The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Default As a solo performer, do you really need a mixer?

So if you are mostly performing solo....just you and your guitar and vocals...do you really need a mixer? Will it improve your overall sound or is it just to have more channels available if folks want to sit in? I am currently just plugging straight into my Fishman SA220 but wonder if adding a mixer will do anything for me?

thanks
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So if you are mostly performing solo....just you and your guitar and vocals...do you really need a mixer? Will it improve your overall sound or is it just to have more channels available if folks want to sit in? I am currently just plugging straight into my Fishman SA220 but wonder if adding a mixer will do anything for me?

thanks
Short answer: No. You do not need a mixer. The SA220 is perfectly acceptable for good sound based on personal experience. I owned and gigged an SA220 for several years.

An external mixer would allow other musicians to play with you through the same system, but as a solo musician, all it would do is give you more EQ or Effect options.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Not sure what tone-shaping capabilities your Fishman has on board, but I like to add some compression and reverb to my solo sound to fatten it up a bit.

I use my amp as a monitor, and run both guitar and vocals through a small mixer to the house through one (or two, depending on the size of the room) JBL EON powered speakers on stands. I also use a Shure SM-57 in front of the guitar to add in a little warmth, in addition to the pickup, so I need a minimum of three channels.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM

I play multiple instruments when I perform solo (steel string guitar, classical guitar, archtop guitar, lap steel guitars, and fiddle).

I like using a mixer for running my reverb and delay pedals into the FX loop of the mixer.

I have my instruments all plugged in and ready to go. No unplugging/plugging anything when changing instruments.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 AM

In small venues I do fine with my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I don't need a mixer, and I don't need a laser light show.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 AM

If I don't need an extra mic channel for someone else, I'll usually just go mic and guitar straight into my Bose Compact. Works great, and actually like it best this way.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
If I don't need an extra mic channel for someone else, I'll usually just go mic and guitar straight into my Bose Compact. Works great, and actually like it best this way.
Hey, me too! I like it best just straight into the amp with mic and guitar. The simplicity works for me.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM

That Fishman already has a mixer, so you don't need one.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Guest 728

No, you don't "need" a mixer, but you might enjoy the features it offers. I vastly prefer the expanded EQ that a mixer can provide, and as 815C said, the ability to use an effects loop for pedals.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Yes but a very basic one at that....2 channels with reverb, EQ's for bass, treble & mid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
That Fishman already has a mixer, so you don't need one.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes but a very basic one at that....2 channels with reverb, EQ's for bass, treble & mid.
Most small mixers will have those exact same controls.

Is there anything you are wanting your PA to do that it's not currently doing?
Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 AM

Need? No.

Might benefit from one? Definitely.

The EQ on the Fishman is decent, but limited. Adding a nice small format mixer like the Soundcraft EFX 8 will give you so much more control. Mid sweeps, better pre's, more musical EQ, channel mutes, faders, and more channels.

PLUS: it will give you the ability to put the speaker where it makes the most sense sonically and still be able to reach the controls for adjustments. That alone is reason enough for me.

Although the SA220/330 units are nice and sound good, their basic EQ section can be insufficient in tough sounding rooms. I'd rather have one decent powered top and a mixer over the all in one units.

I dropped by my friends gig at a restaurant for their 1 year anniversary party. He had his SA220 and there was so much bar chatter that he was getting drown out.

I was coming from a gig, so I had my EFX 8 with me and, per his request, brought it in and fixed the sound for him. The mid sweeps made all the difference.

Again, the all in one units seem like a great idea, and they are, until you run into a tough room.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-14-2019, 11:34 AM

As others have said, you do not "need" a mixer unless the room your in and the background noise is an issue. I have a mixer but I also own a Fishman 120 watt Loudbox Artist Amp and an Alto 200 watt powered speaker. I could run my line out from the Fishman to the Alto and pretty much blow the doors off of even a large room or play outdoors.Since I'm in a duet and my partner has the same stuff, it's a moot point. As far as EQ, the Fishman and the Alto have all I need and the Fishman has multiple effects to choose from. That's my setup. For me, using my mixer just creates one more pain in the rear I don't really need.
Since you're using a P.A. System, it might make sense for some situations.
There are some benefits with a mixer for sure.
If you get one, my recommendation is buy something with more than four channels and two is out of the question. You never know what you might need down the road.
F.Y.I., my Yamaha mixer has 10 channels, great effects and other stuff that could come in handy. A two channel costs half as much ($99), but is pretty limited in its functions.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-14-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 PM

Great info! So what did you for your friend to "fix" the sound to be heard above the chatter? What exactly did you do to the mid sweeps? Is the idea to find a mid frequency that's not competing with the chatter? Did you accomplish this without raising his volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Need? No.

Might benefit from one? Definitely.

The EQ on the Fishman is decent, but limited. Adding a nice small format mixer like the Soundcraft EFX 8 will give you so much more control. Mid sweeps, better pre's, more musical EQ, channel mutes, faders, and more channels.

PLUS: it will give you the ability to put the speaker where it makes the most sense sonically and still be able to reach the controls for adjustments. That alone is reason enough for me.

Although the SA220/330 units are nice and sound good, their basic EQ section can be insufficient in tough sounding rooms. I'd rather have one decent powered top and a mixer over the all in one units.

I dropped by my friends gig at a restaurant for their 1 year anniversary party. He had his SA220 and there was so much bar chatter that he was getting drown out.

I was coming from a gig, so I had my EFX 8 with me and, per his request, brought it in and fixed the sound for him. The mid sweeps made all the difference.

Again, the all in one units seem like a great idea, and they are, until you run into a tough room.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:31 PM

I use a USB mixer with a powered PA speaker. This gives me the main outs for the speaker and USB to my laptop so I can record my sessions.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification