The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Default 'Noiseless' Strat pickups?

I've got a Squier '51, which is a ridiculously fun instrument, especially considering what I paid for it.

However, I absolutely *loathe* single coil hum - I'd like to replace the neck pickup with something that sounds as close as possible to a Strat neck pickup, but without that pesky buzz.

Any suggestions? A Fender Noiseless is the 'obvious' choice, but I'm interested to hear actual experience.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Seymour Duncan has some stacked single coils which stop the hum. I'm not sure if the classic stack is noiseless.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM

If you can swing it go with the Fender Custom Shop noiseless. GREAT pickup with very classic Fender sound....Better yet, get the entire set!!! I couldn't live without a GREAT Position 3 or 4!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
If you can swing it go with the Fender Custom Shop noiseless. GREAT pickup with very classic Fender sound....Better yet, get the entire set!!! I couldn't live without a GREAT Position 3 or 4!!!
That's a great choice; however, the pickups would cost more than the Squire guitar.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 PM

I have Vintage noiseless in my Jeff Beck Strat. Nothing but good to say about them.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Good points, all. A full set won't do me much good in a Squier '51 - one single coil, and a humbucker is the standard complement.

I really like the standard, rather bratty splittable humbucker - and it looks like I can grab a Noiseless for about $50 or so off eBay. Absolutely worth it for this guitar...
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Good points, all. A full set won't do me much good in a Squier '51 - one single coil, and a humbucker is the standard complement.

I really like the standard, rather bratty splittable humbucker - and it looks like I can grab a Noiseless for about $50 or so off eBay. Absolutely worth it for this guitar...
I totally forgot these guitars have one single and the Humbucker. Yea, do the noiseless single coil, and don't "diss" you Squier....They can be **** good guitars!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM

One thing to look out for - I switched the pickups in my 62RI strat, but the pickup routes were not deep enough for the Fender Hot Vintage noiseless pups. I had to get them re-routed a little deeper to accommodate the pickups...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM

I almost bought one of those when they were under three figures...
You're right--almost any replacement stacked or noiseless neck pu will probably cost half as much as the guitar.
I'm a fan of DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pu's and the Seymour Duncan stacks...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I think I'd sooner go with http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...02530000272000 than put new pickups on your Squier....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I think I'd sooner go with http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...02530000272000 than put new pickups on your Squier....
With respect, I think you're missing the point. I bought this Squier for about 1/6th of the cost of that Tele. The *only* thing I don't like about it is the fizz-buzz-hum of the neck pickup. To solve that, I got a Fender Noiseless neck pickup off eBay tonight for $40.

When I'm ready to buy a Tele, that's one I might consider.
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM

I used to use Kinman pickups when I had a Strat. At the time they were widely considered the best noiseless single coil pickups available. I don't know if that is still true. This was before Fender came out with their own noiseless pickups.

I was very happy with the Kinmans.

However, they cost about as much as my guitar did!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
With respect, I think you're missing the point. I bought this Squier for about 1/6th of the cost of that Tele. The *only* thing I don't like about it is the fizz-buzz-hum of the neck pickup. To solve that, I got a Fender Noiseless neck pickup off eBay tonight for $40.

When I'm ready to buy a Tele, that's one I might consider.
Good score!!! Should be a pretty sweet guitar with that mod.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonb View Post
I used to use Kinman pickups when I had a Strat. At the time they were widely considered the best noiseless single coil pickups available. I don't know if that is still true. This was before Fender came out with their own noiseless pickups.

I was very happy with the Kinmans.

However, they cost about as much as my guitar did!
+1 for Kinmans!
I've had their Woodstocks Plus set, but for classical Strat sound I would recommend Blues or Traditional Mark III sets.
Changed Woodstocks because I felt in love with Lollar Blackface pups, though they are not noiseless.
Blueridge BG-140

Currently have:
Furch G-20CM cut with L.R. Baggs Element
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
That would be great if he had a "regular" Fender Strat! But he has a Squier '51:

I have a Fender Vintage Noiseless neck pickup on my Telecaster, and I like it just fine. There are other "noiseless" pickup brands that are cheaper or more expensive...it all depends on how much you want to spend.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars