The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I like the pop of color with the blood-wood against the bog oak...classy!
Thanks Treenewt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
How can it be that to me that model at the same time looks vintage and brandnew..
Old woods, authentic design... handcrafted... what a cool combination
... and if online sound is anything to go by, at least in direct comparison file to file
the woodsman sounds awesome...
Thanks Lonzo, I will be getting some audio up on this guitar. I'll be using new eqipment to do that and hope to have some truly representative recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Charlie sounds great and so do the lovely instruments! I too enjoyed hearing some vocals. Most non guitarists will gravitate to the vocals. The guitars are the delivery system for the songs. Duh...

Anyway the videos are a nice advertisement for your BOSS work.

Stay well and have fun

Paul
Thanks Paul, I mostly listen to Charlie sampling my guitars. It's great to hear a song! I've heard little bits and pieces of this song which showed up in our recorded samples.

I got the strings on the Woodsman. I selected out some mammoth tusk to make the nut and saddle. It seemed appropriate with with 5000+yr old Bog Oak I used for the trim, fretboard and bridge.

Here it is with strings:

Well I guess this puts me at the 300 mark for posts so I will be starting a Studio #2 thread shortly.

Thanks everyone for following along!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks ukejon, I went with the ST40s because I too don’t have an ideal studio to record in. I was concerned about the noise level of their microphones also however the output of the microphones is at such a high level I find I loose any self noise at the volume its played at (if that makes sense).
In any case, you will be able to judge for yourself when you hear the recordings I am planning to put together.
I was not looking for a microphone that sounds good, I was searching for a microphone that gives me an accurate representation of the guitar I am recording.

I should say this isn’t an advertisement for Earthworks microphones. I bought these mics after a lot of research and got what I was looking for. The people at Earthworks have since taken an real interest in my guitars and recording goals and are giving me a lot of great advice on how to accomplish these plans.

Mark
That is so cool that they are helping out. Recording is an insanely inexact science at times but you've done your research well. Plus, they are such very beautiful looking mics!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
That is so cool that they are helping out. Recording is an insanely inexact science at times but you've done your research well. Plus, they are such very beautiful looking mics!
Thanks Ukejon, Yeah, there is a lot to learn when it comes to recording. I got a book: The Master Handbook of Acoustics vol 6. It was recommended by an acoustic engineer who’s in our Luther guild. He said It’s on the book shelf of most professional studios. Well, I plopped that’s big ol’ book down and thought, “Gee, here’s 500 pages of stuff I don’t know much about!”

The thing I like about digging into all of this is there seems to be a more accurate approach to managing sound than there is here in the wild, wild, West of steel string guitars. There are more standard accepted and used terms. A lot of this has application in my building and voicing. It’s always good to look at my building from different perspectives.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Wonderful Hatcher thread once again with beautiful work, but Mark will need to start a new one as we have reached the 300 post limit that our software can handle without a fight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop