The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Nylon strings don't stay in tune as much as steel strings?

Hi folks, I recently got a classical guitar (Spanish Alvaro 30) to work on my finger picking techniques.

However, it seems the nylon strings don't like to stay in tune for more than 3 minutes, and I'm tired of tuning again and again.

I put on new D'Addario standard nylon strings (and followed youtube vids on how to put on nylon strings). The bone saddle is new. The tuners look flimsy but turn well. There is a crack between headstock and neck, which I glued back and had it clamped for 72 hours and the wound looks completely healed.

It's all laminate and very sturdily built. It's a full size classical guitar.

So my question is, do nylon strings stay in tune much less than regular steel strings?

Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM

It usually takes about a week or so for new nylon strings to settle in (for my guitars). Nylon is more pliable than "steel", so a nylon string guitar will take more tweaking to stay in tune. The good news is you won't have to change your strings nearly as often.....
Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 PM

To echo what was said, it takes serveral days for nylon strings to settle in. I've had my new strings on for a couple of weeks and they are staying in tune well even setting in the case.

It just takes a little time.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Me

One thing to try is to pre-stretch the stings. Tune each string, one at a time, a whole step above pitch and then bring it back down to pitch. This is good to do on nylon and steel strings.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Even after the strings have settled, you may need to retune if the temperature or humidity changes. That's the nature of nylon strings.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:09 PM

If you're going to stretch the strings, do it the way Steve says. I've seen people stretch them by grabbing and pulling, which necks them down unevenly and can cause intonation problems.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks guys, so that's the trick with tuning nylon strings. I'll start turning one step above then turning it down to normal tuning on steel strings as well.

One thing amazes me is how much volume the classical guitar produces when picked with fingers (flesh). My steel strings didn't do this for me.

And fingerstyle is so addictive
Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM

everything said above and this, which you probably know...tune down below concert and come up to the pitch with each string. the slight slop in the gears of the tuners will allow the strings to go flat right after they are on pitch. Important on steel also but even more on nylon. jb
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM

Yep. It's just the nature of the beast.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM

What I do is sharp the base strings slightly and the treble a little more til they wear in. About the time they hold tune one will break and you start all over. I think that the medium tension D'Addarrio Pro-Arte seems to hold tune sooner and longer than most others.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack Amatuer View Post
What I do is sharp the base strings slightly and the treble a little more til they wear in. About the time they hold tune one will break and you start all over. I think that the medium tension D'Addarrio Pro-Arte seems to hold tune sooner and longer than most others.
EJ-45 D'Addarrio...tough to beat!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Once my strings are played in after a week or so they tend to stay in tune a lot more than my steel string guitars (and they don't go out of tune much). The good thing with nylon strings is they last for ages but can take a while to break in.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM

+1 on all the good advice you already got...just a matter of time to let those bad boys S T R E T C H out. You finger tips appreciate it!

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

they typically dont stay in tune as long -watch just about any classical guitarist in concert -they fine tune just about after every song -they are finicky .Sometimes better tuning machines make a difference because their smoother and have finer gears and give you more precision in your tuning .On my Lucida, i noticed a big difference when i put on a set of Schallers .but reguardless their what they are -Peace
Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
Once my strings are played in after a week or so they tend to stay in tune a lot more than my steel string guitars (and they don't go out of tune much). The good thing with nylon strings is they last for ages but can take a while to break in.
they last a long time but a new set, once they have settled down, sound much brighter...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical