The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Favorite Flatpick and Bluegrass Collection CD's?

Looking for some "collection" CD's of flatpick and bluegrass songs. What are your favorite collections that are out there?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:14 PM

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "collections." Compilations perhaps?
I'm not big on those, as I much prefer albums. I have collected hundreds of bluegrass and flatpicking vinyl records over the past few years, mostly from used record stores and thrift stores. Whenever I visit a new town or city, I seek out the record stores and clean out their bluegrass section, LOL. I have discovered some hidden gems that way, for example an album by Fred Carpenter (whom I had never heard of), accompanied by a very young Mark O'Connor on guitar and mandolin. It's called "Cuttin' Loose," and the two absolutely kill it on those tracks. Mark O'Connor isn't very well known for his guitar flatpicking, but hearing him on that and other albums makes me wish he had stayed with the guitar. I see no reason why he wouldn't be placed among Tony Rice and David Grier if he had.

A very good compilation CD is "Hot and Spicy - Flatpicking Favorites" by Dan Miller.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 03-05-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Yeah, compilations. The Hot&Spicy one looks great. Will check out the other you mentioned as well, thanks.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm not into bluegrass but my favorite guitar player is Norman Blake. His first two or three albums are awesome. Total old time country flat picking. You can't go wrong.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM

All Star Bluegrass Celebration was a Live PBS show put on in 02'. You oughta' still be able to get a CD. The Show is on Youtube. Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Allison Kraus and her band, Earl Skruggs, Ralph Stanley and his band, Patty Loveless, Travis Tritt, The Del McCroury Band, Nickle Creek, Bruce Hornsby. It'll knock your ears off.

Del McCoury does a cover of 52' Vincent Black Lightnin' that is worth the price of the CD alone.

Gibson Dove

Last edited by brad2001; 03-05-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 PM

Bill Monroe and Doc Watson: Live Duet Recordings 1963-1980

https://folkways.si.edu/bill-monroe-...um/Smithsonian

Clarence White: 33 Guitar Instrumentals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005QD5D
Old 03-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "collections." Compilations perhaps?
I'm not big on those, as I much prefer albums. I have collected hundreds of bluegrass and flatpicking vinyl records over the past few years, mostly from used record stores and thrift stores. Whenever I visit a new town or city, I seek out the record stores and clean out their bluegrass section, LOL. I have discovered some hidden gems that way, for example an album by Fred Carpenter (whom I had never heard of), accompanied by a very young Mark O'Connor on guitar and mandolin. It's called "Cuttin' Loose," and the two absolutely kill it on those tracks. Mark O'Connor isn't very well known for his guitar flatpicking, but hearing him on that and other albums makes me wish he had stayed with the guitar. I see no reason why he wouldn't be placed among Tony Rice and David Grier if he had.

A very good compilation CD is "Hot and Spicy - Flatpicking Favorites" by Dan Miller.
Yes, Mark O'Connor won the National Flat Pick Guitar Championship in Winfield Kansas in 1975 at age 13. He also has won championships in Mandolin & Fiddle. There are videos on YouTube of him playing guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN