The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Quick Review: Eastman AR610 @ Gryphon

If anyone is looking for a good preowned acoustic archtop, this is a very good example (I have no stake here...just an honest review). I got to play it yesterday and found it had all the good qualities of my AR805. This one had a slightly rounder and warmer voice...an excellent sounding and playing guitar!

Eastman AR610 @ Gryphon

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
If anyone is looking for a good preowned acoustic archtop, this is a very good example (I have no stake here...just an honest review). I got to play it yesterday and found it had all the good qualities of my AR805. This one had a slightly rounder and warmer voice...an excellent sounding and playing guitar!

Eastman AR610 @ Gryphon
I echo your sentiment. I've been by Gryphon a few times in the last several months and have also played that very guitar. I've been very tempted to buy it...priced fairly, beautiful condition and sounds wonderful. My big problem is I am moving to Denver in another month, and still trying to figure out how to get the (17) guitars I currently own, to Denver safely. Going to have to wait until I get established in my new city before dealing with my GAS.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post

Eastman AR610 @ Gryphon
Hi, I have an AR805, my second in fact.

There has been an AR605 available at a local (ish) dealers for some time.

I perceive Eastman acoustic archtops as warmer than more traditional
archtops - even those with traditional maple B&S. The Mahogany bodies should be even warmer.
Plus the 610 would be a 17" body as apposed to the 805 - 16" body.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM

I have carefully examined the 19 photos posted by Gryphon for this beautiful instrument...it looks like there is no room at all to lower the bridge on the future if needed...that is a warning sign...it signals an issue with the neck angle and a potential neck reset in the future, which will defeat the purpose of saving 2/300.00 dollars buying used instead of new.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I have carefully examined the 19 photos posted by Gryphon for this beautiful instrument...it looks like there is no room at all to lower the bridge on the future if needed...that is a warning sign...it signals an issue with the neck angle and a potential neck reset in the future, which will defeat the purpose of saving 2/300.00 dollars buying used instead of new.
Not sure how you can tell that. It looks to me that there is room to lower the bridge via the thumbwheels, but the photos are pretty small.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Had one of these on my radar for a while - just need to run it past the Home Accounting Department - but that's precisely why I prefer to buy new whenever possible...
Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:

Hey...good eye! Looks like there's still a bit of room on the treble side, more on the bass side. I can tell you the action is quite low (as per the typical Gryphon setup), thus I suspect a neck set would be down the road a bit. A quick call to Gryphon service to ask them to comment on this with the guitar in-hand would be helpful methinks.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops