The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 AM

Default School me on Telescopes

since a number of ppl here are interested in Telescopes, looking for some advice on a purchase. I've only had a few, and none were very expensive.

So much to choose from. Reflector? Refractor? Is it down to preference, or is one better than another?

Looking to do some moon watching, and beyond. Trying to keep the budget between $350 and $500...

Photo attachments would be nice, I have a pretty decent DSLR setup (Canon D Series with a variety of lenses.)

Anyone have advice to offer?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 AM

The main thing is your decision on whether you want to do photography, or not.

Going the photography route, at least telescopic photography, is a huge rabbit hole. You can do quite a lot with just a camera and a tripod, and I assume you do have a tripod.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXcRKoxTPVg

This is a long video of taking a shot of the Andromeda galaxy, like the one posted here. So you can do things like that with your existing camera gear. But if you want to move into telescopic work, that is a different beast. It requires a tracking platform. Considering what you state as your budget, ummm, that may not be where you want to go.

The second thing is location, and whether you think you may get interested enough to take gear somewhere else, that is, to a darker location. I travel 200 miles to my dark site. With a van load of gear.

You can get amazing telescopes for visual use in that price range. Telescopes that are capable of giving a life-time of targets to look for/at.

Photography takes a lot of time. I don't know if you have been following some of the details that have been posted. Hundreds and hundreds of shots, many many hours of computer processing. I encourage you to be honest with yourself. The equipment manufacturers and dealers make it seem like magic. And I have to say, things today ARE a lot lot easier than in my day. Back then, we actually baked film in tanks of hydrogen, in the oven, to get hypered film. Yikes. The digital revolution really has made a gigantic difference. Plus telescopes themselves have become cheaper and more sophisticated. So, yes, astrophotography is way way more friendly than it used to be. But again, it takes time, and if you get serious...$$$$$$.

I have been doing this for 60 years. I have taught many courses on astrophotography, and on visual work. It is a fabulous hobby. The observer community, I have found, are great. Going to a star party with many people and gobs of gear is really fun.

If there is an astronomy club near you I strongly recommend talking with them. We love new comers!

The third thing (closer linked with the second thing) is portability. A telescope that is not used because it is pain in the butt to move is a useless telescope. Unless of course you are fortunate to live somewhere that you can keep things outside and available.

I know someone with an amazing, fantastic telescope - a 24" Star Master. Stunning views. But a huge pain to move around. So he only uses it maybe three times a year. Here is a photo of me with my 20".

I no longer have it because I am now almost 20 years on from that photo, and I just can not lug that thing around by myself anymore.

So, by all means get a telescope! There are lots of choices out there. It all depends on what you think you want to do.

Casual looking at the moon? And the moon is a fantastically fascinating object! I still, after all these years, am blown away with what a good telescope, and good eyepieces, can show.

Moon and planets? There is much debate over refractor versus reflector. It depends. If you want high power (magnification) and NO chromatic aberration, then IMO a larger reflector with a stop-down mask is the way to go. It comes in MUCH cheaper than large high quality refractors.

Planets and deep space (i.e. nebulae and galaxies)? If you are NOT doing photography, then there is no question...a larger reflector is king. Aperture is king. The larger the telescope (the objective) the more light you get. For things that are faint the bottom line is you want as much light as possible. The reason you can get away with a smaller telescope in photography is that you stack many many many images together and that way you can add up the light. Visually, as in those are actual photons hitting my retina and going into my brain, you have to deal with whatever you get immediately. So if you want more light, you need bigger optics.

Still, a 10" scope can deliver a life-time of objects to view. With good eyepieces and some specialized filters you can get breath-taking views. You can get a decent 10" scope for a wee bit more than your $500.

You can continue this thread for information as I am sure there are others who can add comments/suggestions. If you want, you can PM me.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 AM

Hey thanks for that ! That telescope in the photo is Caa-Razy!

I've had a few since child hood, I had a reflector my dad gave me, and a very inexpensive refractor, so looking for something a cut above those, but not looking right now to go nuts. There's a lot of light pollution where we live so I'm not sure how I'll contend with that yet.

Not really dead set on astro photography,, I've got a good bit of experience with photography, (Landscape photography is my thing..) So I know at least enough to know what a rabbit hole that could get to for Astro work.

I have a 500mm APO lens for my Canon's, it's a beast, and cost-a-plenty, but a great lens for doing stuff like this:

I came across this Gskyer, lots of good reviews, so many to choose from in this price range but, just to get something that I can try out and get used to. Lots of positive reviews, and not a lot of negative feedback,, seems like a solid unit, but what do I know? Could be not much more than a toy,, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Gskyer-Telesc...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have a bud who is kind of where I'm at with the interest in this, and it's similar to the one he's just purchased, (Mead Infinity 90) I was tempted to try the 102 from Mead but it's hard to find any that are available with out a back order wait.

thanks for your advice, I appreciate it! I'll come back with results!

Last edited by rmp; 01-27-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Hey thanks for that ! That telescope in the photo is Caa-Razy!

I've had a few since child hood, I had a reflector my dad gave me, and a very inexpensive refractor, so looking for something a cut above those, but not looking right now to go nuts. There's a lot of light pollution where we live so I'm not sure how I'll contend with that yet.

Not really dead set on astro photography,, I've got a good bit of experience with photography, (Landscape photography is my thing..) So I know at least enough to know what a rabbit hole that could get to for Astro work.

I have a 500mm APO lens for my Canon's, it's a beast, and cost-a-plenty, but a great lens for doing stuff like this:

I was looking in the $250~500 budget and I came across this Gskyer, lots of good reviews, so many to choose from in this price range but, just to get something that I can try out and get used to. Lots of positive reviews, and not a lot of negative feedback,, seems like a solid unit, but what do I know?
https://www.amazon.com/Gskyer-Telesc...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

so I may give that one a shot. I have a bud who is kind of where I'm at with the interest in this, and it's similar to the one he's just purchased, (Mead Infinity 90) I was tempted to try the 102 from Mead but it's hard to find any that are available with out a back order wait.

thanks for your advice, I appreciate it! I'll come back with results!
The Fakespot reviews are an F:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/gsk...chnology-scope

Always double check with Fakespot.

Get a well known brand like Orion, Meade, and Celestron.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM

learn something new every day.. thanks for the heads up as I didn't know about this.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
learn something new every day.. thanks for the heads up as I didn't know about this.
Yeah, fakespot is a good resource. Lots of shill reviews on the net.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-27-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, fakespot is a good resource. Lots of shill reviews on the net.
yea crazy,, really wasn't aware of this, thanks Rob!
Old 01-27-2021, 03:08 PM

Don’t look at the sun, i forgot to put in the sun filter and felt a laser going across my face.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
Don’t look at the sun, i forgot to put in the sun filter and felt a laser going across my face.
YIKES!!!!

I agree with Rob, check out reliable makers.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:52 AM

my wife (bless her kind heart) ordered the one I was looking at the other day.

I think she wanted to surprise me??.. she did..

it arrived last night, we already agreed we'd just return it if it's no good. but we'll see. I'll check it out later.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
my wife (bless her kind heart) ordered the one I was looking at the other day.

I think she wanted to surprise me??.. she did..

it arrived last night, we already agreed we'd just return it if it's no good. but we'll see. I'll check it out later.
Which one was that??

Old 01-29-2021, 08:29 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WCG3UOS...ustomerReviews
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Excellent forum, including for-sale:
https://www.cloudynights.com/

Very helpful reviews:
http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/firstscopes.htm
http://www.scopereviews.com/

I have an Orion 4.5" StarBlast I bought used. I don't use it much: it satisfied an itch. In retrospect I would have liked a narrower field model, but it is quite fine. I was able to buy a number of nice eyepieces used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic