The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-29-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1, my thoughts too.

PTony, I switch back and forth between electrics/acoustics and I'm glad I never got rid of guitars I loved, even if at the time they got very little playing time. If you had an 'average' J-45 that may be a different story but those special guitars are hard to come by.
Make that plus two. (I too switch back and forth and a good J45 is a keeper).
Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1, my thoughts too.

PTony, I switch back and forth between electrics/acoustics and I'm glad I never got rid of guitars I loved, even if at the time they got very little playing time. If you had an 'average' J-45 that may be a different story but those special guitars are hard to come by.
Yes count me in here also. Change is the only constant in the universe and ya never know what you will be doing or want to do 5 -10 years from now .
Currently I am on an electric "kick" as per my latest thread about a new REVV amp and Port City cab . But I have my three "keeper" acoustics that will stay in my little guitar alcove. And count me as also as thinking electric is just as fun at home as my acoustics.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Sell it. It may be an excellent example of an iconic guitar - but the fact that you take the small, humble Yamaha out instead speaks volumes to me, anyways.

I will never own another guitar larger than an OM, just not comfortable for me to play. Sell it, and buy that Duesenberg. When the itch to play acoustic strikes, you'll still have the Yamaha - which is what you're mostly using now.

When the time is right to buy another acoustic, you'll know it and It won't be a Dread or AJ from the sounds of it. There are a lot of great sounding guitars out there in all shapes, sizes and price ranges too.

I know that for many, the fullness and bigness of the dread sound is worth ignoring any discomfort to play, but not for me.

I am also going through a phase of enjoying the electric far more than the acoustic, but our ongoing gigs prevents me from going totally electric at the time.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-29-2019, 04:32 PM

WARNING - Highly Opinionated Post!!!

I would KEEP the J45 and leave it out to play instead of the Yamaha. I think that J45s blend great with electric guitars in recording, and if you ever get serious recording your own songs having a J45 in your quiver can't hurt. And as for you taking the Yamaha out for open mics, or using it for practice. The same things can be done with the J45. You just have to stop treating the J45 like some precious object, and treat it like a guitar, in other words, use it. It's bought and paid for, and it's a tool. I can't count the amount of times where I've babied guitars because they were more expensive than the ones I'd been using. I regret doing that and recently that behaviour has been put to bed, and I am much happier for it. I put a pickup in two acoustic guitars that I swore I would keep at home and baby, one in a David Webber Roundbody, the other in a Nowland James SJ. The gigs I've done with these guitars since have been a joy!!! And a Duesenberg is just another variation of electric guitar that to me is no better than what you have already. I've played the most expensive of Duesenbergs and never did I hear anything that sounded unique or better than any electric guitar that I own. And although you don't own any of the upper end Gretsches, I've been on record of saying some of the Korean Gretsch guitars I've played felt like truly professional instruments. And Duesenberg guitars are built in Korea (the body/neck assembly, and then sent to germany for final setup, and how much of that Duesenberg won't cop to, they are VERY vague), so I think they are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. And the things you sold off, to me were not really in the same league to me, TRRI, Lacquered Blues Jr, etc, as a good sounding J45. J45s are classic guitar for a reason. And in the grand scheme of things a stock J45 is not really even an expensive guitar. I've been recording guitars for years and I can't think of one model of acoustic guitar that I own that has made it on to more recording of mine than a J45.

The only reason I would sell it is if you didn't bond with neck shape wise, or tone wise. If you like those things, keep it.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 PM

A friend of mine has 25 electric guitars and basically only plays at home. I believe he has one acoustic that never gets played essentially.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-30-2019, 04:02 PM

I play my Martin regularly down by the river.

Playing one of my electric's (unplugged) just wouldn't be the same.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Seems a shame as electrics are no fun played at home, but it's your gig.
What?! I LOVE playing my electrics at home.

I also jam with friends, and the occasional gig - but I still love playing electrics at home as well.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 AM

I would not sell it. Every guitar player should have a great acoustic (and it's a bonus that it's a great slope). Even if you find yourself playing electric more, you might regret that move. I played electric mostly in my 20s and 30s and now it's 99% acoustic. Yet, I retain a couple of great electric guitars just in case.

You are still quite young... you are far from set in your ways musically. You may want to go to all acoustic in another 6-8 years.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

...you can always reacquire a great Gibson J-45....they are not that rare...just start a thread with the title “who has a great J-45” and see how many responses you get....

.....sell it and buy the guitar that is gonna float your boat now....
Old 12-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Considering selling/trading my J-45...which is a huge decision. But, I play electric 99% of the time, only using my office Yamaha to write/chart etc.

I do play the Gibson, but I gravitate more to my electric guitars, and have fallen in love with Gretsch guitars specifically. That being said IF I decided to sell/trade (*and it’s a BIG if), I’d like to get a Duesenberg. Preferably a 59 with a Trem. I’ve been looking, reading, researching info on them for some time now.

The funny thing is...10 years ago I only played acoustics. I’d started on an electric 36 years ago at the age of 8. I then transitioned to purely acoustics (owning everything from Taylor, Larrivee, Martin, Langejans, Santa Cruz, Gibson, Seagull, Yamaha, and on and on) in my early 20’s until midgclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzal38nUWbr5cOpK9Hh 31DdowMHNRb9pSsUtrIjk1FKognnu6pN6r_dhoCLnAQAvD_BwE

I’m not sure how I ended up making the move back to primarily playing electrics, but it’s what I grab most often now. Maybe it was after my back surgery where the hardware made it harder to sit holding larger bodied guitars. That is certainly a factor in my thinking now.

Regardless as much as I LOVE everything about my J-45, I certainly don’t play it as much as I should. Of course there’d always be a chance of “sellers remorse” as I’ve played quite a few J-45’s and this is certainly one that stands out and is worth owning. The K&K sounds great. I’ve set it up to play fantastic with .013’s., it’s a phenomenal guitar.

But as I mentioned, I play my Electric’s far more. I guess this is a good “problem” to have. As much as we all say, “this ones a lifer”, or, “I will NEVER trade/sell this one”...we all know better. But, I do feel strongly that if I moved it on the likelihood of me buying another higher end acoustic would be slim to none.

I’m sure many here would feel just the opposite and have a purely acoustic focus/desire. I used to be one of them. It seems that, “Times, they are a changing”...
Do you mean a Duesenberg like this one.?? "ya, just like that one." Wow....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...hoCLnAQAvD_BwE
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM

I say keep at least one great acoustic in your stable. But, I can totally relate to you, although I'm a bit opposite.

I grew up all things electric. Heck, from age 13 to 30, all I cared about was electric guitar. I had a single Seagull S6 that served me well. On a whim, I purchased a nice acoustic and the rest is history. I suddenly "got it" and understood the intricacies of acoustics and wood choice and why they all sound so different. I also have a young child so playing electric just stopped.

Funny thing is that my electric days were riddled with buying amps, pedals, and turning knobs. With acoustic, I actually play the instrument and I've gotten worlds better the past few years.

However, the electric bug has bitten me again and quite swiftly. I sold a super sweet D-18 and bought a Helix and a Marshall Stack. I like them, but the Marshall is loud and the Helix is a chore to dial in sometimes when I should be playing. I'm about ready to sell the Helix, keep the Marshall, but get my D-18 back!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Tick me off on the 'sell it' side of the vote too. I'm sure there is some guitarist out there that will give the time and enjoyment to that guitar that it deserves. If it turns out to just be a phase then cross that bridge when you come to it. It's just a guitar and there are hundreds of thousands of other ones out there waiting for you when the time is right.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I’m certainly weighing everything that’s been said. Thank you all for your input. Honestly.

I admit I’ve been seriously enamored with my electric rigs. And, have focused much of my playing time on them. I should add that I’ve primarily played my electrics 90% of the time for a few years now. Both live, and at home/studio.

I found the comments regarding Duesenbergs interesting. Are they really that underwhelming? Perusing some reviews/discussions I’ve found similar findings mentioned. In fact, there have been some who claim that the Korean Electromatic line are preferred to the Duesenberg line. While I can’t speak to that (having never played a Duesenberg), I can say that the Korean models I own punch well above their price point.

I’d be very interested to hear any comments relating to the Gretsch Proline guitars, and how they compare to both the Electromatic line and the Duesenberg line. As much as I love my Electromatics...could I love a Proline more?!

Honestly I’m struggling with direction here. Over the last few months I’ve worked very hard to downsize, focusing on owning gear that meets my tonal expectations, whiles striving to be unswayed by G.A.S. (Nearly impossible I know lol). Some “holy grail” pieces have come and gone. Tbh, I don’t miss anything that I’ve moved on.

The real dilemma is the J-45. I realize that I am going to have to decide which direction to go. If I were to move the J-45 it would be to move into a higher tier electric. But, as mentioned, it would have to be VERY special.

These are good “problems” to have I suppose. Thx again for the input/perspectives. I certainly don’t want to make a decision that I’ll regret, but I also don’t want to have a great piece of gear sitting unused when someone else could give it the attention that it deserves.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-08-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
....Seems a shame as electrics are no fun played at home, but it's your gig.
Really?

There's nothing like watching the windows buckle and vibrating stuff off the shelves if you ask me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars