The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
FWIW, it's an MJ (16.5") not an SJ (15.5")...
Made the change to the post. For 16.5, it sure doesn't feel too big. Felt very comfortable. Nice guitar, sweet and loud at the same time!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 PM

The narrow a it's really helps I feel...
Old 02-17-2016, 03:45 PM

Hello Halcyon thread!

I am the extremely fortunate owner of a Halcyon OM #71 Lutz over rosewood with Koa binding and rosette. I've had the guitar a few months now but wanted to really get to know it before posting a review.

First, how I got the guitar: Last year I bought a very nice used Larrivee OM-05 for a great price off of Kijiji (think Canadian craigslist). While chatting with the super nice guy selling the guitar he asked if I had heard of Halcyon? Well, he had four of them and was so enthusiastic that he even brought one to show me when we met to do the deal on the Larrivee. Coles notes is that the seller an myself kept in touch and have actually become friends! At this point I also decided to jump in and get on the waiting list for my own Halcyon based on his endorsements. Subsequently I got a chance to stop by his place and try out all four of his Halcyons. To summarize, they were all absolutely fantastic! All four are probably about the best guitars I have ever played. All different yet all very similar. The two that stood out the most were a Tasmanian Blackwood Lutz OM and a Rosewood Lutz OM. Both were staggeringly good. There was something special about the Blackwood OM in the high frequencies I've never heard before or since. Some kind of shimmer or sparkle. Despite that, I took a big shining to the tone of the rosewood OM. I of course asked if he would ever consider selling. He suggested that that would be unlikely but would think on it. Well, in the weeks and months following I bugged him relentlessly to sell me the rosewood OM and finally he relented. Woo Hoo! Rarely a day has passed since that I haven't played it.

Now, on to the review...

First a disclaimer: I don't play with a pick. Ever. Can't speak to the sound of strumming or flat picking with a pick. Sorry! I play exclusively finger style, or finger picking, however you wan't to define it, with flesh thumb and fingers. I strum by raking my nails for choruses of songs or to add strums to finger picked progressions. to get an idea Look up Matt from Eddies guitars youtube videos though I have a slightly shorter beard and way less talent...

Also, to make this as objective as possible, some guitars many of you may be familiar with that I have played to compare: Collings OM1A and Larrivee OM-05 have been played back to back with the Halcyon in the same room. Also, I literally just got home from a music store as I wanted to play a bunch of stuff before writing this so that my impressions would be fresh. I played a D-18, D-35, OM-28, a couple J-45's, J-15, Larri OM-03R, and a Larri D-04W. All guitars actually had decent setups and fairly good strings.

The Halcyon...

If you don't feel like reading the whole review, I'll save you some time. This is the best guitar I have ever played. No hesitation, not the honeymoon period talking, it's the best. There, done.

I know people have been asking for sound clips... Sorry, other than an iPhone I have no way to record it.

Now, more detail:

It get's brought up a lot but the first thing that strikes you the first time you pick one up is how little there is to pick up! These things are freaking light! Tapping the guitar top and body, things sound thin and resonant. Rest assured though, Ed seems to build them strong. It's always in tune and the action hasn't budged one iota despite seasonal changes. It had custom lights on it when I got it and I switched to regular EJ16 lights with absolutely no change in the action (a hair under 5/64 @ 12th fret bass side). Also, this one has a Spanish Cedar neck which has been stable as a rock. Do not be put off by Spanish cedar. Plus it smells absolutely fantastic! Setup is spot on.

Build quality? No flaws to be found. Basically as perfect as a something made out of wood by a human can be. I also love how ed binds the fingerboard in it's own offcuts. Looks way better than exposed fret ends!

I can see the finish being less than ideal for some. It's as thin as thin can be. I love it! It's hard to describe what it looks like as you can't really compare it to any other commercially available guitar. It's different than a poly satin finish, more of a subtle sheen. It actually dips into the pores of the wood ever so slightly. I think it looks really cool and feels great. Way better than matte or satin polyurethane. It would likely be less than ideal if you play on cramped stages or rough venues (or if you're a klutz) as it really offers little protection from dings and scratches.

The first thing to mention about the sound of these guitars: LOUD! holy moly. More sensitive, responsive and loud than any other guitar I've played. Dreads included (one possible exception was a freaky light Hartford Guild D-40 I had for a short time). Keep in mind the only boutique guitar I have played is a Collings OM1A (Ive played three actually). Played finger style, the Collings were very sweet and clear but the overall tone was thinner and quieter.

The next thing that still blows me away about this guitar (and the three other Halcyon's I've played) is the bass! The bass this thing puts out is unreal. It doesn't even make sense. Plus it's short scale (25"). Now it is 4 7/16" deep at the heel so it's a bit deeper than a typical OM but the difference is staggering. The Collings, Larrivee, and Martin OM's sound thin, boxy and a bit anemic in comparison (remember, this is relative to, they are still superb guitars). I promise I am not exaggerating. The only guitar that could compare would be the Martin D-18 but I'm not even sure about that. I'd have to try them in the same room but the D-18 did not exceed it in the bass department. Really, I'm not exaggerating. Please do keep in mind that this is bass notes played with a calloused thumb, not a pick. For bass note clarity there is no contest. The Halcyon roars. The D-18 keeps up for clarity but all of the other guitars pale in comparison. Gibson growl? nope, the Gibsons were weak and tubby played with flesh.

Mids and highs? I am not good at describing these tones but here goes...

The Halcyon is just sweet, round and lush sounding in any frequency. Ridiculous clarity. Many guitars sound tubby or muffled when played with flesh but not this one. It's also never harsh, honky or jangly. For example, I tend to find a lot of mahogany guitars a bit honky in the mids when played flesh. Despite being rosewood, it doesn't seem to have the typical scooped midrange of rosewood. Blues licks still sound great.

So there you go. I've got another Halcyon coming as well, as I got on the build list before I acquired the OM. It will likely be a Lutz over flamed walnut short scale SJ. It's been just about 6 months now so fingers crossed the build starts soon. The thing is though, I am so completely satisfied with this OM that I really haven't been antsy for my build at all. Excited, but not impatient. In fact, the only disappointing thing I can think of about my Halcyon is that it has totally eliminated my lust for other guitars!! I haven't set foot in a guitar store since getting it. My visit today for the purposes of this review only served to reinforce what I already suspected: I'm not going to find anything better...

Plus, holy smokes Americans, with the exchange rate these things are practically free!

Get in before the waiting list is 10 years...

I'll attempt to post some pictures...

Thanks for building an astonishing guitar Ed and Ryan!

Last edited by maluaka; 02-17-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM

Ha, that explains the 6th deposit I got yesterday
Old 02-17-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Ha, that explains the 6th deposit I got yesterday
Yup, my fault...
Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 PM

photo bucket is being a bugger, all the links appear as the same picture...

Anyway, here is the one they all appear as...

The bunnies aren't mine I swear...
Old 02-17-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Yes !!!!

Nice review maluaka ! Glad you are enjoying yours as I continue to enjoy mine. Welcome to the growing family !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Very cool, Mr. M! I've got #164 (NL-00, Lutz, Walnut) in line.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 02-18-2016, 03:42 PM

Maluaka
Your description of the bass is exactly what I'm looking for. My Halcyon is in transit as I type this.
Ed what do you think about my 000 compared to this guitar?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
Maluaka
Your description of the bass is exactly what I'm looking for. My Halcyon is in transit as I type this.
Ed what do you think about my 000 compared to this guitar?
I think you'll be in good shape. All four Halcyons I've played had outstanding bass. Three OM's and an AJ and all had very full, woody, Martin dread type bass. Other OM's sound tiny by comparison. Again, that's finger picked. My opinions on bass may be off base for those who play with a pick as the stronger attack of a pick I'm sure changes the dynamic of other guitars.

I think what Halcyons have going for them over factory guitars is how responsive they are. The relatively soft attack of a calloused thumb produces clear, rich bass tones where on a, let's say "stiffer" guitar, a thumb just can't get things moving enough and you get a flat, tubby tone.

Ed's guitars just feel lighter and far livelier than anything else I've played. I'm sure there are other boutiques that pull this off (for way more $$), I'm just comparing it to what I've owned and played.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 PM

Err...well, it was 70 guitars and some years ago, ya know?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Err...well, it was 70 guitars and some years ago, ya know?
I understand, just anxious can you tell!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Nope, not at all
Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
Very cool, Mr. M! I've got #164 (NL-00, Lutz, Walnut) in line.
I'm thinking on that one also.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm thinking on that one also.
Great!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop