The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 09:04 AM

Newtone strings Master Class round core phosphor bronze set 12-56
comparison of normal and double wound strings

Old 11-29-2021, 04:24 AM

I am testing the phosphor bronze in my OM-18 and the truth is that I like the tone they have, although I also like the John Pearse and they are easier to get.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 12-07-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Used to like the round core Newtones, but now I have a slot-head Martin and they are a pain to change efficiently because cutting them before tuning just doesn't work unless you are lucky.

Can you explain this about the slothead?
Old 12-27-2022, 10:48 PM

Old thread revival but here I am... on a string journey. There are so many factors with strings... including how some lose their tone rather quickly.. as in within a few weeks yet can sound astounding within the first week.

I record a lot so I notice this decay of tone a lot, especially when trying to add to material recorded earlier and trying to match the tone... it can be a moving target.. even with PB sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Used to like the round core Newtones, but now I have a slot-head Martin and they are a pain to change efficiently because cutting them before tuning just doesn't work unless you are lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Can you explain this about the slothead?
Yah was a bit confused reading this too. So basically I think Hoyt might have been saying it backward but that doesn't make much sense either - in that, you want to tune to pitch THEN cut the string...not before.

I tend to leave my strings wound together and uncut until I get some tuning stability -- stretching the strings, etc... especially if I'm going to bend. But I found from my days changing strings and tuning electrics, that this just works better and produces fewer 'duds' and I've continued doing this with acoustics too. Looks ugly.. and you gotta be careful not scratch the headstock but...yah.. there are so many things to be cautious of when re-stringing.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:35 PM

Just ordered 2 sets of the double wound 12 string sets looking forward to trying them I always prefer a warm sound to a bright sound on acoustics
Old 01-13-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Just ordered 2 sets of the double wound 12 string sets looking forward to trying them I always prefer a warm sound to a bright sound on acoustics
I use the double wound strings on one of my 6 string guitars and they are fantastic. It's like they add an extra dimension to the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion