The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
AC4 1x12 going back. Tube rattle. Not uncommon in combo amps. Especially when they place the tubes behind the speaker. Also, a bit boxy sounding. I believe the cab is too small for the 12” speaker to push much air. Also, the closed back makes it retain a ton of heat. Honestly it really made me appreciate my Lacquered Blues Junior. Bummed. But, it’s not like I don’t have a nice amp.
So why did you sell the Blues Jr? Did the replacement Vox sound good?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Honestly, I loved the tone I get from my Gretsch guitars running through my Vox MV50 Clean on my live/fly rig. That little head began a new tonal journey. And, as much as I loved the Tweed tones, I seemed to prefer them more with my Fender guitars. When I moved to all Gretsch guitars I found myself being smitten by the Vox tones more and more.

So, I tried out a couple AC4’s (one had terrible tube rattle and was sent back for a replacement) and although they may be a great fit for some...I found they simply didn’t sound “full” enough for me. I do believe the cabinet size is to blame to some degree. It certainly seems as if the 12” speaker is a great idea, but the cab size limits airflow.

I’m sure that a tube and speaker replacement may have helped...but the truth is I’d of always felt like I should’ve just bought the AC15 rather than upgrade the 4 and still have a cab that I feel was a big part of the problem.

So I sent the AC4 back...somewhat bummed. My son wanted to do a music store road trip and I was able to play an AC15C1 with Celestion Greenback. That was the sound/tones I’d been looking for!

It will arrive tomorrow. I was able to trade my spare/brand new Archer Ikon for a Crowther Hotcake. Which I’ve heard/read is a great match with Vox amps. It should be here Saturday. I’m certainly looking forward to paring these together. So, while the AC4 wasn’t what I wanted in the long run, it lead me to the AC15.

Nothing against the Lacquered BJ. They really are fantastic amps! Very versatile. Great pedal platforms. Easy to transport. Plenty of volume. And although I preferred my Fender guitars through it, my Gretsch guitars certainly didn’t sound bad. I simply prefer the Vox tones with “That Great Gretsch Sound”.

If I hadn’t been in “minimizing mode”, keeping only what I’ll use on a regular basis...whether on my live rig or at home/studio, I would’ve kept the Tweed also. I’d of had no problem owning both amps.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 11-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I loved the tone I get from my Gretsch guitars running through my Vox MV50 Clean on my live/fly rig. That little head began a new tonal journey. And, as much as I loved the Tweed tones, I seemed to prefer them more with my Fender guitars. When I moved to all Gretsch guitars I found myself being smitten by the Vox tones more and more.

So, I tried out a couple AC4’s (one had terrible tube rattle and was sent back for a replacement) and although they may be a great fit for some...I found they simply didn’t sound “full” enough for me. I do believe the cabinet size is to blame to some degree. It certainly seems as if the 12” speaker is a great idea, but the cab size limits airflow.

I’m sure that a tube and speaker replacement may have helped...but the truth is I’d of always felt like I should’ve just bought the AC15 rather than upgrade the 4 and still have a cab that I feel was a big part of the problem.

So I sent the AC4 back...somewhat bummed. My son wanted to do a music store road trip and I was able to play an AC15C1 with Celestion Greenback. That was the sound/tones I’d been looking for!

It will arrive tomorrow. I was able to trade my spare/brand new Archer Ikon for a Crowther Hotcake. Which I’ve heard/read is a great match with Vox amps. It should be here Saturday. I’m certainly looking forward to paring these together. So, while the AC4 wasn’t what I wanted in the long run, it lead me to the AC15.

Nothing against the Lacquered BJ. They really are fantastic amps! Very versatile. Great pedal platforms. Easy to transport. Plenty of volume. And although I preferred my Fender guitars through it, my Gretsch guitars certainly didn’t sound bad. I simply prefer the Vox tones with “That Great Gretsch Sound”.

If I hadn’t been in “minimizing mode”, keeping only what I’ll use on a regular basis...whether on my live rig or at home/studio, I would’ve kept the Tweed also. I’d of had no problem owning both amps.
Well I think you'll be happy with the Vox AC15C1, they really are good sounding amps, and they've improved them since when they were first reissued. The first improvement was the reverb, the second, the speaker. I had one with the Celestion Greenback and not only did it sound good with the Gretsch guitars, it sounded great with my Les Pauls and Tele's.
I think you'll like it. I only sold mine to buy the AC15HW which I thought would sound more vintage, but frankly I could dial in a better low volume tone with the AC15C1. I've never been a fan of Blues Jrs, but I am a big fan of the AC15C1. Not only was it good for the typical Vox chime, it was also had a really great thick mid blues tone. Here's a clip of the one I had with my Heritage H150 guitar...

Old 11-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well I think you'll be happy with the Vox AC15C1, they really are good sounding amps, and they've improved them since when they were first reissued. The first improvement was the reverb, the second, the speaker. I had one with the Celestion Greenback and not only did it sound good with the Gretsch guitars, it sounded great with my Les Pauls and Tele's.
I think you'll like it. I only sold mine to buy the AC15HW which I thought would sound more vintage, but frankly I could dial in a better low volume tone with the AC15C1. I've never been a fan of Blues Jrs, but I am a big fan of the AC15C1. Not only was it good for the typical Vox chime, it was also had a really great thick mid blues tone. Here's a clip of the one I had with my Heritage H150 guitar...

Nice playing! Thx For sharing that. Any pics of the Heritage?

Honestly the Tweed BJ with Jensen is head and shoulders above the standard BJ. But, the Vox is certainly a different animal tone wise.

You’re absolutely correct. Really great sounding amps.This is the greenback version. I’m not sure I’ll use the reverb or if I’ll continue using my Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master for my reverb/delay. The beauty of that pedal is that I can take either reverb and/or the delay out. Or use them simultaneously. Terrific dual pedal.

The trem will certainly be used. I’ve not spent long with it so far, and I’m still waiting for the Hotcake but first blush...very pleased. Great tone. Full and chimey as expected. Looking forward to the Hotcake arriving.

I’ll report back after I’ve had a bit more time to get it dialed in, but early impressions are very, very good. MUCH better then the AC4. Worlds apart actually.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Nice playing! Thx For sharing that. Any pics of the Heritage?

Honestly the Tweed BJ with Jensen is head and shoulders above the standard BJ. But, the Vox is certainly a different animal tone wise.

You’re absolutely correct. Really great sounding amps.This is the greenback version. I’m not sure I’ll use the reverb or if I’ll continue using my Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master for my reverb/delay. The beauty of that pedal is that I can take either reverb and/or the delay out. Or use them simultaneously. Terrific dual pedal.

The trem will certainly be used. I’ve not spent long with it so far, and I’m still waiting for the Hotcake but first blush...very pleased. Great tone. Full and chimey as expected. Looking forward to the Hotcake arriving.

I’ll report back after I’ve had a bit more time to get it dialed in, but early impressions are very, very good. MUCH better then the AC4. Worlds apart actually.
I think you're really going to love the amp! That clip I did was straight in, no pedals. Here's my Heritage...

Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM

whoops double post
Old 11-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I think you're really going to love the amp! That clip I did was straight in, no pedals. Here's my Heritage...

Beautiful guitar! Wow. And some amazing playing too! Such great use of dynamics in your playing. You've got great touch sensitivity.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I’m so glad I went with the AC15! What a great amp. Not sure what the fuss is regarding people saying they don’t take pedals well. To me, it’s no different than any amp...you have to have the RIGHT pedals. Matched with my spark mini boost, hotcake, Earthquaker Dispatch Master, and G5622...sublime. Such great tones. Smooth, chimney cleans and fantastic grit. Especially with the amp set to near breakup, and the hotcake engaged. What an amazing pedal it is. Now I understand all the hype over them. And the cost.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so content with my home/studio tone. I really dig my live rig on all fronts, but have always struggled with my home/studio tone.

My son (who is a fantastic guitar player, but leans towards the heavier side of tone) played for nearly 40 minutes. He’s NEVER played my rig that long.

I’ve owned a LOT of gear and have enjoyed each and every moment of buying, selling, trading, and trying new flavors of guitars, amps, and effects. But I’m at a point in my life where I just want the tone I hear in my head to be the tone I get..whether live or at home. If I’m not there yet, I’m closer then I’ve ever been.

I’m not naive enough to say I’ll never buy another guitar, amp, pedal or piece of gear. But, I can say that I’m really happy with the current gear choices.

And to think, it all started with a Gretsch G5620T-CB in black...
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-01-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Start with a clean platform

I'm partial to Fender blackface cleans. In what I do there's no call for a Marshall stack, so a DRRI and a PRRI cover all my bases with the appropriate pedals. At the volumes I play, an overdrive pedal is a necessity and the PRRI SE with a 12" (33lbs) is actually my weekly gig amp. Have considered an AC-15 for "That tone", I wish they weren't so heavy is all.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I'm partial to Fender blackface cleans. In what I do there's no call for a Marshall stack, so a DRRI and a PRRI cover all my bases with the appropriate pedals. At the volumes I play, an overdrive pedal is a necessity and the PRRI SE with a 12" (33lbs) is actually my weekly gig amp. Have considered an AC-15 for "That tone", I wish they weren't so heavy is all.
Sweet. What OD do you use? Also, what is the SE in PRRI SE? I know it's the Princeton Reissue.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I sold my 65 TRRI but completely understand being partial to that tone. But man, the weight was brutal. I’d moved to a lacquered Fender BJ Tweed w/ Jensen. It was certainly much lighter. And, had those fantastic Fender cleans. Paired with a TS it sang.

Having said that, after MANY years as a “Fender Guy”, I’d finally tried an AC15 with my Gretsch guitars. Although it is certainly heavier then the BJ (I’m 44 with hardware and screws in my back), it was a perfect match tonally.

I will admit that I don’t haul gear very often anymore. My live rig stays onstage, and my home/studio rig rarely leaves the house. But, even though the Vox weighs in at about 48 lbs, the tonal joy I get when I do haul it...is worth it.

I tried the AC4 (specifically for the weight) and although it had some positive attributes, I felt the cab was too small to really move air. I’ve played an AC10 and was impressed with it. And, it only weighed about 27 lbs. Maybe it would be a good “middle ground” alternative weight wise.

Or, you could always give the Vox MV50 heads a try. I have a “Clean” on my live rig and absolutely love it. And, it fits on a pedal board.

Just some options that are available for someone searching for Vox tone without the weight. I didn’t think I could’ve been swayed from my love of Fender amps...until I played through a Vox. FWIW/YMMV/IMHO and the like.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-01-2019, 10:53 AM

The mission statement of my amp is to provide a good clean tone (and reverb) at stage volume. I use a Barber Direct Drive and Gain Changer for OD. I have been using a Carvin X-Amp since 1985 and a DRRI since 2010. All is well.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

So far I now have one of each.
I have a one channel 50 watt tube, Supro Titan 1X10 combo with a 1X12 extension cab. It is has a lot of clean head room and has on board tube driven reverb and tremolo .
I just ordered a one channel 20 watt tube REVV D 20, BUT it has onboard Two Notes Torpedo unit with modeling software

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars