The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default people fumbling through life......

My friend's brakes were squeaky, so he oiled them with WD40......almost died going down a dead-end hill

I saw a video of a guy using a come-a-long to pull a tree out. The other end was hooked to his aluminum downspout which promptly flew across his yard.

I had an engineer in a lab trying to shorten a screw he had clamped in a vise by hitting it with a hammer.

These are all true stories and just examples.......stories like this abound.

Like the guy with the chain.....you know how to use a come-a-long but you dont even have a comprehension that your flimsy aluminum downspout which flexes in your hand won't support withstand hundreds of pounds against a tree?

There are frequent guitar stories like this, as well but my question is more general:

How do people stumble through life and not have the most basic, fundamental, rudimentary understanding of the physical world around them?

I'm not expecting everyone to be a physicist or an engineer, but understanding some really basic functions of the world you live in seems, to me, a pre-requisite for being a resident of this planet.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-19-2021, 12:47 PM

There ya go applying *logic* again Fazool.

I've often wondered how some folk make their way through *life*.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

daughter just texted our family group chat......

her friend, the ENGLISH MAJOR (!).......complained said she hasn't read a book in ten years, needs to do some assigned reading and doesn't have money for books.

My daughter told her friend (the ENGLISH MAJOR!) that she could go to the library.

To which her friend (the English Major!) replied

"I forgot libraries were a thing"

SMH

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Fazool - IMO, there’s usually someone who picks up the pieces for them after the damage is done - be it a friend, a sibling or a parent.

Honestly - not everyone has what it takes to survive on their own.

Rick
Old 02-19-2021, 12:55 PM

And in regards to your daughter’s friend, it’s all about getting attention by making outrageous comments. Seems to be an American disease these days.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Wasn't there a story recently about a girl who dunked her hair in Gorilla Glue?

I think we're all born with a measure of common sense, but some individuals do seem to have been left with a few cards short in that department.
I'm sure we're all guilty of having done something pretty dumb in our lives, but I agree that some of these wild stories we hear about, if true, are much worse than average.
Add to that the emergence of social media, which has taken it to a whole other level.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
daughter just texted our family group chat......

her friend, the ENGLISH MAJOR (!).......complained said she hasn't read a book in ten years, needs to do some assigned reading and doesn't have money for books.

My daughter told her friend (the ENGLISH MAJOR!) that she could go to the library.

To which her friend (the English Major!) replied

"I forgot libraries were a thing"

SMH
My college roommate (also an ENGLISH MAJOR) earned his degree without reading a single book but graduated with a stack of Monarch Notes. Fast forward to today. I play music in my car through my iPod Touch, but today it wouldn't work in the car. I tried another cord, but no dice. I tried a different USB port in the car - still nada. I tried playing through the headphone jack and freestanding - both worked. I tried an in home portable base for the iPod but still no dice. Let me tell you, many, many books have been written on what I don't know about electronics. I was on the verge of buying a new iPod Touch, but decided to go on-line to get some answers. I don't even know the name of the rectangular jack on the bottom of the iPod that's not the headphone jack so that made it difficult. But still I persevered. Went to settings and moved the volume setting back & forth. Plugged the bottom jack back into the in home base, and it was working. Went out to the car and plugged it in, and lo and behold it worked. Will it work tomorrow? Anybody's guess....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-19-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I listen to talk radio a lot.

Just today I heard two stories.

1. A guy who had been scammed out of his etire pension pot, received a call from someone saying that fr £20,000 they could get his pension back. He borrowed the £20,000.
Now he has no pension and a debt of £20,000. Who'd a thunk it?

2. A short interview with two Politics students who admitted that they'd never listened to the BBC "Today Programme" - this is a three hour daily programme about UK and world news, politics and economics.

We are in safe hands!
Old 02-19-2021, 01:04 PM

I regularly watch Fail Army videos, some are hysterical, but some are just hard to watch.

Indeed there are some seriously cranial challenged people walking around. It's hard to argue with Darwin...
Old 02-19-2021, 01:21 PM

Common sense, bah, highly overrated !!
Examples abound of folks who haven’t a teaspoon of it, but are still walking around.
Listen to some of the 911 calls —-
Old 02-19-2021, 01:31 PM

They're in training for a Darwin Award.

YouTube
Old 02-19-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

I think we're all born with a measure of common sense, but some individuals do seem to have been left with a few cards short in that department.
I'm sure we're all guilty of having done something pretty dumb in our lives, but I agree that some of these wild stories we hear about, if true, are much worse than average.
Add to that the emergence of social media, which has taken it to a whole other level.
Well, since you brought it up...

This had got to be one of the most idiotic tales currently circulating on the internet (it keeps popping up all over the place).

1. This woman is NOT a girl. She's 40. She's a mother of several and a teacher.

2. She used Go Fund Me to raise the funds for a plastic surgeon. Luckily one volunteered their services. I think she gave the funds to charity. So at least that was fine, but why are people willing to fund an 'educated' older woman's folly? Why is it okay to ask for money?

Maybe I'm living in the past, but if I honestly made a mistake and glued my hair down I would shave it all off and never tell a soul. I'd just wear a hat until it all grew back.

(And yes, the glue had to be removed...the scalp has to breathe).

Are we all this desperate to be 'entertaining' and to be entertained?

Now there have also been copycats...also asking for money...

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM

The Gorilla Glue Girl - she ended up in the hospital for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 PM

There was the nice old couple that bought one of those "fancy" RV's to tool around the country. The gentleman put it on cruise control and went back to the galley to help his lovely wife make sandwiches. I kid you not.

scott
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM

Still unclear to me why the woman dipped her hair in Gorilla Glue?

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic