The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvtattoo View Post
Glad to see a recording forum here @ Acoustic guitar!! Anyone using Garageband or Logic as their DAW? I'm currently running an Imac with both Logic and Garageband and using a Presonus Firebox as my interface . Simple set up but works for me. What is your set up?
You said the magic words, "..........but works for me." I'm pretty set in my ways and still use a rather large format 32 input Tascam 2600. It's no Trident TSM but between it, my various analog and digital machines, mics, signal processors; etc., it works for me. The only thing I use a computer for is back-up, editing, and final playback for remixing through the console. (The program of choice is Adobe Audition 1.5)
Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Up to a year ago I was running Cubase on a PC but I'm surrounded by pro composers and studio guys, all of whom persuaded me to move to Logic on a Mac.

I now have Logic 8 on an iMac with a Motu 8pre interface and an iBook ext hard drive . My only problem is the iMac doesn't seem to like running two firewire devices simultaneously and rejects one of them when under load.

I've got Adam A7 monitors.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 PM

running Pro tools with my imac digi002 interface, personus eureka pre with a NT2000 for vocals, a pair of nt5's to record my acoustic and a Sennheiser e609 for micing my electric amp.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM

I switch between Mixcraft and Pro Tools, using a Fast Track Ultra, an SM57 and various stompboxes to handle both acoustic and electric projects.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

At work I use Nuendo on a Mac dual quad-core with three Steinberg interfaces and a Sony DM-2000 as the work surface/monitoring controller.

At home, when I have my guitarist hat on, I don't want to think too much about recording. I've got a Tascam 2488 MKII that I record to. I export the tracks and take them to work for mixes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Mics: CAD VX2, 2 x DPA 4060 mounted on body, 2 x CAD M179
Pickups: various (K&K PWM, Baggs M1a, Rare Earth, I-beam active)
Preamps: 4 channel DAV BG, 2 channel SPL Goldmike (mk i), Littlelabs Redeye
Interface: RME Fireface 400
Computer: Dell XPS M1710
Software: Reaper (with various plugins) (and occasionally Ensoniq PARIS with a desktop PC)
Monitoring: PMC TB2 speakers powered by Flying Mole digital monoblocks, Shure EC4c earbuds, DT150 headphoens.

Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (plus another due 2020)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Mics.
Brauner Phantom V - vocals and some GTR
Shure KSM 44 - GTR
Shure SM 57

Front End.
A-Designs MP2A 2 channel mic pre
Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA converter and clocking

DAW.
Pro Tools LE 8 thru Digi 002 on 24" intel I-Mac

Monitors
KRK V8s powered

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
2x Schoeps CMC6/MK41
Aren't the Schoeps just gorgeous. I go between those and my DPAs.

Though - I don't have the MK41 capsules. I have a pair of MK4 & MK2S. Lately I've been eyeing the MK21 caps.

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Aren't the Schoeps just gorgeous. I go between those and my DPAs.

Though - I don't have the MK41 capsules. I have a pair of MK4 & MK2S. Lately I've been eyeing the MK21 caps.
Yes, the Schoeps are quite stunning. I had a pair of CMC6/MK4 for several years, sold them and got the pair of CMC6/MK41. The MK41 certainly are different - a bit more pinched in the stereo image but more accurate/tame in the low mids and highs.

I've been looking for a pair of DPA 4011 for years. I can't seem to find an excellent used pair for a decent price. When I do, I'll grab them.

I'm using the Gefell M295's more often than the Schoeps. There's something about them that just works for my playing, guitars, pres, room, etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, the Schoeps are quite stunning. I had a pair of CMC6/MK4 for several years, sold them and got the pair of CMC6/MK41. The MK41 certainly are different - a bit more pinched in the stereo image but more accurate/tame in the low mids and highs.

I've been looking for a pair of DPA 4011 for years. I can't seem to find an excellent used pair for a decent price. When I do, I'll grab them.

I'm using the Gefell M295's more often than the Schoeps. There's something about them that just works for my playing, guitars, pres, room, etc.
Hello sdelsolray,

I was just wondering if you had any recordings I can listen to. If not, which song should I listen to that closely resembles the quality of these equipment? I bet they sound great but I wouldn't know because I've never had anyone point out that a certain song that was recorded with a certain gear.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Hello sdelsolray,

I was just wondering if you had any recordings I can listen to. If not, which song should I listen to that closely resembles the quality of these equipment? I bet they sound great but I wouldn't know because I've never had anyone point out that a certain song that was recorded with a certain gear.

Thanks in advance.
Sage, I would like to here some of Steve's recent recordings also. However as far as the microphones, I have the Gefell M295s also and this is a recording I did with those mikes followed by a NPNG preamp and a Mytek Stereo96 ADC. It is a given that every song, player, guitar and recording room will sound different even with the same gear.
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/MistsOfTime.mp3
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM

I usually record through a Yamaha MG166cx mixer to a Boss BR-600. I move the tracks to Reaper for editing.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sage, I would like to here some of Steve's recent recordings also. However as far as the microphones, I have the Gefell M295s also and this is a recording I did with those mikes followed by a NPNG preamp and a Mytek Stereo96 ADC. It is a given that every song, player, guitar and recording room will sound different even with the same gear.
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/MistsOfTime.mp3
That sounds awesome. Very impressive playing and recording quality. Thanks Rick.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Up until a few weeks ago I was using an old Sony cassette deck. I did pick up a H2 which I can easily use . (The DP02CF I have had for quite awhile looks good sitting in the music room however)

It's all good!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Hello sdelsolray,

I was just wondering if you had any recordings I can listen to.
+1 on the request to hear sdel's recordings. You can hear some tracks I recorded with Schoeps CMC6/Mk41s on Anton Emery's site: http://www.celticfingerstyleguitar.com/ right side, in the player.

As Rick says, tho, different room, guitar, player, or even move an inch and you change the sound, so it's hard to ascribe a specific sound to mics.
You Tube Channel
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD