The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2021, 01:37 PM

Default K14ce vs K24ce Builder's Editions

Which one would you buy and why?
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)

Last edited by jpricewood; 03-16-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:33 PM

About 1 year ago I bought a used Taylor K14CE builder's edition for $4000. It was in great shape. It is fairly bright but nicely balanced and so easy hold and play. It is flexible for fingerpicking and strumming and, after a time getting used to it, has become my #1 guitar.

If you can get one for $3000 (in great shape) then that is a good deal.

But is it right for you? Hard to say. They do tend towards the brighter side of the spectrum. You can adjust that some with how you play, strings you choose and pick (if you use one).

I also have a Taylor 717 (mahogany slope shouldered dread). Very different. Definitely rounder and more mid-range, but with an solid bass due to the dread size. Sometimes I just want that sound.

Finally I have to admit something. I also own a Martin OMC-16 GTE. That was my first acoustic guitar. The K14CE is a bit better (a little more comfortable to hold, a tad more bass, slightly more balanced higher up the neck) but not a ton better. The Martin sounds great as well. I don't regret buying the K14CE, and I use it most days, but honestly I didn't "need" it. I would have been fine with the Martin. Just something to consider.

I am saving the Martin because it is excellent when plugged in and, being less expensive, a safer guitar for playing out.

Last point I own one other guitar - a 1969 D28 with Brazilian wood. That guitar was given to me by my father who played it for years. I admit has a great, classic sound but, sad to say, I don't play it much. It is quite big plus it has a narrower neck (I think it is 1 11/16) which I'm not as used to. Sometimes I like to strum it.

The reason I point all this out is to show how personal all this is. For many the Martin D28 would be "the" guitar but not for me.

Finally I'll give you the obvious advice - if there is any way to try out the guitars before you buy them do so! Otherwise maybe you can buy them from somewhere that offers a 30 day return policy....
Old 03-15-2021, 03:53 PM

i've neve played a K14ce but i remember trying a K24ce a few years ago and i really liked it (probably the only Taylor that i REALLY liked). when i listen to them A/B'd online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4xPULPfkA i prefer the K24ce tone to the K14ce - just seems to have a more grounded/earthy sound that i would prefer. i personally like the darker shade of the Koa top aesthetically. since both are quite expensive, i think you should just go on personal preference. sounds like you can get a nice deal on K14ce but if you are going to just pine after the K24ce anyways then i would wait out for a K24ce.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

This is a matter of personal preference. You really need to play both. I played both and much preferred the K14ce Builder's Edition, which I now own.

But, then, I personally never got along with either mahogany or koa tops. I much prefer either spruce or cedar.

As with other posters in this thread, I have to agree that what I like really doesn't matter. Ultimately, you have to live with your choice, and to do that, you really need to play both. Both are going to be excellent instruments in terms of quality, but will have different tones and your ear will tell you what you need to know.

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion