The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Any recommendations for clothing stores in Nogales, Mexico?

Howdy. In a couple of weeks I'm going to fly down to Arizona to visit a friend, and we plan to nip across the border into Nogales, Mexico for the better part of a day. The summers are getting hotter and hotter in Alaska these days - it got over 90˚ Fahrenheit in Anchorage for the first time in recorded history this past July - and I'd like to get myself a couple of nice guayabera shirts so I can more easily bear the increasingly sweltering summer temperatures in the (formerly) Great White North.

Do any of you know any reputable clothing stores in Nogales that will have high quality guayaberas? I would prefer either 100% linen, a linen and cotton blend, or 100% cotton.

¡El gringo en la guayabera!

I know I can buy these shirts online and be reasonably assured of getting good quality garments, but obviously don't know any stores in Nogales, or I wouldn't be asking!

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 PM

Probably be better if you wear something that allows you to blend in.

Algo como eso:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/9c...cf654b9695.jpg
Old 11-04-2019, 12:32 AM

Gosh, Frank, what a great idea! Wearing a black sombrero embroidered with silver will definitely help me disappear into the crowd in Mexico, even though my skin and hair color are virtually identical to the blond guy in the photo that I posted! Everyone will think I’m a local and I’m only that pale because I don’t get out much...

whm
Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Probably be better if you wear something that allows you to blend in.

Algo como eso:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/9c...cf654b9695.jpg
or combine some black hair dye with your guitar skills and go with this ...

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 AM

You guys are so helpful......

whm
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Gosh, Frank, what a great idea! Wearing a black sombrero embroidered with silver will definitely help me disappear into the crowd in Mexico, even though my skin and hair color are virtually identical to the blond guy in the photo that I posted! Everyone will think I’m a local and I’m only that pale because I don’t get out much...

whm
Wade "El Jefe" Hampton

If you think you'll blend into the crowd in Mexico in that outfit, just wait until you get back to Alaska.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Fifty years ago I bought a fringed leather jacket and leather vest in Nogales. The price tag on the jacket read $100 American. After trying on the jacket (which fit perfectly), I told the shop owner that I really liked it, but as a poor college student I didn't have that kind of money, so I walked out of the store, not realizing that in Nogales price tags are merely the starting point for a good bargaining/price haggling session.

Less than half a minute later, as I was ambling down the sidewalk window shopping, I heard someone come running up behind me. It was the shop owner. He was smiling, speaking very fast, and taking me by the arm practically dragged me back to his shop. He took me to the checkout counter, and there was the jacket I had tried on. He asked how much money I had, so I took out my wallet which contained one twenty dollar bill and a ten. He then told me that he would take $20 for the jacket! I was astounded! Of course, I agreed, but before I could pay him he dragged me over to the leather goods section and showed me a beautiful fringed leather ladies vest for $50. He asked if I had a girlfriend, to which I replied that I did. He asked if I thought she would like the vest. I told him that she would love it. He said he'd take $10 for the vest. Naturally, I bought the vest and the jacket for a total of $30.

Now, that $30 in 1972 is worth about $175 today, but when I got back to the states and compared the items I had purchased to what stores in the U.S. were charging for comparable hand made leather clothing I couldn't have gotten those items for less than $200.

When in Nogales, by all means don't forget to haggle!! BTW- my girlfriend (now my wife) and I still have the jacket and the vest although they both seem to have somehow gotten smaller over the years.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
or combine some black hair dye with your guitar skills and go with this ...

I don't know about the outfit but the guitar looks pretty cool .

Back to the OP I know nothing about Nogales but stateside for pretty good deals on all types of clothing (mostly outdoor) any time of year
I have purchased numerous items over the years

https://www.sierra.com/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic