The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-22-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Another choice is to buy a used OOO - and I notice that there is a used Circa OOO for sale in The North American Guitar currently
At a price! That's 4K more than a brand new Bown.

Going direct to a UK luthier for the OP means no import charges and no VAT (assuming they don't sell their guitars via a dealer; most sole luthiers don't). That's a very substantial saving.

Of course, the pressing issue is that you then have to wait for your guitar to be built, but I've always thought waiting was the best bit!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-22-2019, 05:20 AM

To throw another name into the ring (don't think he's been mentioned). Dave King Acoustics.

I've never played any of his guitars so cannot speak personally for him but he makes guitars in the more traditional style. He is based in Newbury.

http://www.daveking-acoustics.com/gu...l/000-12-fret/

Cheers,
Glenn.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
What's the ballpark for Bown guitars? I heard there a 4 year waiting list!!
Fender 'Nashville' Telecaster
Gordon Smith GS1.5
Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 AM

https://vintageandrareguitars.com/pr...ustic-guitars/
May be worth checking these out. A nice Circa 000 in stock.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM

What about Brook guitars down in Devon, or Fylde guitars in Penrith.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Coincidentally a Brazilian rosewood/German spruce Bown OMX up for sale on guitarmart (i don't know the seller). It won't hang around long...
Old 02-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
What about Brook guitars down in Devon, or Fylde guitars in Penrith.

Agree...I think Brook guitars is definitely worth exploring...they have some interesting models...

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
What's the ballpark for Bown guitars? I heard there a 4 year waiting list!!
Best to ask Ralph yourself but last time I asked it was 5-6K depending on the woods, cutaway etc. That is an awful lot of guitar from a builder with a legendary reputation. I have said several times that I've never come across a better woodworker - his fit and finish is immaculate. Guitars sound good also!

There is a lot of B.S. around regarding Ralph's build time etc. A lot of that is due to the fact that he's not particularly interested in being in the public eye (hence no website etc.). A lot of that is because he likes to keep his waiting time below 2 years - he doesn't feel at all comfortable with the longer times that seem a badge of honour for some builders. He also gets a lot of return work since his clients love his guitars and often want another, and he feels bad if they then have to wait ages. He did slow down when he moved workshop, but that was many years ago.

He delivered an OMX to me 18 months after I'd ordered, albeit 9 years back.

There are plenty here who can PM Ralph's email address.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Going direct to a UK luthier for the OP means no import charges and no VAT (assuming they don't sell their guitars via a dealer; most sole luthiers don't). That's a very substantial saving.

Of course, the pressing issue is that you then have to wait for your guitar to be built, but I've always thought waiting was the best bit!

Cheers,
Steve
Most of the one man/small factory builders I looked at for this had base prices of £2750- £3k.

A poor exchange rate and the CITES issues have put most US made instruments out of consideration for most - Collings, H&D, etc., are £4.5- £5.5k (even if you can find them).
Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Most of the one man/small factory builders I looked at for this had base prices of £2750- £3k.

A poor exchange rate and the CITES issues have put most US made instruments out of consideration for most - Collings, H&D, etc., are £4.5- £5.5k (even if you can find them).
One differentiator may be that Ralph Bown has been building far longer than most current British luthiers, almost as long as Stefan Sobell, i believe. As a result his guitars were used by the likes of the late John Pearse and John Rembourn, and currently by virtuoso Cliva Carroll.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:49 PM

Some great suggestions and advice guys. Much appreciated! There is a slight twist to the tale in that for financial reasons I'm having to part ways with my Matsuda (currently with TNAG on consignment). We just had a baby this year and life just got a whole lot more serious! So I'm clearing debts and trying to find a new guitar #1 with the change, essentially. Trying to keep it within £6k.
The dream guitar for me would be a combination of the Matsuda and a 000 12 fret (I previously had a Collings 0002H with a really special amazing tone, but no cutaway). The Matsuda was like an epic grand piano, but I did miss the mid range response and thickness of the 000 and also it's slightly thicker neck. I've been going on the assumption that this is probably not possible to achieve within my budget (hence the search for a 00012cut), but I'm starting to think there may be a way. I had a long conversation this afternoon with Karan Singh from Bigfoot guitars. What a lovely guy! As he's an ex apprentice of Jason Kostal's and therefore part of the Somogyi family tree of influence, I think he may be able to get close to the M1 with his OM. He can do me one of his OMC's modified for 12 fret neck join with some stunning woods, and tuned to my taste, within my budget and deliverable by the end of this year. I'm certainly up for a trip to Delhi to collect it also. Things are starting to get interesting...

Current:
Matsuda M1 Cutaway, Braz/Ital (2009)

Previous:
Collings 0002H, IR/Sit (2012)
Collings 0002EC, IR/Ger (2000)
Taylor 324ce L10, Koa/Koa (2005)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRundall View Post
I had a long conversation this afternoon with Karan Singh from Bigfoot guitars. What a lovely guy! As he's an ex apprentice of Jason Kostal's and therefore part of the Somogyi family tree of influence, I think he may be able to get close to the M1 with his OM. He can do me one of his OMC's modified for 12 fret neck join with some stunning woods, and tuned to my taste, within my budget and deliverable by the end of this year. I'm certainly up for a trip to Delhi to collect it also. Things are starting to get interesting...
Nick,

I think you will be extremely pleased with what Karan is doing! I can't wait to hear more about it!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As he's an ex apprentice of Jason Kostal's and therefore part of the Somogyi family tree of influence
Hi Nick,
While it's true that Karan Singh has been mentored by Jason Kostal, he is not an ex-apprentice (something that implies years, or at least months, of time working under Jason). So if you are really looking to continue your Matsuda timbral experience via another branch of "the Somogyi family tree of influence," Bigfoot Guitars is unlikely to fit the bill.
That's not meant to be a knock on Karan Singh. By all accounts his guitars are excellent and Jason speaks very highly of them (and him). I'm just saying that describing him as an "ex-apprentice" is misleading and it's a real stretch to include him in the Somogyi School when Jason states (below starting at 26:55) that Karan visited his shop for "a couple weeks."
Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Some great suggestions and advice guys. Much appreciated! There is a slight twist to the tale in that for financial reasons I'm having to part ways with my Matsuda (currently with TNAG on consignment). We just had a baby this year and life just got a whole lot more serious! So I'm clearing debts and trying to find a new guitar #1 with the change, essentially. Trying to keep it within £6k.
The dream guitar for me would be a combination of the Matsuda and a 000 12 fret (I previously had a Collings 0002H with a really special amazing tone, but no cutaway). The Matsuda was like an epic grand piano, but I did miss the mid range response and thickness of the 000 and also it's slightly thicker neck. I've been going on the assumption that this is probably not possible to achieve within my budget (hence the search for a 00012cut), but I'm starting to think there may be a way. I had a long conversation this afternoon with Karan Singh from Bigfoot guitars. What a lovely guy! As he's an ex apprentice of Jason Kostal's and therefore part of the Somogyi family tree of influence, I think he may be able to get close to the M1 with his OM. He can do me one of his OMC's modified for 12 fret neck join with some stunning woods, and tuned to my taste, within my budget and deliverable by the end of this year. I'm certainly up for a trip to Delhi to collect it also. Things are starting to get interesting...
You should talk to Matthew Arcara! He can build an amazing 000 12F! Matt learned from Julius Borges & John Slobod. John shares the workshop with Matt! His price should be OK with your budget range.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 PM

What you have now posted is quite different from what you had originally asked. I personally dont think it is possible to find one guitar that will give you all those qualities a sufficiently high level, particularly within your 6k gbp budget. For one thing a grand piano sound may in some ways be running at odds with a more direct mid range. Far easier to find it in two diff guitars that major at different things because there isnt one guitar that does it all.

It would also be difficult to find another guitar of the same or similar tone and quality of a Matsuda within 6k. I once owned a matsuda and have played a guitar made by another ex apprentice of somogyi and they do not belong in the same tonal family nor do they exist at the same tonal quality to me. There is a reason why Michi Matsuda is recognised generally as being the greatest apprentice Ervin Somogyi ever had...

I agree that Bigfoot Guitars will most likely give you an entirely diff tonal profile as he is a mostly self taught luthier and so if you are looking for a matsuda like tone it wouldn't be a good idea to go with him. Mind you he could give you a great tone but it will be his tone and you may or may not like it...

Since you live in uk, naybe the safest bet is for you to try to play different UK luthier made guitars at your budget until you find a guitar that meets what you are looking for or comes closest and commission from that luthier. Or better still, make an offer to buy the very guitar that impressed you...

Quote:

Last edited by gitarro; 02-28-2019 at 07:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop