The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM

Default "Best" pickup for a CA OX

Hi all - I haven't been on the forum in some time but have a question that requires the group's collected knowledge.
I'm about to install a pickup in a CA OX that at present is a purely acoustic version.
JJB (or K&K) would generally be my go-to pickup for a wood guitar but I'm hesitant on the OX owing to some really unsatisfactory results I've gotten with SBT pickups on two different Cargos.
Do you think the OX will react more favorably to the JJB?
My other option might possibly be a Mi-Si undersaddle which is basically an active Baggs Element. Better suited to a CF instrument?
In either case, I have both a K&K Pre/DI or a Baggs PADI to help shape sound.
Thanks very much for any input.
I talked to Ted at LA Guitar Sales who gave me an address for Michael at Peavey (haven't heard from Michael yet) but then I remembered AGF.
What do y'all think?

Doug
Old 08-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Yes, they suck with Cargos for sure. I installed a K&K in my Cargo and had to go out and buy a 10 band equalizer to make it even passable. Never again! If I had to do it over I'd stick with an undersaddle and get a Bodyrez type device to make it sound more natural. I don't own an OX but if it's a basically warm sounding CF guitar like the Cargo I'd stay away from JJB or K&K.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 PM

A follow up to let y'all know what I decided.
Since I had a JJB in the house already, I took a chance and installed it in the OX (despite my previous problems with same in Cargos).
I can't speak to any other signal paths but I'm running the OX into a new Zoom AC-2 pedal and then into a Fishman Loudbox Mini and it sounds pretty darned good - I'm pleased.
Sound inside the house is never a perfect indicator but I have outdoor gigs this weekend and will be able to crank things up and get EQ dialed in. I think I lucked out and will be quite happy with this rig.

Doug
Old 09-02-2017, 05:58 AM

I don't recall if the OX is braced like the Legacy or flat braced like a Cargo. If it looks like traditional bracing inside, then I think the JJB will work fine. I have Mi-Si Trios in both my RainSongs and am happy with the sound. Possibly a ToneDexter is in my future. I previously put a K&K Mini in a CO-DR1100N2 with good results too, but it was a feedback problem if the house sound had floor monitors.

I am hesitant to put CA glued pickups in guitars that don't have a nice flat hardwood bridge plate. The typical removal process using a razor blade is not going to be pretty on CF if it is not smooth and someday that pickup will break or be obsolete. I seem to recall CA's construction process leaves the top very smooth on the inside, but I'm not sure, and regardless the surface is epoxy which might snag a razor blade.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber