The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
" Marshallising a Fender Strat" ....... wash your mouth out!
one is an amp and the other a guitar. that won't work. marshallising a fender amp is the real thought. and, jim marshall did it. see the youtube history of him, very well done.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheclassics View Post
BUY A MARSHALL if you want Marshall sound. I had HotRod, now have Blues Jr.
But I also have a JVM205H. No comparison
Cleans on JVM are nice than Fender too, IMHO
Indeed.

Marshalls, even their combo amps, sound much different than the Fender Hot Rods - Marshall is gloriously saturated, while a Hot Rod Deluxe is gritty and punchy. Both are cool sounds, but different.

To be fair to Fender, though, the renowned sound of Fender cleans is associated with amps like the Princeton, Deluxe, or (especially) the Twin, and not with the grittier Hot Rod amps.

I agree with some other posters here about using a plexi pedal vs. speaker replacement for your Hot Rod Deluxe. A good plexi pedal, like the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret or the Ramble FX Marvel Drive, will get you MUCH more of a Marshall sound than a speaker change will.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
one is an amp and the other a guitar. that won't work. marshallising a fender amp is the real thought. and, jim marshall did it. see the youtube history of him, very well done.

play music!
Sorry ... what was I thinking ... Fender amp that is!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 AM

The Marshall sound is really the sound of a '59 Fender tweed Bassman circuit, with EL34 tubes rather than 6L6 tubes and 12" Celestions rather than 10" Jensen P10R's.

But just what is the Marshall sound? Depends on the generation you grew up in probably. For me, it's the sound of Cream, Hendrix, Free...and early Van Halen.

No master volume or gain controls. They hadn't been invented yet.

And not that ugly, super saturated, buzzy, 100% generic, death metal, shredder tone of today either.

But if you do want that tone: Yes! Get a pedal. That way you can have the same, 100% generic, tone of every other hack on the block.

For some of the Marshall tone of yesteryear from your Fender, put a Celestion in your Fender and crank it up. A G12H30 model to be exact. Put one in a Deluxe Reverb. Or better still, that new '68 reissue Silverface Deluxe Reverb Custom with the hot "normal" channel.

And here's the tone that made Clapton world famous:

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 07-22-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Indeed.

Marshalls, even their combo amps, sound much different than the Fender Hot Rods - Marshall is gloriously saturated, while a Hot Rod Deluxe is gritty and punchy. Both are cool sounds, but different.

To be fair to Fender, though, the renowned sound of Fender cleans is associated with amps like the Princeton, Deluxe, or (especially) the Twin, and not with the grittier Hot Rod amps.

I agree with some other posters here about using a plexi pedal vs. speaker replacement for your Hot Rod Deluxe. A good plexi pedal, like the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret or the Ramble FX Marvel Drive, will get you MUCH more of a Marshall sound than a speaker change will.

Read a number of revues about the DLS based on your suggestion. People seem pretty impressed with it so I just ordered one.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Read a number of revues about the DLS based on your suggestion. People seem pretty impressed with it so I just ordered one.
Cool. The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret is a versatile pedal, as well, since it can be set to emulate both the classic Super Lead sound and the darker, less gainy Super Bass sound.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
The Marshall sound is really the sound of a '59 Fender tweed Bassman circuit, with EL34 tubes rather than 6L6 tubes and 12" Celestions rather than 10" Jensen P10R's.

But just what is the Marshall sound? Depends on the generation you grew up in probably. For me, it's the sound of Cream, Hendrix, Free...and early Van Halen.

No master volume or gain controls. They hadn't been invented yet.

And not that ugly, super saturated, buzzy, 100% generic, death metal, shredder tone of today either.

But if you do want that tone: Yes! Get a pedal. That way you can have the same, 100% generic, tone of every other hack on the block.

For some of the Marshall tone of yesteryear from your Fender, put a Celestion in your Fender and crank it up. A G12H30 model to be exact. Put one in a Deluxe Reverb. Or better still, that new '68 reissue Silverface Deluxe Reverb Custom with the hot "normal" channel.

And here's the tone that made Clapton world famous:

OP: I'm going to assume you cannot count on cranking your amp, which invalidates the already-questionable observations above. If you want a more Marshall-like crunch out of the amp you described in your post, at volumes that don't get you arrested or deafen you, the right pedal is the way to go. There are plenty of them.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Yes, we do not have a loud stage volume and I prefer it stay that way.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Going back a lot of years, we put a Fender Twin into a couple of Celestions. Did give more of a rock sound.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
OP: I'm going to assume you cannot count on cranking your amp, which invalidates the already-questionable observations above. If you want a more Marshall-like crunch out of the amp you described in your post, at volumes that don't get you arrested or deafen you, the right pedal is the way to go. There are plenty of them.
Questionable? How so?

The History of Marshall Amps by Michael Doyle pretty much spells out the whole history or Marshall amps if one needs a book to learn of such things.

They really did copy the '59 Fender Bassman circuit for the original Marshalls that Clapton, Hendrix and everyone used back in the 1960's.

Just look at the control panels for a start. They're identical.

They're loud though.

Even the 18 watt Marshall is to loud amp to crank up in an apartment without enraging the neighbors.

Even a 5 watt Fender Champ cranked up might to loud for the neighbors.

So master volume controls and pedal overdrive is kind of a must - artificial and adolescent though the tone might be for those of us who grew up getting the original Marshall tones of yesteryear.

I don't care for the buzzy, super saturated, 100% generic, master volume, high gain, pedal derived tone that makes everyone sound identical and which has become the Marshall tone of today.

Can you tell?

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars