The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Christy Moore - Is he playing FADGBE tuning here?

I find this performance captivating. Obviously the man is a machine, such a huge sound with just a guitar and his voice. I noticed his chord shapes look odd. When he plays the IV chord (F), it hits really hard. Sounds like a big punchy power chord with lots of low end. It really adds to the performance. I think I see him fretting the 2nd fret with his thumb on the C and G chords, and going open on the lowest string on the F chord. That would be FADGBE tuning. Am I seeing it right? Anybody ever try playing like that?

Thanks for your time, hope you enjoy this video as much I as do.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 AM

He makes no mention of tuning or use of capo on his website just the chords, although I've never heard of a dropped F tuning. Now here's a sheet music preview, from which you should be able to figure the entire song out.

https://www.christymoore.com/lyrics/...e-of-new-york/

https://www.guitarinstructor.com/pro...ork/1000061276
Old 09-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

… … … … … … … …

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-28-2020 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:44 PM

Yes to F on the bottom string.
I watched him, and listened of course, from the front row some years ago and noticed the same thing.
Great performer!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
He makes no mention of tuning or use of capo on his website just the chords, although I've never heard of a dropped F tuning. Now here's a sheet music preview, from which you should be able to figure the entire song out.

https://www.christymoore.com/lyrics/...e-of-new-york/

https://www.guitarinstructor.com/pro...ork/1000061276
I've haven't heard of it either, but nonetheless it would be raised F, assuming his standard tuning started at E.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-28-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Good to hear someone confirm he's playing "raised F". It took a me a few minutes watching that video and scratching my head! I've never heard of that tuning before, even searching Google for FADGBE doesn't give too much. It looks like he found a way to play a full F chord without futzing with the barre chord shape. Either way, Christy Moore really makes it work! I love learning something new like that.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:44 PM

I poked around on his website, Christy answers almost every query on his guestbook page. 500 pages and counting! Here are some replies I lifted on the subject:

Quote:
I got my first guitar lesson in 1961…in the following months I somehow managed to mis-tune my 6th string UP to f …by the time my second lesson came about the damage was done…in the following 51 years I have never managed to undo that tuning fiaso…in the main, it has been a hindrance to my progressing as a player….in another way it has allowed me to focus much more on my singing and upon the songs.
Quote:
do NOT consider my tuning..it has made my life very difficult

I am self taught on guitar…from the start (1961) I mistakenly tuned the 6th string up to F and I have never managed to correct the mistake… it means that my chords are limited

If I got the chance to live this life again I would only make ONE change..my guitar tuning
Fair enough! I'll avoid the technique myself, but I still appreciate it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write