The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Cutaways on classicals, yea or nay?

Do they affect the sound significantly? I love the cutaway for reaching those high notes but I would hate to sacrifice a fuller sound.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
Do they affect the sound significantly? I love the cutaway for reaching those high notes but I would hate to sacrifice a fuller sound.
You're fine with an instrument of quality. I much prefer a cutaway on nylon string guitars and it's one of the reasons I switched to a Cervantes Crossover from a LaPatrie Collection. 12 frets clear of the body just is too short for me.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM

I'm in the crowd that thinks that no, a cutaway does not affect the sound in any significant way a person can hear. BUT… being built out of wood, I doubt you could get two "identical" guitars to sound alike anyway, cutaway or not.

Speaking as an engineering-type of person, I think there are too many variables involved to make a definitive statement on the subject.

Try some and buy what you like the sound of, and don't worry about the rest. When I had a custom nylon string guitar made, I specified a cutaway. But then I 'm weird, because I also wanted a zero fret.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
For traditional classical repertoire it's not needed. But I'd never want a guitar without one. Why put an unnecessary limitation on your instrument if you're playing arrangements other than the traditional pieces? No effect on tone to the point I'd ever go without one.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 PM

I'd vote nay.
I used the same logic when I purchased a high-end Lowden and never used it. It sounds like a good idea, but ultimately you must ask yourself "Do I play in a style that necessitates it?".

You can theorize about how little or how much a cutaway might detract from acoustic tone, but the bottom line is all of the vibrating surfaces contribute to tone. If you remove a portion of the top to accommodate a cutaway you sure aren't going to hear the portion that was removed. MOST players aren't going to notice much of a difference one way or the other.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Humanist

I have a somewhat traditional-build about to start with my friend Anders Sterner.

Anders builds completely traditional, but this guitar will indeed have a cutaway. Unlike a crossover, this instrument will have a flat radius fingerboard, and a full nut width (52mm, perhaps). I want a full classical feel, but with a cutaway...and it will also have a *very* short scale length, which Anders has indeed built previously.

I will say that I have had a tremendous learning experience in working with Anders as we have discussed sound/tonalities...far beyond anything I have even experienced in the steel-string world. While difficult for my hands, I have played on a number of different Sterner guitars with a 650 mm scale, with also particular voicings and particular woods...very enjoyable for me to touch and play his really great-sounding concert-quality instruments, each intentionally achieving a different/desired responsiveness and tone.

While I don't have any photos of the build (nor do I expect them), I can share this:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Nay for me, but, whatever blows yer skirt up.

With the styles I play, and my playing position (sitting, elevated left leg), I've never had a problem getting my hand where it needed to go.

Plus, I hate the look.

(Though, it doesn't bother me so much if it's an un-traditional looking guitar in other ways. I just hate to see a nice Spanish guitar with a bite taken out of it.)

Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Classically trained guitarists (and, fyi, cellists who have the same general geometry issues playing above the neck/body joint) can play above the 12th fret without a cutout without complaining about it

Whether you want a cutout or not is really a matter of personal style and preference. And while there could in theory be some difference in sound compared to non-cutaway, there are so many factors that affect sound on each individual guitar that you would be very hard pressed to make a convincing case that there is any substantive general effect on tone.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAtoQ3XsnE4

There are some other videos on his channels where he plays cutaway nylon strings.

I like them.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 AM

If you're really concerned about upper fret access, another option is an elevated fretboard. Numerous builders are utilizing this feature:

Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

A couple thoughts...

1) I think it depends on if you are playing classical music or something else
2) I think it depends on your playing position and training

For me, a player who plays jazz chord melody the decision was easy. I wanted upper fingerboard access for frequent complex chord changes and some single note runs. I don't typically play with an elevated left leg in a classical position. So the benefits of comfort and access outweighed any potential alterations in tone for me. I also would hesitate to call my instrument a "classical" but a "nylon string" guitar.

I do however believe a non-cutaway Concert guitar, perhaps with an elevated fingerboard is preferable route for a classical player.

My $.02
Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I can't say that I notice a difference in sound but I don't like the look. You could consider a raised finger board to make playing the high notes easier.

Guitars with a raised finger board are more expensive, but the ones that I have heard and played have a big, powerful sound. I find them easier to play.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM

If you need or want one, yes. If you don't, then no...

Nick
Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Definitely yea for me, and I wish more makers used them. I think they look good on classicals (the softer cutaways, not the pointy Venetian ones), and they' re also practical when you only have 12 frets to the body to play with.

For steel strings it's a different matter, though. I don't like any kind of cutaway on these unless it's a dread.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Definitely yea for me, and I wish more makers used them. I think they look good on classicals (the softer cutaways, not the pointy Venetian ones), and they' re also practical when you only have 12 frets to the body to play with.

For steel strings it's a different matter, though. I don't like any kind of cutaway on these unless it's a dread.
Venetian = rounded
Florentine = sharp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical