, using the fingers and nails to play the strings instead of a pick. Once I started playing the called MPB (música popular brasileira), which actually is a mixture of styles like samba, choro, baião, xote, waltz, xaxado and even a taste of rock and roll, it was impossible to stay away from the music of Baden Powell since he used to play and compose music with Vinicius de Moraes (one of the most famous lyricist at that time). Then I started listen to Baden Powell, Raphael Rabello, Paulo Bellinati, Garoto, Dilermando Reis, Luiz Bonfá, Américo Jacomino, João Pernambuco, Paulinho Nogueira among others, and I learned the songs "by ear" (I don’t know if exist an expression like this in English), I was self-taught until 1989 when I went to study classical guitar.

When I started learning in 1975, at the age of 7, it was very difficult find guitar teachers who could teach how to play these types of music in a solo way, and for this reason people had to either study classical guitar or go to where these guitar players were (mainly in rodas de choro) to get in touch and to watch live the technique used for.

Today the things became easier and it's possible to start learning through traditional Brazilian songs thanks to some teachers who have dedicated themselves to teach Samba, Choro, Bossa Nova as these great guitarists who I quoted used to play.

So, as Al had said, I don’t know if you can learn this kind of music or technique inside a musical institute as standardized content. It depends on the kind of teacher you find inside it.

Cheers,
Renato.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Thanks Renato.. really appreciate that you took the time and shared your playing experience with us. That made things clearer for sure..

All the best
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM

Default clave

no one talked about the 2 elements crucial to understanding Latin music which is the clave and tunbao.. the intangible element is swing or ability to play in between triplets and 8th notes. in jazz and pop you clap on 2 and 4... in afro/Cuban you clap the clave / ..1.2../1.2.3/ or reversed. the Tumbao is a repeated figure which creates the grove . the bass . congas etc do that job. you should learn to tap the clave on the strings or body of the guitar to internalize this ..the easiest way to start is is a cha-cha Santana's cover of Tito Puente's Oyo Como Va Santana ads a back beat but you can steal feel the clave. exploring the songo, guanaguanco,monzambique and cha-cha will give you a foundation for this idom.....a good book I think is afro-Cuban groves for bass and drums by lincolin goines and robby amen...I relize your a guitar player but understanding why your play and how to play your bass notes and it relationship to the clave and percussion will round you out and make what you do behind the melodies rock.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 PM

I guess the general discussion is more about Brazilian music*
The the partido alto and it's reversed rhythm should have been mentioned earlier*
Good point .. Though the Cuban/son clave doesn't quite fit the region*
The bass is much straighter - like a polka - on one and two
Similarly with other South American music like the joropo for instance

I guess it's always good form for a guitarist to learn some basic percussion
Wether it clave, pandiero, Cajon etcetera*
Helps ingrain the groove*

So*
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partido_alto

Last edited by AlVal; 09-20-2014 at 06:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical