The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-21-2021, 07:13 PM

Default NBD - New Biscuit Day (Is that a thing?)

I've been thinking of replacing the biscuit on my single cone - it's the standard national one, but unfortunately I'd been a little over zealous in tweaking....still worked but in the back of my mind I thought about a replacement, and perhaps making my own.
Research online pretty much said maple is the only way to go -
Maple is a bit hard to get a hold of here (Australia) but the guy renovating downstairs had some left over slabs of Merbau (or Kwila) which is a little harder than maple and thought it might work. Short story is, in spite of my decidedly dodgy woodworking skills, it seems to work a treat!
Quite pleased with the sound although the action is a bit high, I'm sitting with it for a while as my over-zealous tweaking is what got me into trouble in the first place.

Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-21-2021, 07:28 PM
Guest 33123

Cool dude!
Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 PM

Good on ya! I've put off replacing the saddle on my baritone tricone, because it will require gluing extra maple on so I can compensate it, which is needed on the baritone.

And here you are going from plain wood stock to a shaped biscuit? I am feeling very wimpy...
Old 01-22-2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I've been thinking of replacing the biscuit on my single cone - it's the standard national one, but unfortunately I'd been a little over zealous in tweaking....still worked but in the back of my mind I thought about a replacement, and perhaps making my own.
Research online pretty much said maple is the only way to go -
Maple is a bit hard to get a hold of here (Australia) but the guy renovating downstairs had some left over slabs of Merbau (or Kwila) which is a little harder than maple and thought it might work. Short story is, in spite of my decidedly dodgy woodworking skills, it seems to work a treat!
Quite pleased with the sound although the action is a bit high, I'm sitting with it for a while as my over-zealous tweaking is what got me into trouble in the first place.

Nice ambition there!!!! One thing should help with your saddle sounding and working good is for you to take a small triangular file and notch behind each saddle slot on the side facing the tailpiece. That's how National does it, and that's what Don Young told me to do with mine, biscuit and spider...

Old 01-22-2021, 06:24 AM

Rockabilly69: thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments