The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Removing Guitar Armor

I just bought a high-end acoustic that the previous owner put Guitar Armor on the top on the treble bout down to the bridge. This is a product sold some years ago, and I don't think the original company is even in business anymore. So, it's been on it for awhile. Anyone ever have experience in removing this stuff? I might just be better off to leave it alone. Not sure.
Thanks in advance for any considered advice here.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Those static cling "protectors" can cause some real trouble with nitrocellulose lacquer, and a few other finishes as well. If it's a lacquer finished instrument, you can count on serious damage beneath the plastic when you take it off. If it's a recent vintage Taylor or other instrument with catalyzed polymer finish, it may be no problem at all. . .

Frank Ford
Old 04-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

It seems there are two Guitar Armor products: one a self adheisve and the other a static cling

Quote:
From Harmony Central's archives:

January 08, 2002

"Guitar Armor has introduced a new product line that has been carefully designed and now, introduced to the market as a simple way of keeping a guitar looking as new as possible.

Guitar Armor Inc. was founded a little over a year ago by a couple of guitar playing buddies who have always had a great fascination for the instrument, one of whom has actually been playing the guitar since the age of seven. They decided one day to find a way to protect a guitar from marks and scratches it is susceptible to, and where a pick guard is just not able to get the job done.

They went to work on creating something that would work for them and that they would be able to count on to protect their instruments. What they came up with after much thought, trial and error, is something that could be regarded as a breakthrough in guitar protection.

They were so happy with the results from this new creation that they decided to make it available to others. Their company aim is to make Guitar Armor "available in every store possible and within convenient grasp of anyone who owns a guitar".

The Guitar Armor kit includes four pieces of clear urethane film that is placed above and below the guitar strings, a piece for the center of the back of a guitar and a universal piece to be placed in any other vulnerable area on the guitar.

Guitar Armor is virtually invisible after application and will keep new finishes looking good, and older finishes protected from further damage. It is designed to be easily removed and not leave a residue when peeled off the surface of the guitar."

From the Oasis website:

"Guitar ArmorŠ

Classical guitars, with their delicate finishes, are easily damaged by fingernails. Guitar ArmorŠ, made from static cling vinyl, will protect the finish without requiring any adhesive. Guitar ArmorŠ is applied before playing the instrument and removed after practicing. It can be reused over and over again.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. Frank: I wrote you a PM with a couple of questions. Hope you don't mind. The guitar is a '93 Olson. I have been researching all evening, and I read where Jim uses a polyester finish. I just assumed he used nitro, but maybe not. Seems if the finish is polyester, the removal is much less problematic. Does anyone know what finish Olson guitars were using in '93?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair