The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-07-2020, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

A couple questions before I respond to your request for suggestions:

Ultra responsive can be very demanding of a player’s technique. Are you certain you want this? Some guitars can go from 0 to 60 with the slightest change of attack. Are you certain that you want this or simply a guitar that is reasonably responsive to attack?

Why the ask for a lightly built guitar? I have guitars that are feather light and others that are somewhat heavier. All are great guitars. Is this an ergonomic request or a perception regarding that weight correlates to sound?

Words describing sound can often be the source of confusion. What do you mean by “a piano like deep but tight bass”? Do you want a bass that sustains and rumbles or one that is tight and articulate? This may not only influence the builder that I suggest but the size/model of guitar and wood choices.

What is a “modern” sound to you. I know what a traditional sound is. What guitars have you played that you consider to exemplify a “modern” sound.

Different builders have differing experience building guitars at different sizes, woods and features. Can you articulate a bit more about what you are looking for in terms of body size, number of frets to the body or whether you play in alternate tunings?

Sorry for all the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm looking for an ultra responsive, light built guitar, tons of sustain, clarity and piano like deep but tight bass. Leaning more towards a modern sound than traditional/vintage.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. Very helpful.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
A couple questions before I respond to your request for suggestions:

Ultra responsive can be very demanding of a player’s technique. Are you certain you want this? Some guitars can go from 0 to 60 with the slightest change of attack. Are you certain that you want this or simply a guitar that is reasonably responsive to attack?

Why the ask for a lightly built guitar? I have guitars that are feather light and others that are somewhat heavier. All are great guitars. Is this an ergonomic request or a perception regarding that weight correlates to sound?

Words describing sound can often be the source of confusion. What do you mean by “a piano like deep but tight bass”? Do you want a bass that sustains and rumbles or one that is tight and articulate? This may not only influence the builder that I suggest but the size/model of guitar and wood choices.

What is a “modern” sound to you. I know what a traditional sound is. What guitars have you played that you consider to exemplify a “modern” sound.

Different builders have differing experience building guitars at different sizes, woods and features. Can you articulate a bit more about what you are looking for in terms of body size, number of frets to the body or whether you play in alternate tunings?

Sorry for all the questions.
Please don't apologize, you are helping me! Thank you.

It doesn't have to be light weight, but it seems like most of the ones I played that were loud and super responsive were.

Ideally I'd like something comfortable like an OM sized body, but I can play a bigger guitar if I need to to get the tone and playability I'm after. I do some alt tunings, but prefer to stick with standard scale (25.5" or thereabouts). As for tonewoods, I was thinking redwood over rosewood although I'd want to run that by the builder and see what he suggested.

Jeez, I don't know how to answer those questions really. Sound can be difficult to describe. Maybe this will help - my Lowden o25c has a sound that I consider modern. Big, articulate bass, very responsive, lot's of overtones, built in natural reverb. Here is a thread I made recently with me playing it. I rolled off some bass (EQ) for the purpose of the video, but maybe it will help?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=596962
Old 11-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Bigfoot guitars. I know you were concerned about international shipping and taxes and such, but I paid $400 for shipping and the guitar arrived to me in 2 DAYS! If you have any questions, pm me.
Feel free to check out my build thread on that:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=523232

Osthoff, Baranik and Bashkin would be at the top of my list. Also Tom Doerr includes Brazilian in his Standard for $6500.

And of course, buying used will always give you a greater bang for the buck and gives you a chance to find what you are looking for. It's nice to romanticize about custom commissions, but there is always a greater risk if you haven't played an example of the builder's work!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

That was helpful (thanks). Lowden is a good reference. I know their sound.

Your Lowden O25c is much larger (16-1/2”), deeper (4-15/16”) guitar than a traditional OM (e.g. 15” x 4-1/8”) but so are many luthier made guitars called OMs. Deeper bodies tend to produce bass with a slower attack with varying sustain and overtones depending on top and body woods in my experience. An OM being a much smaller less deep instrument will have a more articulate bass. The amount of bloom or euphonic rumble is very body wood influenced in my experience.

So it sounds like you may want a larger model guitar with long scale as a starting point. The higher damping the body wood and shallower it is, the faster and more articulate the bass will typically be in a larger instrument. I saw that your guitar had a cutaway but the piece you played did not require one so I am uncertain whether it on your wish list. Typically, between optional woods and features such as a cutaway it is not uncommon to add another 20-30% to the base cost of a luthier made instrument so keep that in mind.

I suggest in your search you consider the following luthiers/models:

Luthier - Michael Bashkin
Model - The SJ

Luthier - Laurent Brondel
Model - A1 Essential

Luthier - Bruce Sexauer
Model - FT-16 WRX

Both Bruce and Laurent’s standard trim appointments may be above your price point (TBD) but Bruce’s WRX and Laurent’s Essential appointments have base prices for thousands of dollars less. They are every bit as good acoustically, just with humbler appointments. Alternately, check out the used pernambuco/adirondack spruce Brondel A1c for sale now in the AGF classifieds.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=591152

That might be a good choice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Please don't apologize, you are helping me! Thank you.

It doesn't have to be light weight, but it seems like most of the ones I played that were loud and super responsive were.

Ideally I'd like something comfortable like an OM sized body, but I can play a bigger guitar if I need to to get the tone and playability I'm after. I do some alt tunings, but prefer to stick with standard scale (25.5" or thereabouts). As for tonewoods, I was thinking redwood over rosewood although I'd want to run that by the builder and see what he suggested.

Jeez, I don't know how to answer those questions really. Sound can be difficult to describe. Maybe this will help - my Lowden o25c has a sound that I consider modern. Big, articulate bass, very responsive, lot's of overtones, built in natural reverb. Here is a thread I made recently with me playing it. I rolled off some bass (EQ) for the purpose of the video, but maybe it will help?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=596962
Old 11-07-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
That was helpful (thanks). Lowden is a good reference. I know their sound.

Your Lowden O25c is much larger (16-1/2”), deeper (4-15/16”) guitar than a traditional OM (e.g. 15” x 4-1/8”) but so are many luthier made guitars called OMs. Deeper bodies tend to produce bass with a slower attack with varying sustain and overtones depending on top and body woods in my experience. An OM being a much smaller less deep instrument will have a more articulate bass. The amount of bloom or euphonic rumble is very body wood influenced in my experience.

So it sounds like you may want a larger model guitar with long scale as a starting point. The higher damping the body wood and shallower it is, the faster and more articulate the bass will typically be in a larger instrument. I saw that your guitar had a cutaway but the piece you played did not require one so I am uncertain whether it on your wish list. Typically, between optional woods and features such as a cutaway it is not uncommon to add another 20-30% to the base cost of a luthier made instrument so keep that in mind.

I suggest in your search you consider the following luthiers/models:

Luthier - Michael Bashkin
Model - The SJ

Luthier - Laurent Brondel
Model - A1 Essential

Luthier - Bruce Sexauer
Model - FT-16 WRX

Both Bruce and Laurent’s standard trim appointments may be above your price point (TBD) but Bruce’s WRX and Laurent’s Essential appointments have base prices for thousands of dollars less. They are every bit as good acoustically, just with humbler appointments. Alternately, check out the used pernambuco/adirondack spruce Brondel A1c for sale now in the AGF classifieds.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=591152

That might be a good choice as well.
Thanks for all that. I appreciate you taking the time. I'll check out all of those guys. I'm pretty dead set to keep it in the 4 figure range, so I might not be able to afford some of those guys, but I'll check into it regardless.

As for a cutaway, it's nice to have for when I capo up the neck, although I have 14 fret guitars that don't have a cutaway and I seem to be able to play on those just fine and I have pieces that go up to the 17th fret. To me, it's like a sunroof on a car - nice to have but if everything else is there and it doesn't have a sunroof, it's not a problem. Heck, it might make some guitars that I couldn't afford affordable to leave it out.

Sure wish it was possible to go up to Asheville or do a Nashville weekend. Darned covid.

Last edited by jklotz; 11-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Check out Joel Stehr. You’ve had a bunch of other great references, as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Your list of wants is a pretty good description of my Northwood mini-jumbo, from luthier John McQuarrie in British Columbia. Here’s a demo:

https://shorelinemusic.com/blogs/gui...rthwood-r80-mj
Old 11-07-2020, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi jklotz, I've already sent you a PM
Old 11-12-2020, 02:52 PM

Fred Tellier . He’s building Mme a third guitar(build thread to come ��)
I play fingerstyle guitar and Fred built me a maple « small jumbo », a Blackwood baritone and now a parlor is on the way.

I’ve played much more expensive guitars that ,to me, didn’t sound as good. Of course this is something quite subjective.

Fred’s base price is around 5500 $ . He will work to get what you want regarding sound and appointments etc. although he won’t get into a build if he feels he won’t be proud of the results.

He is easy going, relax and generous when it’s time to communicate with the client.

Fred is a member here so have look. FE TELLIER

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux

Last edited by J-F C; 11-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop