The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Default Good insurance for guitars?

Hi all

I have a State Farm personal articles policy that covers my guitars (1 Taylor, 1 Breedlove, 1 Lowden) and camera and lenses and a computer. I've had this for years now, almost 10, and until this year I didn't file any claims. I filed 2 this year - 1 on a guitar and 1 on my computer - and State Farm started sending me letters that my coverage could change if there was an increase in claim activity. I called them and their rep told me that they could cancel the policy at any time and that they had no obligation to keep it.

I am worried that if a guitar or camera were to get stolen, State Farm might not cover it.

Can anyone recommend more reliable insurance for these items? I take my camera and guitars out and need a policy that won't dick me over if something happens.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:15 PM

IMO most people are going to recommend Heritage or Clarion.....for the guitars.

I have used Heritage for the last 10+ years and they are the best, and super easy to work with. I understand they pay claims quickly, I have not had a claim....knock on wood, and also pay you for depreciation from any trauma suffered by an instrument. ie. broken headstock etc.

I'm positive others will chime in shortly.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post
IMO most people are going to recommend Heritage or Clarion.........
That’s the two. I switched from Clarion earlier this year when they had a big price jump. Contact both and get a quote.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post
IMO most people are going to recommend Heritage or Clarion.....for the guitars.

I have used Heritage for the last 10+ years and they are the best, and super easy to work with. I understand they pay claims quickly, I have not had a claim....knock on wood, and also pay you for depreciation from any trauma suffered by an instrument. ie. broken headstock etc.

I'm positive others will chime in shortly.
Ditto for me. I do not trust State Farm (or many of the traditional carriers).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM

Heritage and Clarion are both good, from what I hear, for the musician who earns a living with his/her instruments. They might be overkill for someone who plays casually.

It sounds like the OP had coverage on three nice guitars under their homeowner's insurance. Why not just switch insurance companies? Heaven knows there are plenty out there. I too have had a bad experience with State Farm.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 PM

By all means, get new coverage if you don't like the way State Farm is treating you.

That said, the most they can do if you have more claims is cancel the policy. They can't retroactively eliminate coverage after a claim unless you commit fraud or bought the policy via a misrepresentation.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Any insurance company is going to cancel you if you make repeated claims. Insurance companies are businesses and their business is to take money, not give it away. The same thing will happen if you make multiple claims on your auto insurance policy. In their eyes you have become “high risk”. I would recommend that you read your policy very carefully to find out what is covered and when. I don’t think State Farm covers you if you are performing so keep that in mind. Might not be a bad tine to switch though. If you have had 2 claims close together you are probably going to be getting a rate increase on your next renewal.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Ditto. Bad experiences with State Farm.
Steve
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks folks, I will call them

This isn't a homeowner's policy, it is a personal articles policy just for these items. 100% coverage no matter what.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Hi all

I have a State Farm personal articles policy that covers my guitars (1 Taylor, 1 Breedlove, 1 Lowden) and camera and lenses and a computer. I've had this for years now, almost 10, and until this year I didn't file any claims. I filed 2 this year - 1 on a guitar and 1 on my computer - and State Farm started sending me letters that my coverage could change if there was an increase in claim activity. I called them and their rep told me that they could cancel the policy at any time and that they had no obligation to keep it.

I am worried that if a guitar or camera were to get stolen, State Farm might not cover it.

Can anyone recommend more reliable insurance for these items? I take my camera and guitars out and need a policy that won't dick me over if something happens.

Thanks.
I didn't read any of the replies, so please forgive me if I duplicate anyone else's reply...

I have been a State Farm Customer for over 50 years. I had my car insurance with them, uninterrupted since I was 16. That was until last week. I have my musical instruments covered by them... which will change in December. Homeowners... I'm now shopping.

IMO State Farm is no longer the same company it once was. 20 years or so ago my home was storm damaged and State Farm paid out a large claim and my rates only went up a small percentage. But more recently they outright cancelled my daughter's homeowners policy because of two small claims on her condo, rather than just raise the rates. Two years ago I had a small comprehensive car claim that was denied with them claiming a manufacturer's defect (which it wasn't and the cause of the damage was nature related). They were charging me almost $1400/year on my 12 year old car for considerably less coverage than I now get through AARP/The Hartford that reduced my annual car insurance costs by $750 (more than 50%!).

IMO the best coverage you can get for your musical instruments is through Heritage Insurance, which many on this forum use. Unlike State Farm that needs appraisals for items over $600, Heritage only needs appraisals for much more expensive instruments. Their coverage is all-risk and includes professional use, which State Farm does not.

Cameras are a different situation and while Heritage may want to insure them for you, they will most likely be at a different rate. When I had my photography studio I insured my entire studio through The Hartford, including umbrella liability insurance and a camera equipment (including 4 Hasselblad systems) for a very reasonable amount. I had one claim which they paid quickly without any grief or jumping through hoops. Hopefully they have the same standards today.

I'm sorry that this seems like a semi-rant against State Farm, but I have to say I'm disappointed in what I perceive them to have become lately and that I have to leave an insurance company that I've relied on for so many years because I've simply lost faith in them and found better protection elsewhere.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks a lot all for the helpful replies
Old 10-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Thank you Vin for your info, its a help to all of us here.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:21 PM

There must be more than one Heritage insurance. I googled and called the first result for Heritage Insurance that came up https://www.heritagepci.com/ and they don't do instrument-only insurance, just home owner's insurance.

Is there another that you all had in mind?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:23 PM

C'mon man, it's instrument insurance.

https://musicins.com
Old 10-18-2019, 03:39 PM

My guitars and my son's trumpet (with him at college) are insured by Anderson Group. I've found them to be easy to work with, and quite a bit less expensive than either Heritage or Clarion. At the time I started with them, they also offered a discount when I committed to a 3-year policy (paid for 2 years).

I haven't had a claim yet, so I can't comment on that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion