The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I have learned from working with a wide range of talented, inept, intelligent, ignorant, experienced and inexperienced people that most people have areas where they excel, get by and are clueless. I'm sure we have all had our moments. Good and bad. I watch people doing questionable things and wonder myself. But I know that people have been people since the beginning of time and somehow here we are. I know I'll never figure it out or think I am of a special class.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
...most people have areas where they excel, get by and are clueless. I'm sure we have all had our moments...
And here we get to cherry pick the events that had the worst or most laughable results. The dumb things I have done didnt have such bad results, but dumb is dumb.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Still unclear to me why the woman dipped her hair in Gorilla Glue?

scott
According to a Saturday Night Live skit last week she thought it was a beauty product-- and then sued the company over the result.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And then there is the California school board that decided to deride the parents of their students on an open mic while a Zoom parent's meeting was gathering. Um... duh.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
1. A guy who had been scammed out of his etire pension pot, received a call from someone saying that fr £20,000 they could get his pension back. He borrowed the £20,000.
Now he has no pension and a debt of £20,000. Who'd a thunk it?

What do you bet they were working together. A Two-fer Con.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:40 PM

George Carlin once made a comment on this very topic...I think the gist of it was:

"Think for a moment how stupid the average person is...now consider that half the people are more stupid than that..."
Old 02-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

My lovely wife is a very smart person. She had a graduate degree, was a highly respected teacher for many years, was the tech coordinator for her school, is something of a math whiz, etc, etc, etc. But she's got a giant blind spot when it comes to really basic physical kinds of things. Like levolor blinds - she can't figure them out. How in a second story window, you turn them one way to block bright sunlight, but when it gets dark and you turn your lights on, you turn them the other way so people outdoors at ground level can't see into the room.

Similarly, I'll NEVER forget driving down the freeway with her many years ago - we saw a car ahead of us with it's trunk open and a basketball rolling around back there. She said, and I quote, "Get away from that car - if they have to slam their brakes on, that ball could come firing back at us"! I tried to explain that that's now how the ball would react to the brakes being slammed on - it would roll forward to the front most wall of the trunk and MAYBE, if the car stopped suddenly enough it might compress against that trunk wall and could possibly pop back out of the trunk, but not with any speed or force. She just couldn't get that.

She's the farthest thing from dense or unintelligent - she just has a blind spot. It's one I find pretty confounding and occasionally amusing. I'm quite sure I have similarly impressive blind spots that others see, but I don't. Because that's how blind spots work. I'd be the last to know.

So yeah. I wouldn't call it fumbling through life, but I'd understand if others saw it that way...

-Ray
Old 02-19-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have learned from working with a wide range of talented, inept, intelligent, ignorant, experienced and inexperienced people that most people have areas where they excel, get by and are clueless...
Nobody is a genius in all areas nor is anyone completely ignorant in all areas...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-19-2021, 05:10 PM

Arguably the smartest man who ever lived, Isaac newton, had two cats. One on the big side and one on the small side. Apparently they were keeping him up a lot at night by scratching at his door either to come in or to go out… I can relate.
So he decided to solve his problem by sawing a hole in his wooden door. The first cat door!
The stupid thing was he made a cut a small hole for the small cat and a large hole for the large cat. Beautiful.

Scott
Old 02-19-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Nobody is a genius in all areas nor is anyone completely ignorant in all areas...
+1

I have never met anyone who is good at everything or always makes smart decisions.

I did so many dumb things in my teens and 20s that it is a wonder I am alive.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I had a neighbour, ironically an engineer by trade, who put his basement sump pump on a timeswitch.

Think about it.

That being said, going back to the subject of the OP, I think I’m equally concerned by the ever-growing (or so it seems) number of people who manage to get through life with no discernible sense of humour.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-19-2021, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

We went to a drive-thru ice sculpture exhibit at our local fairgrounds. The automobile crowd was enormous. Thousands of cars. The would creep forward, take a look and move along like in a museum. The guy in front of me, put his car in park every time he stopped. Apparently to save gas?!? I think he parked his car over 500 times for less than five seconds each time.

And what about the people who take picture at concerts (or worse at fireworks shows) with their flash on.

This same guy in front of me - his wife sat in their car in the dark and took pictures with her flash inside the car looking out her windows at the ice sculptures. Between the white reverse light every few seconds and all their windows exploding with a flash if light it looked likt their car was in an electrical storm. And when they got home they had hundreds of illuminated pictures of the inside of the car.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-19-2021, 07:09 PM

A recent tragedy in my life has encouraged me to enter into a round of intensive meditation. The problem with this particular practice is that it results in you having to revisit every dumb, stupid, rotten, insensitive thing you've ever done in your life. If I had just turned left rather than right, or looked up instead of down, or taken a different route home way back when, everything would have been different. Instead of sitting in my comfortably warm home in the middle of a blizzard, I could just as easily be sitting somewhere homeless and freezing. I'd be the guy you are all making fun of, and rightly so. I've done some really dumb stuff. I am humbled by my idiocy.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:16 PM

I think the nature of play has changed. When I was a kid we built stuff....forts, toys, bike trails, car models....etc.... We got a feel for the physical world. The strength of materials, their weight and their limits. We jumped our bikes over ramps.....gave us a feel for the physics of speed and incline and distance of flight.
I don't think many kids do much of this these days. Too much virtual play. Parents hover more and prevent free and somewhat dangerous play. Everything is scheduled and quantified. Not much room for creative free play.
I think this creates a separation from the physical world.
Just a theory.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I think the nature of play has changed. When I was a kid we built stuff....forts, toys, bike trails, car models....etc.... We got a feel for the physical world. The strength of materials, their weight and their limits. We jumped our bikes over ramps.....gave us a feel for the physics of speed and incline and distance of flight.
I don't think many kids do much of this these days. Too much virtual play. Parents hover more and prevent free and somewhat dangerous play. Everything is scheduled and quantified. Not much room for creative free play.
I think this creates a separation from the physical world.
Just a theory.
I think this is ‘sorta’ true, but we had a lot of dumb kids way back when, playing with cherry bombs, driving drunk, shooting guns, unjamming snowblowers, etc. some of them didn’t make it to adulthood. They couldn’t record the stunt and post it instantly to Instagram and most weren’t exactly proud of the exploit after they were maimed. Maybe our ER and EMT treatment is a lot more capable now too.

That George Carlin quote above really says it well. I miss his observational humor.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic