The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Hey folks,

I haven't participated in the forum for a while, but since I played Ted's pewter-colored Rainsong Parlor yesterday I thought I'd share my thoughts. In short, I was actually astounded how good the parlor sounded.

I was at Ted's to pick out a Martin 00-15M and I did walk out with one of them (had 3 to choose from - love that). But first I spent some time with the Rainsong Parlor. As Ted has said, it is indeed very warm. But to me what really struck me is that it was virtually devoid of any synthetic sound that I usually associate with carbon fiber. That, IMO, is a really big deal. It doesn't sound anything like any of the other Rainsongs, including the Shorty, and later on we compared it to a Larrivee parlor and it made that sound like a toy. We also compared to a used cargo Ted had in the shop and the Rainsong was significantly lighter, higher volume, and had superior balance. It basically sounds like a high-end parlor guitar. It's also really adorable. And it even strums nicely.

I'm still mostly a wood guy, and use my Rainsong Hybrid OM mostly when I travel, but if I owned the parlor it would get just as much play as my Martins. Yes, it sounded that good. I'm generally CF-skeptical/agnostic, and I'm not sure the parlor yet achieves the tonal complexity of many wood guitars, but it's super close and also hard to tell without trying different strings (I don't think Elixir Nano 80/20s offer the most complexity of tone).

Anyway, the parlor is a little out of my current price range, but I hold out hope for FT/hybrid versions in the future that might bring the price point down.

JD

[Added thought: I regret not bringing my Zoom-H2 along to make a few sound samples.]
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
[Added thought: I regret not bringing my Zoom-H2 along to make a few sound samples.]
Not too late JD.

BTW, I added some more side by side shots to this post including the Blackbird Lucky 13 and Rider.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM

A Parlor rainbow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber