The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-26-2021, 12:56 PM

Default Batson Guitars

I recently look a trip to Nashville and ended up purchasing a Batson Custom Redwood-Paldao Nylon String Crossover.

It is in mint condition and sounds wonderful but I can't find hardly anything about this maker/brand even here on the forum. I believe they are permanently closed but I figure people here would know the most.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to keep the guitar in the long run or put up for sale but for now I'm just trying to learn about them. Price seems to be all over the map from $2k-$12k (new prices). I'm assuming that they had a non custom line that cost $2k and the $9k ones were handmade custom pieces.

I'll see if I can post some pictures below

Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Cool guitar!

I very well could be wrong, but I believe they are still going. I heard of Batson years ago, and was intrigued by the design. Corey Batson was building them one at a time, but sometime later I believe he expanded and offered small shop production guitars at more affordable pricing. I believe one can still order custom one off guitars as well.

I hadn't played one until I played one of their production guitars at NAMM in 2020. They were nice. I later played a more custom model at one of the Boutique Guitar showcase put on by a local dealer. Very responsive guitars that are in the same vein (IMO) as Skytop and McPherson Guitars. For some reason though, they don't seem to get much notoriety here on the AGF. According to their website, they have several dealers in and around the Nashville area, for that is where they are headquartered.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

There were two Batson brothers building then one of them fell ill and I think the other brother is still building the last that I knew of.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:30 PM

What is the bracing style, and how does it compare to the average nylon sound?
Old 03-27-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
They have their own unique sound. They won a Nashville award for their production guitar design. Here are 2 photographs of bracing on their custom series. I would suggest several videos on their products that will give you a much better perspective on sound. Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Is that bracing for the nylon? At first look it's similar to the Troubadour's. I could find only one short YouTube video of someone playing the crossover, and it was limited to one technique. This makes two nylons I would like to try: Emerald's and the Batson.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Is that bracing for the nylon? At first look it's similar to the Troubadour's. I could find only one short YouTube video of someone playing the crossover, and it was limited to one technique. This makes two nylons I would like to try: Emerald's and the Batson.
Here is their first bracing pattern, it was a proprietory truss brace pattern. Also attached is a link for a very interesting article regarding Batson and their entire building process that may help.

https://folkloreforum.net/2012/08/13...onsive-design/
Old 03-27-2021, 02:24 PM

That was a fun read, mostly when the brothers were quoted. The interviewer's academic 'speak' provided some entertainment as well.

"Voicing a guitar’s top, perhaps more so than any other process of design and creation, is “workmanship of risk.” Stock bracing patterns are tailored to complement and supplement the constellation of potentialities found within the assemblage of construction media."
Old 03-28-2021, 08:33 AM

Batson Guitars is now run by Corey. Grant, the other brother, used to build as well but has moved on to other ventures- though he does teach a building class. I heard from him recently. He said Corey moved Batson Guitars up to Michigan and is still building.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how much I'd be a good judge of this because I only have a handful of years playing proper classical guitar. I can say that the sound is very full and rich but has a tight/focused as well. I find that when you get one, you usually end up lacking in the other but this guitar seems to do both very well. Could it be because the sound hole is directed to the player and no outward? Very possible. I have no way here in Ohio to properly mic it and record it to compare.

Anyone that would like to come play it and demo it, you are more than welcome. I am located in the Springboro, Ohio area (southwest Ohio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaE View Post
Batson Guitars is now run by Corey. Grant, the other brother, used to build as well but has moved on to other ventures- though he does teach a building class. I heard from him recently. He said Corey moved Batson Guitars up to Michigan and is still building.
I found Grant's number on the internet and left him a message a couple of days ago. I guess if he isn't with the company anymore then that would explain no call back haha. I will try and find a way to contact Corey.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop