The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Hmmm...Has anyone noticed that that post was #301?
I noticed but was to shy to say anything....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-03-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I think it is great that you are working on over-coming your shyness, Kramster!

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-03-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Guest 928

Good point Jim. The small group interaction of this forum has really brought Mr. K out of his shell.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Good point Jim. The small group interaction of this forum has really brought Mr. K out of his shell.
One of the other benefits of carbon fiber.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

The snotty weather kept us inside today. Plenty of time in my guitar room today, including several more recordings. Here's a cover of the Dave Loggins (also covered by Kenny Chesney) song, Please Come To Boston...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/p...come-to-boston

I am picking up some tidbits from recording, mostly about timing. Still having fun with it, but it has changed the way I practice (for now).

It also kept me out from under-foot while the Blonde was working on a quilting project.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The snotty weather kept us inside today. Plenty of time in my guitar room today, including several more recordings. Here's a cover of the Dave Loggins (also covered by Kenny Chesney) song, Please Come To Boston...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/p...come-to-boston

I am picking up some tidbits from recording, mostly about timing. Still having fun with it, but it has changed the way I practice (for now).

It also kept me out from under-foot while the Blonde was working on a quilting project.
I like your recording.
What did you use for a backing track ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I like your recording.
What did you use for a backing track ?
Thanks, 121. Backing track? I record the first track with guitar and vocals into a Zoom H4n Pro. Then add separate tracks with bass and drums. Sometimes another guitar track with Nashville tuning. I'm using a Yamaha DD-65 (digital drum set), and bass guitar. Mix it all with Audacity to make an MP3 for faster upload.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, 121. Backing track? I record the first track with guitar and vocals into a Zoom H4n Pro. Then add separate tracks with bass and drums. Sometimes another guitar track with Nashville tuning. I'm using a Yamaha DD-65 (digital drum set), and bass guitar. Mix it all with Audacity to make an MP3 for faster upload.
Your very talented and versatile, must be a lot of fun too.

Did you use the X7 and X20 ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Your very talented and versatile, must be a lot of fun too.

Did you use the X7 and X20 ?
Thanks again, 121. Mostly the X20, but I have used the X7 on a couple of the songs. I am recording with a direct out line from the Bose PA I use, rather than using the X/Y mics on the Zoom recorder. On some of tracks, I have used a GSmini (as a second guitar) with Nashville tuning.

Yes, it is fun, but in a different manner than just playing guitar (my "first love").

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-03-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

In the words of the philospher, Annie: "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow!" Welcome to "tomorrow"... for the first time in 4 or 5 days, the Tropical Tip is sunny once again. Still struggling to get the temperature back where it should be, but I am surprised at the difference in attitude. A tough day in our household yesterday, with a couple hours at the vet, where we found some kind of upper resperatory and sinus bug had our sweet kitty ill. Antibiotics and nose drops, and she seems to be on the mend.

To bring this semi back to on topic, I played guitar this morning, and she hopped up beside me. She is my second biggest fan. We knew she wasn't feeling good when she didn't come running when I pulled down a guitar the past few days.

Music and the "savage" beast.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Well...I did not want to be accused of give you a swelled head Captain J, but I also enjoyed the recordings that you posted...

Reguarding the frigid temps you are experiencing, I have it on the highest authority that a certain "blonde" chick, will be keeping you warm Amigo...(hopefully with hot chocalate & snuggles instead of molten lava)

Oh...Happy Sailing & New Year Too!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Well...I did not want to be accused of give you a swelled head Captain J, but I also enjoyed the recordings that you posted...

Reguarding the frigid temps you are experiencing, I have it on the highest authority that a certain "blonde" chick, will be keeping you warm Amigo...(hopefully with hot chocalate & snuggles instead of molten lava)

Oh...Happy Sailing & New Year Too!!!
Mighty nice of you, considering you are a pirate and all.

I made coffee this morning... and I don't drink coffee. Then, made a hot chocolate for me to get the day started. Not to be indiscreet, but I'm OK with snuggling, even when it is warm out.

It may mess with my tough guy boat captain persona, but I turned the electric blanket on last night. Checking the humidity in each of the room (yes, we have heat, too - don't need it very often), the lowest I saw was 48% in the living room... with the electric fireplace going. My wood guitars said, "Thank you for keeping the house consistent."

The carbon fiber guitars said, "Cool - wanna go outside and play?" They are tougher than I am.

My sweet kitty is getting better today. It's all good!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Q

I use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal. I bought it to replace a TCH Gxt pedal that was occasionally giving me a "popping" sound with a strong attack on the bass E string. Today, the Play Acoustic started doing the same thing. Swell. I tried different EQ settings, but it would still occasionally... pop. Almost like pulling the guitar plug out of an amp without turning it off.

Like anyone thinking they have an illness, seeing a bird they can't identify, or having a problem with a home appliance, I went to the internet... seems there are a few other people who have experienced this popping sound, although their symptoms were different from mine. I saw that TC Helicon had a firmware update for the Play Acoustic. I hold my breath when I see "firmware update," because of issues with marine navigation systems and other electronics.

I did the download, then spent the next couple hours re-entering my preferred settings... nope, it didn't "hold" them. Somewhere in all that re-setting, I have no doubt that I further changed some of the Body-Rez settings. In the end, I now have no popping. The number of "pre-sets" for vocals and guitar with this pedal is staggering. Hundreds. I entered in my 3 or 4 favorites and called it "close enough for rock 'n roll."

The Blonde was very patient through all the sound checks.

The little furry girl continues to improve. The sun was out again today. Still a bit too chilly for me to want to take the boat out. I'd call it a good day.

--------------

For full disclosure, I eliminated the Fishman Loudbox and the Bose L1c as the source of the problem by endless switching of cords before determining the Play Acoustic was (for sure) the culprit.

Some of that sunshine I mentioned...

Last edited by Captain Jim; 01-04-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

After fussing with the Play Acoustic yesterday, I sat down to run through a few songs this morning. I try to pull out tunes that I haven't played in a while when I'm just practicing, and this one came up...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/the-joker

A very simple 3 chord song, fun to play, people enjoy it. Less than 45 minutes to tune up the bass and GSmini, record 4 tracks and mix it.

SoundCloud wants an image to go with each song. If you looked at the image from this one, that is a much younger version of yours truly. What's that? Haven't changed a bit? Nice of you to say... but if you look close, I'm wearing the hair a bit thinner and the torso a bit thicker.

And now, it's time to go play in the sunshine!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Anyone remember talking to an operator on the phone? Directory Assistance? Collect calls? Here's a song from those years, a cover of the Jim Croce song, Operator...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/operator-wdrums

Instead of recording from the PA, this time it was acoustic only with the guitar (X20) on the stereo XY mics on the H4n Pro recorder. Mixed down to mono for the MP3 upload.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber