The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I prefer PC but Mac or PC is equally fine. It does not much matter. There is fine DAW software for both. If you already have a quiet and capable computer you might as well stick with what you have.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
...Your friend may have learned "all he needed to know" in 6 weeks but I willing to bet my bottom dollar he didn't learn "all there was to know".
Hi Joseph...
You'd be right. He learned what he needed to know, and he learned how to find out the rest without going to weekly classes. Didn't mean to intimate there is not more that can be learned, but one doesn't need to know more than what it takes to be functional.

I've been using macs starting with an original Macintosh.

Still committed to the platform, the system, and the ease of use with a lot of hidden power.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]but one doesn't need to know more than what it takes to be functional.
Hey Larry,

You're gonna begin to think I'm being a contrarian but I promise I'm not

The point I was trying to make is that the program is SO much, SO MUCH more than a "Making your Mac Functional" class. As I said before if one was interested in independently learning Final Cut (outside the realm of Apple "One to One" and especially from a Pro in the industry) the cost would be staggering. If you took that scenario one step further and began to ask that Pro to be available and at your disposable 5 or 6 days a week the cost would rise exponentially.

If we switched to something more appropriate to an acoustic guitar recording forum and someone were inquiring, as the OP was, about computers and recording applications you could make the connection that for the price of a Mac (which he/she was debating anyway) one could get a years worth of unlimited Logic Pro or Garage Band or both (or Final Cut or ect, ect) training which would easily pay for the cost of the computer. There's no way you could get a Logic guru to privately tutor for an entire year for $2000.00 so at that point most Mac's are getting close to being paid for.

In the end I don't want the OP to think for $99.00 you get a "Making your Mac Functional" class. Nothing could be further from the truth and when one sits down and really runs the numbers in regard to a new Mac and the unlimited knowledge (at least for a year) that the "One to One Program" provides ostensibly for a Logic Pro user, the Mac gets substantially cheaper than might appear on the surface.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…The point I was trying to make is that the program is SO much, SO MUCH more than a "Making your Mac Functional" class
HI Joseph...
Doesn't matter what I think of your opinion. The original poster evidentially realizes the Mac is a good platform and wants to know if Garage Band is a good program.

I don't want this thread (or any other) to go the way some do in the ''Play'' section of the forum when a novice asks ''What is this chord?'' and the music theory folks settle in and not only tell him 5 ways to think of it and name it, but 45 posts later the theory debates are still going on.

All the guy wanted was the name of the chord…not the explanation and dissection of the possibilities…which I'm sure are very important to the theorists in the crowd.

Mac is a great computer platform, and Garage Band is a wonderful recording program.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Joseph...
Doesn't matter what I think of your opinion. The original poster evidentially realizes the Mac is a good platform and wants to know if Garage Band is a good program.

I don't want this thread (or any other) to go the way some do in the ''Play'' section of the forum when a novice asks ''What is this chord?'' and the music theory folks settle in and not only tell him 5 ways to think of it and name it, but 45 posts later the theory debates are still going on.

All the guy wanted was the name of the chord…not the explanation and dissection of the possibilities…which I'm sure are very important to the theorists in the crowd.

Mac is a great computer platform, and Garage Band is a wonderful recording program.

Ok my friend I'll leave it at this but I must say I've either completely lost my copy writing skills (most likely) or you're missing my point by a 14 gabillion miles

My intent and my posts were utterly and completely written with the novice DAW beginner in mind, hence my suggestion that no beginner mis-interpret or under value Apple's "One to One" program especially as one is considering for purchase and comparing features of PC's vs Mac's as a recording platform.

You suggested to the OP, who apparently is a beginner, that he not invest in that program as your friend didn't think it was of value, but in truth I can't think of anything of more valuable to a beginner DAW user than a year of unlimited instruction in DAW recording, navigation and mixing and in some cases by professionals who actually make their way in that very avocation. I think that is an important component of the PC-vs-Mac discussions that is often over-looked by novice enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I prefer PC but Mac or PC is equally fine. It does not much matter. There is fine DAW software for both. If you already have a quiet and capable computer you might as well stick with what you have.
Ditto the above. I prefer a PC because the platform is not only less expensive but continues to be backwards compatible with just about everything I use.

My current system is Windows XP-based running Adobe Audition 1.5. Not cutting edge but stable and very intuitive.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM

i've been using a mac for creating music for over 10 years now. in my opinion it is much simpler than a pc. i have a friend who uses his pc for music and we are always troubleshooting it. does that mean that you won't have hardware or software problems with a mac? no, but most likely less.
note that there is always a learning curve with all of this music creation on a computer. try to buy correctly the first time so you don't have to spend more money in the future. figure out what you want to do later, not today.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The only downside of macs is the price, if that's an issue. Personally I'd rather build my own PC, run linux, and put the money I save into better mics.
Couldn't agree more As far as recording/mixing goes, Audacity is a free program that should fit most of your needs.

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
AGF Administrator

I use a MacBook with Garageband. Easy to use and powerful enough for what I need. Macs are certainly worth the extra cash to me. Slicker and not as high-maintenance as Windows (though I am intrigued by the upcoming Windows 8 Metro UI).
Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Ah yes, the old Mac vs. PC debate! I spent years on a PC, had no problems with hardware or software functionality. Finally decided to get a MacBook Pro, but had no intention of using it for recording, at first. I had a noisy PC in the closet with the cables extended into my recording space to control the mouse and keyboard. The PC had a nice soundcard for audio with a daughter card that had lots of connectibility: It was nice! I had no driver issues or incompatability issues at all.

Eventually, I just wanted to simplify things, reduce clutter, free up space, so I looked to the MacBook Pro I had sitting there. I would need a new interface between my recording gear and the MacBook, so I chose the M-Audio Profire 610. It had firewire capability and SPDIF that I needed, great! Finally got the right cables, hooked everything up, no problems except for one thing, the very same thing that gave me problems with my PC setup, which were the software programs that came with my computer interfaces. The controler software for both interfaces added an extra layer of confusion into the mix. As a novice to recording, I was overwhelmed, and spent many hours trying to make heads or tails of the relationship between my DAW software and the interface controller software.

So, my problems never had anything to do with which platform I was using, just the extra layer of software for the computer interface was all it took to make my life miserable.

Ok, so here I am now, with a MacBook Pro hooked up: It's beautiful and works like a charm. I suppose it would make no difference to me if it were a PC or a Mac for recording purposes alone, but I love Mac now and will never go back to PC for all the reasons aforementioned in this thread. Of course, now that I use Logic Pro, at least for what I do, it is an awesome bundle of software!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Sachi writes:
Quote:
Yes, you can build an inexpensive Linux system...
No, seriously I can't! That is why I have been a Mac user since 1987.

2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=Joseph Hanna;2947375]Hey Larry,

The Apple One to One program is $99.00 for an entire year of help...unlimited. The only requirement is you can't schedule a new lesson until the current lesson is over. One could conceivably take as many as 340 (or more) hour long sessions with some of the absolute best Apple trained folks in the world. I though I was good at Mac's but some of those guys (and gals) were powerhouse users. In the end that's roughly 0.29¢ for each hour lesson if one would be so inclined.

Thanks for info Joseph! I may look into that!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Mac........
Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby b View Post
Mac........

Bobby,

What does this mean?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Rick Shepherd;2948461]
Quote:
Hey Larry,

The Apple One to One program is $99.00 for an entire year of help...unlimited. The only requirement is you can't schedule a new lesson until the current lesson is over. One could conceivably take as many as 340 (or more) hour long sessions with some of the absolute best Apple trained folks in the world. I though I was good at Mac's but some of those guys (and gals) were powerhouse users. In the end that's roughly 0.29¢ for each hour lesson if one would be so inclined.

Thanks for info Joseph! I may look into that!
Hey Rick,

The "One to One" program is only offered at the point of sale of a Mac and or an iPad. That's why I thought is was appropriate for a beginner DAW guy who was looking to decide upon a computer platform (and even deciding upon a DAW solution) that he/she consider that enormous added value when comparing PC-vs-Mac.

Like I said a beginner could ostensibly pay for his/her Mac purchase with the cost of training alone. Someone this weekend mentioned the Sam Ash out in Woodland Hills is offering Pro Tools lessons for $40.00 a half hour. At $80.00 an hour an entire years worth of that adds up. If you only took one hour a week training from Sam Ash, a years lessons would be be roughly $2700.00. Conversely for a student just getting started in Logic the "One to One" program is a $99.00 buy in for a year of unlimited hours and scheduled at your leisure. That not to mention the training is not limited to Logic. You could take a Logic lesson on Monday morning and a Final Cut Pro lesson that same afternoon and follow it up with a Garage Band lesson that Monday evening. You are free to schedule things that way 7 days a week for an entire year and believe me some do! I often wound up seeing the same cast of characters evening after evening and most of them not only a blast to work with but a sponge when it came time for learning. I should also mention one of the guys I saw almost daily wound up with an intern job up in Hollywood. An intern position in this town is absolutely the proverbial foot-in-the-door break many never see.

I can't stress enough the value of this program when considering a new computer.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 02-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD