The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 PM

Default Guitar making Classes?

Does anyone know any good guitar building classes in southern california? I want to build but I do not have any experience with woodworking and I dont have the room for any equipment.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelebon View Post
Does anyone know any good guitar building classes in southern california? I want to build but I do not have any experience with woodworking and I dont have the room for any equipment.
I live in Orange County , the woodworking supply place " Woodcraft " has a class with a shop on the facility in Fountain Valley. I don't know too much about it. I've just happened to see students there while I was getting a few things. There is a group " SIMSCAL" that is part of the class and I think offer more classes through local junior colleges...hope this helps
Old 05-25-2019, 08:49 AM

San Diego County has some
Where are you located to get specific?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM

If you have no woodworking experience you might be better off with a dulcimer or uke build for a first try...
Old 05-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Orange Coast College offered a guitar building class at one tiime,
I took it for a couple of semesters, they would take you through construction, less finishing,
I'm not sure if it's still offered, best to check the OCC website.

Also, the community college in the San Marcos/Vista area used to offer a guitar building class,
again I'm not sure if the class is still offered.

As already mentioned, Simscal offers a guitar building class once a year at Woodcraft in Fountain Valley,
the class will take you through the construction process, up to finishing, they don't teach or do any finishing.

If you seriously want to build a fine first guitar, I'd recommend contacting
George Leach at Phoenix Guitar Co. in Torrance, he teaches out of his shop,
you build from scratch, not a kit, he's an excellent and patient teacher.
https://www.phoenixguitarco.com/

I took a class with George and completed a OM deep body short scale guitar
it's a fine instrument, sounds great, here's a pic of George playing my finished guitar and a pic of me with the guitar.

IMG_4056 by Norton Graham, on Flickr
IMG_4061 by Norton Graham, on Flickr

Also, here's a link to a thread here on AGF where George photo documents a guitar class he did with Jeff Gibbs and his Friend Vic from New Zealand
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...Phoenix+Guitar

A note here, they did the class over a 15 day period because Vic was here on vacation from NZ,
normally, you have class one day a week over about a 4 - 5 month period of time.

Last edited by Nort; 05-25-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM

Here's a link to the SIMSCAL organization

I got the building bug and completed the Acoustic class last year. The class consisted of 20 consecutive 4 hour, Wed. nights, (5-9) at Woodcraft in Fountain Valley. Check the SIMSCAL website for current class fees and material needs. This is a scratch build project.
I really enjoyed the experience, learned a lot and I'm about to start my second build. If you decide to take the class, (and this is your first build) get yourself familiar with the steps, tools, jigs and materials ahead of time. YouTube along with AGF is loaded with helpful content. I can’t say enough good things about the AGF community here. The thoughtful comments and sharing of experience has been invaluable. If possible, attend one of the quarterly SIMSCAL meetings at Rockler in Orange. (dates are noted on their website)

This YouTube build series used the same Martin Dreadnought plans I used in class. Though some of the steps differ in approach or execution from the class, the end result is essentially the same. I found throughout the process demos, for each building step there were several other equally correct ways to achieve the same end result, which is part of the fun!
BTW, George Leach mentioned above is a somewhat regular at the SIMSCAL meetings. Shares many of his building techniques and materials with the group.

Best of luck!

Last edited by KottkeFan; 06-04-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM

buy a uke kit from stewmac and follow the videos. Once you do that youll be ready for a guitar.
Or contact Simms as their class this summer is a uke and is done at Orange coast college. I dont have a tele # but I have a contact person you can snail mail. They have a meet every couple months that is fun.
Dan Greene, Director of Communications
2354 Heather Ave
Long Beach, CA 90815

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair