The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2021, 06:55 AM

Default Good morning AGF. Any weather causing you issues today?

Good morning Everyone. Tea, coffee, bacon & eggs, donuts ... all are available here in this virtual sitting.

Plans for the week-end? Who is impacted by weather? I know many here have had a difficult week.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:42 AM

Things are finally thawing out here in Tyler TX. I can actually see the street in front of the house. We might even get out of the house today. My wife and I lived in Iowa for 4 years and saw some pretty cold weather there, but they had the equipment to move the snow out of the way. This seemed colder, but 25 have passed since Iowa.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Here in Oregon about an hour southeast of Portland we have been without electricity for 8 days....we had to evacuate for the second time in less than six months for fear of being smashed to smithereens by falling trees and branches...it was 3 days before the roads were cleared enough to get back and survey the damage.... ice storm took down so many trees and power lines that it will be at least another week before we get power...I’m hauling water for the livestock and keeping warm with a generator and a pellet stove in my yurt...strange days getting even stranger...

..ps...writing this from the warmth of my daughters house in Salem....
Old 02-20-2021, 04:27 PM

Breakfast was two eggs, sunny side up and two pieces of toast with a glass of milk. Our worst day for weather was Wednesday with over a foot of snow. Today was sunny.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 02-20-2021, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

We are sitting pretty here. We just got through two weeks of sub zero temps. It got up to twenty today. My only issue is a guitar cable that was supposed to arrive today and it is delayed. In the scope of what a lot of people are suffering through, I can wait.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-20-2021, 08:12 PM

There are only a few traces on snow left in Cow Town. By end of day tomorrow I suspect those traces will be gone. Got into the high 50’s today and full sun. Expecting 60+ tomorrow and full sun. We had a very mild winter until last Monday, then everything we to heck in a hand basket. Some folks in the Lone Star are still trying to recover, still without power and possibly water. It was an unprecedented weather event for us, even more so for South Texas. My thoughts are with my fellow Texans.

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 02-20-2021, 08:15 PM

Thawing out here in San Antonio, to the point that my wife agreed to brave the roads with me so we could (1) check out how well her office weathered the freeze (overall, fine...no damage evident) and (2) pick up a couple of prescriptions she was getting low on. That's the good news.

The bad news? It came earlier in the day. We thought we were super lucky that we never lost power this past week, just 2+ days without cable/internet/landline and water out only a few hours on Wednesday, but...When the temp topped 32 degrees late this morning, I went to turn off all the faucets left dripping around the property...and discovered a burst pipe in the quarters in our detached garage. Frantic hunt for the water shutoff valve, buried under landscaping mulch...the garage has a secondary line from the main...only to find that the valve is ancient and frozen by rust, not ice. So calls to plumbers (laugh track here...just TRY to find an available plumber) and to the local water service (when they replaced the meter several years back, we never got a t-bar to be able to shut off the main line ourselves...luckily the guy showed up in a little over an hour). While I waited for the water guy, shifting of boxes in harm's way (vast CD collection, odds & ends) ensued. Truly wet stuff located to concrete driveway, where there were dry spots with actual sun. Filling of buckets to flush toilets when the water is turned off. Etc. All pretty frantic, natch. Oh, and when the water guy came, I went out my front door and the door's top hinge lost its bolt...so now I need to have that fixed, too.

So we're sitting inside our house, no water until MAYBE tomorrow afternoon sometime, and making guesses as to how long and expensive a process it will be to get back to normal. But for all that, we're so conscious of how much better we have it than so many all around us. This past Christmas we upped our donation to the local food bank. I'm thinking we might add a few more bucks this spring. People ARE hurting.

Me, I've saved enough potable water to make a cup of pour-over Sumatran in the morning, so I'm good.

Dirk
Old 02-21-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Default drinking water?

Morning from near New Braunfels, Dirk.

It was warmer and beautiful yesterday, we still had tons of snow on the ground that has vanished this morning. Temps are supposed to be up around 65 today.

So far, we haven't found any broken pipes--the meter is not spinning with all the spigots off. We have been very fortunate this time.

But likewise, we are on a boil notice. We melted snow for days to flush, and no bathing for 6 days...looked and smelled like a grizzly bear I'm sure. We've run out of bottled water today, so we are boiling, but the water looks awful---we never drink tap even in good times due to the quality the local water company provides...

The biggest challenge out here, is finding bottled water right now. We went out 2 days ago, and there was none within 10 miles to be bought, and none yesterday in the stores. How are you fairing over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Thawing out here in San Antonio, to the point that my wife agreed to brave the roads with me so we could (1) check out how well her office weathered the freeze (overall, fine...no damage evident) and (2) pick up a couple of prescriptions she was getting low on. That's the good news.

The bad news? It came earlier in the day. We thought we were super lucky that we never lost power this past week, just 2+ days without cable/internet/landline and water out only a few hours on Wednesday, but...When the temp topped 32 degrees late this morning, I went to turn off all the faucets left dripping around the property...and discovered a burst pipe in the quarters in our detached garage. Frantic hunt for the water shutoff valve, buried under landscaping mulch...the garage has a secondary line from the main...only to find that the valve is ancient and frozen by rust, not ice. So calls to plumbers (laugh track here...just TRY to find an available plumber) and to the local water service (when they replaced the meter several years back, we never got a t-bar to be able to shut off the main line ourselves...luckily the guy showed up in a little over an hour). While I waited for the water guy, shifting of boxes in harm's way (vast CD collection, odds & ends) ensued. Truly wet stuff located to concrete driveway, where there were dry spots with actual sun. Filling of buckets to flush toilets when the water is turned off. Etc. All pretty frantic, natch. Oh, and when the water guy came, I went out my front door and the door's top hinge lost its bolt...so now I need to have that fixed, too.

So we're sitting inside our house, no water until MAYBE tomorrow afternoon sometime, and making guesses as to how long and expensive a process it will be to get back to normal. But for all that, we're so conscious of how much better we have it than so many all around us. This past Christmas we upped our donation to the local food bank. I'm thinking we might add a few more bucks this spring. People ARE hurting.

Me, I've saved enough potable water to make a cup of pour-over Sumatran in the morning, so I'm good.

Dirk
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Too darn cold for me, but nothing compared to the mess going on in TX. I feel for all of our TX members and hope the situation has improved in recent days.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Here in Oregon about an hour southeast of Portland we have been without electricity for 8 days....we had to evacuate for the second time in less than six months for fear of being smashed to smithereens by falling trees and branches...it was 3 days before the roads were cleared enough to get back and survey the damage.... ice storm took down so many trees and power lines that it will be at least another week before we get power...I’m hauling water for the livestock and keeping warm with a generator and a pellet stove in my yurt...strange days getting even stranger...

..ps...writing this from the warmth of my daughters house in Salem....
My client is in Salem and I'm on multiple conf calls with them daily and they got hammered with ice. Some of my coworkers/friends lost power and internet for a few days, others were fine except for fallen trees on their property. I miss commuting to Oregon for work, especially visiting places like Silver Falls.

Stay warm and safe!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Good morning Everyone. Tea, coffee, bacon & eggs, donuts ... all are available here in this virtual sitting.

Plans for the week-end? Who is impacted by weather? I know many here have had a difficult week.
Nothing major
High winds and flat light made snowblowing a bit tricky and slow

View from the Cab

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-22-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Big warming trend today here in western Iowa. 45 degrees today and holding for the coming week. Everyone is out in shirt sleeves.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-22-2021, 04:32 PM

Nope, at the homestead. Gone back to the normal drizzle, with some afternoon sunbreaks.

But...

The same storm that asked the Salem Ore area with ice dumped about 9 inches of snow on us about 9 days ago, We were sort of shut down for a few days here near the sound, then reopened as it melted. Normal. But the snow a little higher elevation had not melted. So now it has soared into the 50s and what with the rain, the snow is melting fast, so many areas are under a flood watch. All the mountain passes are closed due to avalanche danger from the wet sloppy snow.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 PM

70 degrees here...sorry.

Scott
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 AM

Another 3 inches or so of wet, sloppy snow in the Philadelphia suburbs yesterday. I’m running out of room to put it all. This winter has been a bear so far.

I’m doing my best to keep all the little birdies fed.

When all of this finally melts, the river is going to be crazy (I’m a rower and since Covid, we’ve been restricted to singles, so we keep a close eye on flow!).

Think Spring!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic