The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Luthier Recommendations

I've been toying around with the idea of having a guitar for fingerstyle commissioned for a while now. I'm looking for an ultra responsive, light built guitar, tons of sustain, clarity and piano like deep but tight bass. Leaning more towards a modern sound than traditional/vintage. Preferably in the USA, as I've heard some horror stories with duties and customs when shipping guitars, although I might consider overseas if the circumstances warranted it.

One caveat - it needs to stay in the 4 figure range. As fun as it would be to have a Somogyi or the like, those guys are out of my league unfortunately.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Randall Kramer Guitars in Truckee, CA makes wonderful responsive and balanced instruments. Worth a conversation to see if he can provide what you are seeking. He’s very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I love the Prairie Grass model he made for me - light with a lovely resonance that responds to both a light touch or heavy attack.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm looking for an ultra responsive, light built guitar, tons of sustain, clarity and piano like deep but tight bass. Leaning more towards a modern sound than traditional/vintage.
You've just described the guitar Mark Hatcher built me. Check out his work here in the Custom Shop. He is in your budget as well
Old 11-06-2020, 06:59 PM

An Isaac jang guitar may get in the 4 figure range if you keep the options down and go wth one of the dealers'build slots as I believe he hs closed his build list.

Another name that may fit the bill for your description are Michael bashkin.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Sounds like you need an Edwinson, by Steve Sheriff, or a Two Hands, by his shop mate, Joel Teel. Either should be able to build what you like for under five figures. Modern, piano-like sound, and looks as well, if you like that.

One of my favorite Luthiers, Steve Kinnaird, may be too traditional sounding for your tastes, usually, but he aims to create what you prefer, and the price point is excellent for the quality you get. Check this one out and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3qx...ature=emb_logo
Old 11-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Another name that may fit the bill for your description are Michael bashkin.
+1 (though his base is $9K now)
Old 11-06-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm . . . responsive and light I know, but deep, tight bass is tougher. Most of my favorite builders do the vintage thing, and deep bass is not usually on the menu. Leo Buendia is the one that I've found can get deep bass without sacrificing responsiveness. Not that light, though.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I've been toying around with the idea of having a guitar for fingerstyle commissioned for a while now. I'm looking for an ultra responsive, light built guitar, tons of sustain, clarity and piano like deep but tight bass. Leaning more towards a modern sound than traditional/vintage. Preferably in the USA, as I've heard some horror stories with duties and customs when shipping guitars, although I might consider overseas if the circumstances warranted it.

One caveat - it needs to stay in the 4 figure range. As fun as it would be to have a Somogyi or the like, those guys are out of my league unfortunately.
Exciting position to be in. There are many dozens of builders you should consider.

What guitars do you play now and prefer?
What is the favorite guitar you have ever played ?

I recommend that when the pandemic passes, hopefully in the next year, that you attend some of the luthier shows like Harrisburg or No. California or Woodstock shows and play as many as you can. No one else can suggest for you the guitar which will make u smile every time you play it.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post

What guitars do you play now and prefer?
What is the favorite guitar you have ever played ?

hans
Interesting question Hans. I have a Lowden O25c from 1999 that I really like the sound of. It's cedar over rosewood. It's very responsive and articulate. I'd prefer a slightly smaller body though and the neck doesn't work for me. Too flat, skinny and D shaped. I also have a Huss and Dalton TOM-R. Sitka/rosewood. Neck and string spacing are great, and it's very responsive, but it's too scooped - not enough meat in the mids.

1st world problems, I know. Both are such great guitars and I'm lucky to own them. Honestly, if the Lowden had a neck I could along with, I'd probably be happy with that. I've just come to the conclusion that no off the shelf guitar is going to give me what I'm after.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm also a little curious about big and tight. It's hard to have both. Most of my guitars have a tight, crisp bass. A few have big bass. I haven't played any that I can think of that had both. Usually when it's big, it's also a bit diffuse.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

In that price range: Check out John Kinnaird. Also have heard good things about John Osthoff. In the used market you could get a Schwartz under $10k, amazing but not light.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting question Hans. I have a Lowden O25c from 1999 that I really like the sound of. It's cedar over rosewood. It's very responsive and articulate. I'd prefer a slightly smaller body though and the neck doesn't work for me. Too flat, skinny and D shaped. I also have a Huss and Dalton TOM-R. Sitka/rosewood. Neck and string spacing are great, and it's very responsive, but it's too scooped - not enough meat in the mids.

1st world problems, I know. Both are such great guitars and I'm lucky to own them. Honestly, if the Lowden had a neck I could along with, I'd probably be happy with that. I've just come to the conclusion that no off the shelf guitar is going to give me what I'm after.
Both Jang and bashkin should give you what you are looking for - the best of contemporary and traditional tone, responsiveness and aesthetic and ergonomic design. However I just recalled that I have read that bashkin has moved in recent years to a more fundamental and focused tone with less overtones and more separation in the notes. If you like overtones without sacrificing fundamental power and Clarity then Isaac Jang guitars should be the cats meow. My Isaac Jang OM is the only full size guitar that I currently own and I have owned guitsrs made by some of the most celebrated luthiers. Their sheer cost made them unable to be kept by me in the end but the Jang has proven to be a worthy substitute at a much more real world price for ne.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

A Wilborn Nautilus will run you close to the 5 figure mark, and if you choose to upgrade your woods it will definitely breach 10k, but it has everything you are looking for. Go check out his YouTube channel. His demos should give you a good understanding of the sheer potential of his Nautilus guitars.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

We’ll probably all tell you our favourites, and for the record mine is Mike Baranik in the price range you mention. Wonderful bass response, magnificent guitars and a great person to have a build with (or just to have a beer with ).

But what I really recommend is that when Dream Guitars opens for visits you plan a day trip to Asheville NC (3-4 hours each way from Atlanta?) and try some of the guitars that Paul has. You may find what you want as a used guitar and at the very least you will get first hand experience of the guitars we are mentioning. I had a day there some years ago. It was a great experience.

If you are up for a longer drive, visit Robin at Guitar Gallery in Nashville. Again, an amazing range of fine, single luthier guitars in an environment that is well suited to side by side comparisons and gaining knowledge.

In both cases, I recommend you do some homework before you visit. Look at what they have on their websites and develop a short list of what you think you’ll want to play. Then you can talk with Paul or Robin as you play and expand the list of possible guitars to consider. And you could take one of your guitars along as a reference point too.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
We’ll probably all tell you our favourites, and for the record mine is Mike Baranik in the price range you mention. Wonderful bass response, magnificent guitars and a great person to have a build with (or just to have a beer with ).

But what I really recommend is that when Dream Guitars opens for visits you plan a day trip to Asheville NC (3-4 hours each way from Atlanta?) and try some of the guitars that Paul has. You may find what you want as a used guitar and at the very least you will get first hand experience of the guitars we are mentioning. I had a day there some years ago. It was a great experience.

If you are up for a longer drive, visit Robin at Guitar Gallery in Nashville. Again, an amazing range of fine, single luthier guitars in an environment that is well suited to side by side comparisons and gaining knowledge.

In both cases, I recommend you do some homework before you visit. Look at what they have on their websites and develop a short list of what you think you’ll want to play. Then you can talk with Paul or Robin as you play and expand the list of possible guitars to consider. And you could take one of your guitars along as a reference point too.
Trust this Aussie's guidance. He speaks the truth. He's also a great fellow to have a beer with, but a drive to meet him is going to be long . . . and amphibious. DG will give you a FANTASTIC idea of a great variety of builders out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop