The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Default 2,700 miles in a cargo trailer...

We just finished a 2,700 mile road trip, getting back to our boat. My RainSong Shorty rode in our cargo trailer all that way. In its new Access hard gig bag. Some crappy roads along the way, weather changes from 29º to 85º, sea level to over the mountains and back to sea level, humid to arid... the Shorty arrived not only unscathed, but still in tune!!

The details...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/05/made-it.html

A few days of prep work to do on the boat, then we move back aboard.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Lovin' the Shorty and the Access gig bag!

Last edited by Captain Jim; 05-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Captain Jim,

Thanks for your carbon-guitar adventure!

The only thing I can add is this: Every guitarist, who is serious about guitaring, should get a quality carbon guitar! If the question from some is: Why? I answer: Why Not?

Regards,

SpruceTop (aka RainDance when carbonated)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-17-2014, 07:51 AM

I thought you had a special trailer for a Cargo...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I thought you had a special trailer for a Cargo...

Maybe I should have said: 2,700 miles sharing a trailer with scooters and stuff?

I had the opportunity to play for an hour or so last night - first time in 5 days. That is as long as I've gone without picking up a guitar in a very long time.

I was thinking the Shorty would go in the truck cab with us... I was out-voted on that... the cat needs her space. After the crappy roads in New Mexico and Washington State AND the variety of weather, I was amazed and impressed how the RainSong handled it all.

Jim (I don't have to be Captain Jim for another week or so)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:22 PM

" should get a quality carbon guitar"

I am interested to know which is in your opinion the builder of carbon fiber guitars that does not produce quality guitars ?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Carbon fiber rocks,there's no doubt. Not surprised that yours was in tune when you got back to it! Are you in Washington waters, I'm guessing (since there's not a lot of water in New Mexico)???

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Carbon fiber rocks,there's no doubt. Not surprised that yours was in tune when you got back to it! Are you in Washington waters, I'm guessing (since there's not a lot of water in New Mexico)???
Yes, we'll be working (and playing) in the San Juan Islands this summer. We bought the Shorty when we were out here last summer. Prior to that, my Taylor GSmini had been my travel guitar. No way would I put a wood guitar through all the bumps, weather changes, and altitude variations that the Shorty handled. The Mini rode in the cab of the truck with us the last two years, or in the boat or RV.

New Mexico was a "pass through" (along with Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon) on our way from deep south Texas to Washington State.

The boat comes out of storage tomorrow, some service work to be done over a couple days, then we can move back in. I had to take a pass on a gig this weekend, 'cause we were working on the boat. Knew the timing wouldn't work well in advance.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 PM

My snowbird in-laws just took their 61-foot cruiser out of winter storage in Anacortes for the summer. We usually get up to see them up there in the San Juans once or twice over the season, so if we get up in your area I'll look you up. We can talk carbon fiber. Enjoy your summer!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting the info on the Access bag for the Shorty, I ordered one for my summer trips.....
Old 05-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks for posting the info on the Access bag for the Shorty, I ordered one for my summer trips.....
Hope you enjoy it - I am still very pleased with the construction, protection, and light weight.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Got the Access Stage One bag this morning, I'm very pleased with the construction, padding and firm sides this bag has. I was concerned the padding may not be as good as I wanted, but it is fine. Maybe an inch or 2 too long, but no big deal to take care of that. Otherwise it fits the Shorty perfectly. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Captain!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear it works for you, John. No need to thank me, I was just delighted that it does the job. My Shorty is happy onboard our boat for the summer... I am happy with the light weight and protection.

Did you contact Tim Ellis at Access (customer service) to see if he has any neck supports available for the Stage One? He told me his supply was limited.

Best wishes,
Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber