The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-26-2021, 07:00 AM

Default Benedetto A6 VS B6

Forgive me, I'm new in Archtop guitar. I just got a handmade archtop guitar from my friend and he suggest me to choose between these two. Except from able to adjust individual pot of A6 to balance the strings sound, are there any other difference between these two pickup? Thank you.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 02-20-2021, 06:26 AM

Default Benedetto

Trade your guitar for a Benedetto guitar, the pickup will help but, it is only part of the Benedetto experience. The pros endorse Benedetto because they are the highest standard in archtop guitar. Benedetto guitars will let you focus on musicianship rather than the problems with the lower standard guitars. Want to sound like a pro, play what they play and unlock your talent.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:16 PM

I'm surprised to hear that professionals don't play Gibson L-5s and es175s, or Ibanez GBs, or Buscarinos, or Andersen's, or vintage Epiphones ..... Your posts remind me of the time, many years ago, when I was starting to play trumpet seriously and was told by other young players that the only horn for a serious player was a Bach Strad. That might have been the horn of choice among many an American orchestra, but it wasn't the only choice. Not was it the first choice for most jazz musicians. Likewise, Benedetto makes fine guitars but there's a whole world of choices out there, including lesser known and highly skilled solo luthiers.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM

Here is a discussion with some experienced people about the A6 and the B6. Both are made by Seymour Duncan, both are humbuckers with two coils in series (usually), both are quite high resistance (11K and 12K ohms is pretty high) which is used to get a favourable resonant frequency, apparently. People tend to describe the A6 as a really good humbucker, but I liked the quote about the B6 as being "alien and other-worldly"...

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guit...ckups-12k.html

There is a link inside the link to a post where the author deconstructs a B6 and reveals all about it's construction. Unlike many humbuckers it doesn't have individual pole pieces, but has very substantial rails. It's not ordinary at all. https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ebuild?t=37963

Last edited by MC5C; 02-22-2021 at 02:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops