The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Is this guitar too lightly braced? Link to pic

This is a steel-string guitar made by a local luthier. I am unsure if he is completely finished bracing or not, but for the sake of the thread, let's say that he is finished bracing the top.

Do you think that this guitar is too lightly braced?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM

It's impossible to tell with a picture. Stiffness if what matters. The bridge plate looks huge, so I suppose it could use less bracing.

I didn't realize you were in or near the Carolinas.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Well - there is definitely some unique bracing design going on here and it appears that Gray has a reasoning behind his unique design

1) The wide finger brace on the bass side (when flipped) is something I've not seen before.

2) Single tone bar below the x-brace leaves a large open area under it. But on Gray's web site he says he does this to "load the top"

3) The extra "bump out" on the bridge plate also has me wondering. I did go to the builder's web site and it appears that this is a thought-out design

Is it over braced? I wouldn't know unless I picked up the top - flexed it and tapped on it. (and then I probably wouldn't know too much - LOL)

I've only built 6 guitars - and it appears that Gray has built MANY MANY more than I have. My comments would only serve to show more of my ignorance I guess.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM

His guitars are AMAZING! I would love to own one one day. I'm just thinking long-term wear and tear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop