The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2021, 11:42 AM

Default My action is getting higher, is there a quick fix?

It’s been a few years since I purchased my Martin OM-28, and recently I have noticed the action seems to be creeping a bit higher. It has always had proper humidification. Which way should I adjust the truss rod? Or is it more than that? I don’t have a trained eye for this, but here are a few pics if it helps.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:45 AM

Good question I was about to ask the same. Also, which direction to turn truss rod? Do we adjust rod with strings under tension or slackened strings?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:47 AM

It depends upon what the problem is, what the appropriate fix is. Not all problems are fixed with a truss rod wrench.

The first things to check, in my opinion, is that the guitar isn't over-humidified, that the bridge isn't lifting/separating from the top and that the top, itself doesn't have excessive bulging between the bridge and the butt of the guitar. If those are fine, then, onto setup issues:

https://www.charlestauber.com/luthie...1-Sept2018.pdf
Old 02-22-2021, 01:19 PM

It's important to understand that the truss rod has one job and one job only and that is to set the desired relief in the neck. It is not used to set the action of the guitar or to adjust the neck angle. Having said that, adjusting the truss rod to fix too much or too little relief does often have an effect on the action particularly if your relief is not set properly. So check the relief first.

To do that hold the E-String at the first fret, or capo it, and also fret the 14th fret. Look for airspace under the 7th fret. There should be about enough to slide a thin pick under there. That's the forward bow of the neck or relief.

If it is more then that then turn the truss rod wrench to the right about 1/2 a turn and measure again. In setting the relief properly you will also, in this case, lower the action at the 12th fret. Sometimes that's all it takes if you are lucky but usually there is more to it.

If the relief is set up perfectly as is then you need to go forward with other setup options.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's important to understand that the truss rod has one job and one job only and that is to set the desired relief in the neck. It is not used to set the action of the guitar or to adjust the neck angle. Having said that, adjusting the truss rod to fix too much or too little relief does often have an effect on the action particularly if your relief is not set properly. So check the relief first.

To do that hold the E-String at the first fret, or capo it, and also fret the 14th fret. Look for airspace under the 7th fret. There should be about enough to slide a thin pick under there. That's the forward bow of the neck or relief.

If it is more then that then turn the truss rod wrench to the right about 1/2 a turn and measure again. In setting the relief properly you will also, in this case, lower the action at the 12th fret. Sometimes that's all it takes if you are lucky but usually there is more to it.

If the relief is set up perfectly as is then you need to go forward with other setup options.

Well here it is, 1st is capoed and I’m fretting the 14th. I can just slip the pick in there between fret and low e, and the .73 med pick touches both string and fret. The 7th fret is the one with the pick resting on top.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

If a thin guitar pick fits under the string, there is way too much relief--several times what is needed. Relief should be measured in 1000ths of an inch, and should be in the .004-.007" range.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:34 PM

This is a ruler laid on top between frets 2-14, you can see the space at its mid-section.

I’m stumped, look how high these strings are!!!

Old 02-22-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
If a thin guitar pick fits under the string, there is way too much relief--several times what is needed. Relief should be measured in 1000ths of an inch, and should be in the .004-.007" range.

Ok, which way do I turn the Allen wrench!?
Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 PM

2 or 3 layers of notebook paper should get you close. If I am seeing it right, it looks like you have about 2/3 of the fret height, or around 0.025", which is way too much.
Tighten the truss rod until it is in the range. Any further adjustment should be by lowering the saddle.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

If you have never adjusted your truss rod, please take your beautiful guitar to a tech or luthier you trust and have them do a full check out and show you what is causing the higher action and let them remedy it for you. DIY with no prior experience could result in damage to the guitar. Truss rod adjustments should be 1/8 to 1/4 turn max to correct any relief issue. Do NOT keep turning it until it's "right".
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

If you have established that relief is the problem, rather than over humidification, or a loose bridge, etc.

You want to tighten it to take up the extra relief. Righty tighty.

Start with a quarter turn. Check it again. Wait a while (like hours, not minutes), check it again.

Don't force it, don't just keep fiddling with it... be methodical. There are any number of good resources online to help you with this.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 PM

All good responses, thanks. But I’ll probably go with what sprintbob stated. There happens to be an official Martin repair shop near me. Taking it there first thing in the morning. Sure I know how to turn the head of a truss rod and even file the bottom if a saddle, but I still don’t know what I’m doing, per say...

If it wasn’t a $3k guitar I’d mess with it. But whenever I mess with something and I don’t know what I’m doing, I always wreck it! But I will start educating myself on this stuff, and maybe even get a small workshop in the basement to eventually do it myself.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I suggest that you start with charles Tauber's very helpful treatise on setups.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Mr. Tauber - I have read and referred to it many times in the last year or so as I got interested in doing some of my own guitar work. I have found it more thorough and useful than any other single article I have found on line or in books, but I am sure everything I've read or watched has helped somewhat.

Good luck with the luthier - we, too, are curious about the increased action.

Last edited by Mirosh; 02-22-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It depends upon what the problem is, what the appropriate fix is. Not all problems are fixed with a truss rod wrench.

The first things to check, in my opinion, is that the guitar isn't over-humidified, that the bridge isn't lifting/separating from the top and that the top, itself doesn't have excessive bulging between the bridge and the butt of the guitar. If those are fine, then, onto setup issues:

https://www.charlestauber.com/luthie...1-Sept2018.pdf
This- 100%.
Charles, thank you for your work on explaining the 4 steps in detail.
Click the link Charles sent and all the information you need is there.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
2 or 3 layers of notebook paper should get you close. If I am seeing it right, it looks like you have about 2/3 of the fret height, or around 0.025", which is way too much.
Tighten the truss rod until it is in the range. Any further adjustment should be by lowering the saddle.
+1.

Given the excessive relief, adjusting the relief to be in the proper range is likely all that needs to be done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair