The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 AM

Default Gamers will understand this tragedy.

I just lost my entire saved file for Zelda, Breath of the Wild which I was playing on Nintendo Switch. Almost 200 hours worth.
Well, maybe I was playing too much anyway, but it's painful. Gamers will understand.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

hardcore MMORPG gamer here......I understand.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 AM

Zelda and Mario Kart, IMO best video games of all time. Kojo Kondo composed most of the Zelda soundtracks, masterfully done. Sorry about the data loss, that's gotta smart.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 AM

I like video games, but I can't play many for long. I had about 50 hours invested in Assassin's Creed Origins last year and the save got corrupted. That's a lot of hours for me but that game is great. Anyhow, I couldn't even log into the game until I figured out it was the save that was preventing it from starting. So, I had to delete it from the cloud and it works now, but it's all gone.

I got Odyssey in December though. So far so good, but I'm only about 20 hours in so far.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Sorry for your loss, but use of the word "tragedy" seems a stretch to us non-gamers....

Last edited by RP; 01-29-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I just lost my entire saved file for Zelda, Breath of the Wild which I was playing on Nintendo Switch. Almost 200 hours worth.
Well, maybe I was playing too much anyway, but it's painful. Gamers will understand.
You lost me after “I just lost....” 😂
Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 PM

You put in more time than I did, I think I ended up around 130 hours.
Planning to go through again with the DLC at some point, though.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:34 PM

First, I am sorry you lost that saved file. 200 hours. Wow. That's gotta hurt!

I am an ex-gamer. I spent 6+ years playing World of Warcraft. Usually for several hours a day. On weekends and holidays it could be 6-8 hours at a sitting. When I quit it I was amazed at how much free time I had. I started back to playing guitar shortly after quitting back in 2013. Now I wish I had quit sooner.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
hardcore MMORPG gamer here......I understand.
Thanks, Fazool!
I'm pretty sure you're hardcore about everything you do. :-)
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sorry for your loss, but use of the word "tragedy" seems a stretch to us non-gamers....
Thanks, RP. Yes, I understand, and I don't mean to be cavalier about actual tragedy, which my life has not been untouched by either. Be nice if this was the worst loss I will ever have to weather.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
You put in more time than I did, I think I ended up around 130 hours.
Planning to go through again with the DLC at some point, though.
Wow, you beat the game in 130 hours??
Respect! I'm not really good at the boss battles, just don't have the reflexes. So it takes me longer because I have to figure out alternative creative solutions, watch them to see how they move, etc. I'm pretty good at it, but it takes longer. Also I have to explore every nook and cranny. Do all the side quests, find all the koroks, etc.

Maybe you should play again in Master mode?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
First, I am sorry you lost that saved file. 200 hours. Wow. That's gotta hurt!

I am an ex-gamer. I spent 6+ years playing World of Warcraft. Usually for several hours a day. On weekends and holidays it could be 6-8 hours at a sitting. When I quit it I was amazed at how much free time I had. I started back to playing guitar shortly after quitting back in 2013. Now I wish I had quit sooner.
Thanks, Nyghthawk! I have always been afraid to start WoW because I think it would be never ending for me, and completely absorbing. The hours go by like minutes, right? So I understand playing several hours a day!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 AM

Irritation...yes. Tragedy...umm...no.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 AM

I count playing video games as one of my vices, but you lost me at Nintendo. As for you older guys, you do realize that they released Oregon trail for the PC and console too, right? I understand that drawing the card that says "you have died of dysentery" can be especially tragic!

Seriously though, I feel that the writing and scope of role playing games and the realism of the current crop of graphics processors - not to mention that virtually reality goggles are now somewhat affordable - have basically nudged video games up a tier. Now they rival motion pictures or may even exceed them IMO.

Yes, they can be a waste of time - but consider how many movies have eaten up 2+ hours of your life that you can't get back either? I like the idea that I'm able to watch a plot unfold as I'm actively involved in achieving plot points, and having to solve problems in order to do it and not just be sitting passively on the couch shoveling popcorn in my mouth. I'm kind of ruined from watching movies now, in fact. I feel like they're a waste of time spent just sitting.

My personal favorites are the Assassin's Creed series. They came out with a movie a couple of years ago, it didn't do well and I understand that the writing was not up to par with many of the games. I like that they took time to put attention to detail into many historical locations, even if a lot of the cultures were depicted inaccurately - which is something that plagues many motion pictures and television series as well IME.

Speaking of the depiction of locations, I see them having good potential for use in history class. Assassin's Creed Origins actually had a module in the game which was essentially a guided tour of the Great Pyramid as the authors believed it would have appeared toward the end of the time of Ancient Egypt. Your character could walk and climb areas that would be difficult (if not impossible) to traverse and interact with items that would prompt text and video descriptions. I can only imagine how inspiring it would be wearing a set of VR goggles.

The games I do have a problem with are the ones that have excessively gratuitous violence with little to no plot. I have talked to many grown men my age who have a ritual of playing Call of Duty or World of Tanks and have set up leagues and scheduled online get togethers not unlike joining a bowling league or a night of playing cards. I find that aspect of gaming particularly annoying. Despite the benefits not everything has to be experienced in front of a screen.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 AM

My wife and one of my kids would get that.

I understand it to this extent. When my Apple Watch needed a repair or replacement I could not handle losing my stretch of "close the rings" so I was waiting for the Apple Store to open and get a replacement before sending the bad watch in.

My interest in games never lasts more than minutes or hours except for a long ago interest in fight simulators. The sports and fitness quantification has hit me the way some gamers are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic