The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2020, 10:41 AM

Default Cajon Discovery

I've been wanting to loop some percussion and I've been trying different things. A while back I installed a JJB pickup in a cajon drum and plugged it into my looper. The sound is kind of "thuddy", not inspiring.

Last night I took a frog guiro and put it against the sound board of the cajon and played it, the looper picked it up. I then went into my garage looking for other things I could put up against the sound board of the cajon. I found a 4 inch diameter by 12 inch long piece of PVC pipe.

I put an open end of the pipe up against the sound board and used the handle end of a screwdriver as the drum stick to play on the inside of the other open end. It created a bongo/congas type of sound that I looped. I added some reverb and chorus effects and I like the results.

Different materials for a drumstick made different pitch but still had the bongo/congas feel.

I can see a lot more experimentation taking place.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 11-25-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:36 PM

I run a slap top cajon with a pickup through my looper (dual input) alongside my guitar. Each outputs independently to the mixer. Good kick/snare combo for me. A good percussionist can get all sorts of sounds out of it.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:43 PM

"Alternative" percussion can sometimes sound great. I was watching Buddy and Julie Miller perform and was a bit shocked by the great drum sound she got whacking a 5 gallon plastic pail with one of those multi-rod drum sticks made from what looks like bundled bamboo skewers.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a "Using a Tonedexter with my porch board" topic yet...
Old 11-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Great ideas guys!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

I'm surprised I haven't seen a "Using a Tonedexter with my porch board" topic yet...
Dont start ...ha lol.
I once got a pretty good sound with a cardboard box and steel brushes..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification