The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-03-2020, 06:54 AM

Default Please tear this video apart! X20 vs Sable first draft.

Hi gang,

I'm working on a few X20-related videos this week. I started with this one figuring it would have the narrowest audience, to work out all the wrinkles in my technique.

If you're willing, I'd appreciate you sharing ANY and all critiques. They don't even have to be constructive, just anything that doesn't work for you, that you'd like more or less of, etc. I lose perspective big time once I'm deep into the project.

Last edited by byudzai; 12-04-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a CF user, but after watching your video, I'd say that the tortoiseshell spec frames go better with the Emerald.

Despite my antediluvian attitudes to traditional wooden guitars, they both sounded fine and remarkably similar.

Like it or not (and I don't) I recognise that your guitars are the future for acoustic guitars.

Thanks for the video.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I like it - found it pretty useful, much as the X30 & D28 video. The split screen thing was VERY effective, hard to imagine how you worked the timing out on all of that, but well done! Having had an X20 (earlier version) that I wasn't crazy about, and based on what I'd read about the Sable's sound characteristics, I sort of expected to prefer the Sable, but I didn't. On some sections, I thought they sounded equally good, on some I clearly preferred the X20.

One thing that wasn't at all apparent from the video, but that you touched on briefly at the end, was the volume of the two guitars. It's really tough to get that across in a video or a recording, because most mics and/or recording gear tends to equalize volume, but you did mention briefly that the X20 is a louder guitar. I've always found the offset soundhole that Emerald is using on it's current generation of instruments to make their guitars sound amazingly louder (and better) at the ear of the player, with much less of a difference if you're sitting a few feet in front of the guitar listening to someone else play. That will matter more or less to people playing in different contexts, but considering that most of us spend a good bit of time playing alone with no audience out front, it's worth considering. The difference is stark. I remember briefly having an older and newer X7 and to my wife, sitting several feet away from the guitar, they both sounded roughly equally loud. To me, the newer model with the offset soundhole sounded overwhelmingly louder and fuller. The way that soundhole projects sound both out and UP makes a huge difference. You mention it, but it might be worth a bit more emphasis, because if you haven't played both, it's hard to imagine how big a difference it makes...

-Ray
Old 12-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the videos, once again you've done a really good job!

The Sable is still my favorite overall tone wise.
I really like the body contours of the X20, but I must admit I looooove the feel of this Sable neck... if only McPherson could offer the same type of custom options as Emerald and make a deeper version of their soft V!

Last edited by Tøf; 12-03-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Your videos are always pretty good for the most part and this one is no different. I liked the split screen comparison. If I had one quick comment on something that jumped out at me it was the reverb present on your speaking voice. Unnecessary and distracting.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

A good honest review I think. I've owned both at the same time and really loved the tone of the Sable. Did I miss where you discussed which strings you used on them? I may be the only person on the planet that really don't like the Emerald sound hole pointing at my face. I love the look, but not the sound. And I agree the Sable neck feels best. Like you said, it's all personal and best to be checked out in person by anyone purchasing either. Great video ! Thanks for the effort.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:31 AM
Guest 928

Very nice review. I, too, really like the split screen comparison--one of the clearest I've seen/heard. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Nicely done! Most guitar reviewers should study your video for pointers. There was a LOT of extra planning and post production work that went into the split screen synched performances to A-B the two guitars side by side by trading a few bars on each. Impressive and useful approach.

I too was a bit put off by the reverb initially on the voice track, but could not tell if it was the room or an added effect. Reverb seemed to be less obvious later on. My take - FWIW and bearing in mind the vagaries of YT audio - is that the X20 was brighter and more projecting overall, while the Sable was woodier sounding, warmer and a bit quieter. Both tones are nice but different. This is why there are choices....
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 PM

That's really a brilliant way of doing it! Funny how different people hear such different things in the same video. I thought the X20 had a purer, less colored tone and the Sable noticeably brassy (in a bad honky way).

I assume this is with the same brand and gauge, fresh strings?

I had been wondering if I made a mistake getting an X20 instead of the Sable...glad to hear I did not
Old 12-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

You need to check out a Sable in person Melt in the Sun, nothing brassy about it, not even close, balanced, warm and woodie. I didn't think this video did a real good job of showing the true tone of the Sable, and probably not the X20 either, certainly not the fault of byundzai, just the way it goes. It certainly didn't sound anything like mine does. He hit the nail in the head when he said "Don't take the sound clips too seriously"
Old 12-03-2020, 12:44 PM

The split screen comparison was really good.
Nice small chunks of a song being alternated between the two instruments really allowed the differences to the heard.

Hands down the best method (split screen with alternating small portions of an ongoing song) I've ever seen to compare the tonal differences between two instruments. Very helpful.

ps. Tone wise, the sable fits my tonal preferences better than the emerald.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Your videos are always pretty good for the most part and this one is no different. I liked the split screen comparison. If I had one quick comment on something that jumped out at me it was the reverb present on your speaking voice. Unnecessary and distracting.
This is helpful! I was trying to match the room reverb I originally got with the RODE microphone sitting on the camera because it sounded so dry with the sound straight from the mic, but I'll either just go dry or dial it back another 50%.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
You need to check out a Sable in person Melt in the Sun, nothing brassy about it, not even close, balanced, warm and woodie. I didn't think this video did a real good job of showing the true tone of the Sable, and probably not the X20 either, certainly not the fault of byundzai, just the way it goes. It certainly didn't sound anything like mine does. He hit the nail in the head when he said "Don't take the sound clips too seriously"
It's so true! Even sitting at my workstation with my big studio monitors, adjusting the volume a little bit changed the tonal quality and my feelings about each guitar. Start introducing all the vagaries of computer speakers, background noise, room dynamics, it's basically hopeless.

But who wants a guitar review without the guy playing the guitars? Sigh.... lol.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:30 PM

Good video Alex. Nothing wrong with it at all from my POV and I really appreciate the pros/cons breakdown on both guitars.

I've not played an X20 but have played the Sable. The Sable is a really nice guitar and I was very impressed with it but for tone more than feel.

It's really hard to beat Emerald's progressive approach to ergonomics. They slay the competition there no question, and for that alone Alistair deserves much respect. I can't say anything else having not ever played an X20.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I think you did an excellent job, Alex. I especially liked the very balanced view of the physical aspects of the instruments, and, overall, the focus on comparison rather than competition.

The split screen comparison was particularly well done - one of the best examples of its type that I’ve ever seen or heard. Still, I find it virtually impossible to draw any conclusions about which I might prefer from such comparisons. There are simply too many variables. It also reinforced my view that I really don’t care what my guitars sound like to other people. I hardly ever play for anyone else, and what they sound like to *me*, the player, is the most important thing.

And, if I may, one tiny little production nitpick - when you’re talking to camera, the shadow of the microphone on your left cheek is really distracting

Overall, I’d give it a resounding Bravo!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber