The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Default Traction Cleats for Walking on Icy Roads

Does anyone have recommendations for slip on traction cleats to give better footing when walking on icy surfaces? Something like this that I can put on my walking shoes or boots: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Not looking for crampons for ascending glacial peaks, just something to use in my neighborhood to avoid pratfalls when the roads get icy. It seems that there are many varieties at many price points.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Yak Trax* are popular up here in the High Rockies. My wife has a set that she swears by, has had them for 3 years now. All her hiking buddies do too.

*Not sure if I spelled that exactly right, but it's close.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb33 View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for slip on traction cleats to give better footing when walking on icy surfaces? Something like this that I can put on my walking shoes or boots: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Not looking for crampons for ascending glacial peaks, just something to use in my neighborhood to avoid pratfalls when the roads get icy. It seems that there are many varieties at many price points.

Thanks,e
Dave
Those linked look like they will work however for overall slip on & off convenience my wife also prefers Yaktrax for walking the dogs in the spring and fall when freezing and thawing can make our hillside driveway icy at times

https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Tract..._id=3421064011

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-22-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:05 AM

Yak Trax were standard equipment in Alaska and worked great, even on glare ice. They worked better than any other cleats or systems that I tried. My wife had running shoes with sheet metal screws sticking out of the soles for traction, a popular option with runners. Yak Trax do not work well on polished concrete or ceramic floors and need to be removed indoors, but that is easy enough. I always kept a set tucked under my driver's seat in the car, so I could put them on easily before getting out.

The first snow of October in Anchorage was always accompanied by a rash of people with casts on their wrists or using crutches, from slip & fall accidents.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM

We have IceBug's here in Sweden, they are very good. I don't know if they are sold in the US though.

https://icebug.com
Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM

Another endorsement for YakTraks here. And yes, be careful indoors is you're still wearing them on hard surfaces.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2021, 03:38 PM

I have tried yaktrax and have worn out two sets in very short time. They lasted only a few hours of brisk walking. Maybe more if it's mainly compacted snow and you can avoid all pavement. The main thing to avoid is thin rubber that stretches around the soles of shoes as the friction can cut through that quickly. The wire on yak trax also wears quickly. This winter I am quite pleased with units from Costco. They are very thick rubber and a good fit for my size. They have little blue spikes that can be replaced and the material seems harder than steel.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:35 PM

While they're not as grippy as crampons/spikes, I really like my LL Bean boots that have the Vibram Arctic Grip soles.

I spent a few years working as a Zamboni operator, and I had to walk (and fall down) on wet ice all the time.

I quit falling down after getting the Arctic Grips......love those things.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Yak Trax were standard equipment in Alaska and worked great, even on glare ice. My wife had running shoes with sheet metal screws sticking out of the soles for traction, a popular option with runners.
Here is how to turn a running shoe into an ice/snow shoe:

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 02-22-2021, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I also use the Yak Trax for the rare times we are iced in here in Raleigh. We have a steep driveway.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 AM

When I lived in Portland, Oregon standard trunk gear was old spiked golf shoes for walking home during freezing rain.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Yet another recommendation for Yaktrax.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-27-2021, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

The yak tax from Amazon are junk.We bought 2 pairs over a year ago.The rubber parts break easily causing the springs to protrude.

I would recommend spending up to $100 for a pair recommended for serious ice climbing etc...
Old 02-27-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had the problems with YakTrax noted above and so join the others recommending them. YMMV...literally!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic