The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I don't know what you have for a preamp, but it's worth determining if it's really the source of your noise before spending on a fix that doesn't fix things. The trick is to wire a low noise metal film 150 ohm resistor across the hot legs of an XLR plug and use that as your source, then crank your pre to the level you normally use. I was surprised to find that all the noise I thought my preamp was generating was actually in the room with me, and any preamp no matter what cost or spec would result in the same noise level at the same gain level.

Fran
I tried your recommendation, and found that maybe my mixer's preamps are less noisy than I thought. That would help explain how I managed to get a much better recording two years ago (in a house with double-paned windows) than I can now with more or less the same equipment. I think there's no point in spending more on gear until we're ready to buy a house; then I might be able to make a difference.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 AM

At the end of the day those are great recordings, really - no problems. I was thinking back to the days when I had a Portastudio... what a waste of time that was. Just listen to what you have now. It's incredible, isn't it? Sometimes I do wish I was 17 again, with today's audio tools, instead of... middle aged... but there you go. I tragically remember sitting in a bedsit, vainly bashing a jewellery case to see if I could get a sound like a drum on my old reel-to-reel... aaarggh!!

Pete
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Good point Pete. I remember having a Portastudio years ago. How far the technology has come..

I am going to strive for the best recording I can with the options that I have, but make sure in the end that I actually complete an actual recording project, rather than fiddling with mic placement and different things all the time.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Hi Folks,

Been doing alot of experimenting since my last post here and I keep coming back to the spaced pair configuration with the ADK A6's, straight into my presonus mobile and iMac. These are about 19 inches away from the guitar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai1580x5if...spacedpair.wav

I wish i was able to mic closer. If anyone has mic suggestions that allow you to get closer I would love to hear them. I dont know how Doug and other folks mic from mere inches away.

I'd be interested to hear folks feedback on the sound. I am happy from a tonal standpoint, though there is still some room noise. Its definitely my computer and outside noise. Hopefully we will be in a new house when I actually get down to recording a cd and I can better setup my room minimize against outside noise and be farther from the computer. I've also thought about getting a used Mac mini for cheap rather than using my iMac. It will either be quieter or easier to put outside the room. I can just install Logic Pro on it and use it solely for a recording computer.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I'd be interested to hear folks feedback on the sound. I am happy from a tonal standpoint, though there is still some room noise. Its definitely my computer and outside noise. Hopefully we will be in a new house when I actually get down to recording a cd and I can better setup my room minimize against outside noise and be farther from the computer.
Sounds good.

The noise level is low enough to not be a problem - in any song release just trim the start of the recording right to the first note
on the guitar.

You can mike closer if you watch out for air pumping from the soundhole of the guitar. If you are getting too much low frequency
proximity effect from closer mikes you can cut that back effectively with a high pass filter starting around 80 hz (plus or minus).
Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM

That sounds pretty good. The noise is only intrusive when I turn up the volume higher than normal, and even then only really in the quiet lead-in before you start playing.

I ended up making my own computer case out of MDF to cut down on noise. The hard drives are suspended in mid-air in a little rack because it was the only way I could stop the vibrations being transmitted into the rest of the case and resonating with a low frequency hum. A case fan also dangles from bits of string in front of the HDDs for the same reason. All that's left is a low-level white noise from the fans and a chunk of high-density mineral wool closing off the front of the case helps to cut out most of that.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

That sounds quite nice, Anton. I'd probably brighten it up just a tad, and there's some sub-bass content (probably the noise that shows up at the beginning). I think the noise is still one of the bigger issues for a real CD. The sound while you're playing is very nice, but listen to the tail. Sounds like it may be traffic noise, I can almost hear a car taking off :-) But that could be dealt with, I've used a dynamic EQ in the past that cuts progressively more low end off as the tail fades out, and that seems to mostly take care of it in this case. So it could be dealt with in mastering. One benefit of micing closer, if you could get it to work, would be better signal to noise ratio - your guitar would get louder for the same external noise level, effectively lowering the noise. But, like Rick and moon, I don't hear the noise during the piece - and a low cut filter would make it even less - and the head and tail can be handled, so it's not a show-stopper at this point, and the sound, stereo balance, etc, are all very nice.
You Tube Channel
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks again for the advice folks.

As far as close micing I am not sure how I can avoid the soundhole anymore. I've got one mic off the 12th fret, the other off the lower bout, well away from the hole. I suppose I could try moving it even more towards the back end of the guitar, and get closer.

Yea Doug, that sound at the end of the track is a going by. I should have just done another take.... I agree noise is still an issue for a real cd, I think in this house its just not possible to get quiet enough without some serious modification. Thankfully Katie and I are shopping around for a house to buy, and once we get in one I can properly and more permanently set up a recording space.

I am happy know at least I found a mic placement that seems to work.

Anton

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD