The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Savarez strings

Hey guys, I just got two packs of 500 AJ Corum strings and I have to say I can't stand them. The first day I had an A string break before I played the guitar and a few days later, tonight, I had the D string break while it's in the case. These were expensive strings, more expensive than the D'addario's I usually buy that have never broken on me. Has anyone had a similar experience as me? I just want to see if I'm not the only one. Maybe it's just as bad set but I don't have enough money for bad sets of strings. I'm really kind of annoyed about this and I'm thinking I won't get them again.

Edit:
I forgot to write that the strings didn't just break but they unravelled. It was as if they weren't wound right or something.

Thanks for listening to my rant

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff D; 05-18-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Hi Jeff,

I've been playing all variety of Savarez sets for many years, and can't remember having that kind of breakage problem. I am using 500 ARJ Corum Alliance and 540 J Alliance HT right now and they have been fine.

I've had breakage problems years ago and traced it a sharp nut edge that was digging into the string every time I tightened. Another time I had a sharp edge at the hole of one of the rollers.

Overall, I've had great luck with Savarez and they sound and play the best for me on my guitar.

Maybe a bad set? Look for sharp edges, too.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks I definitely will check for sharp edges. I've only had one string break on me since I was a beginner learning to string guitars and that was an electric string I over bent.haha I guess that's why I'm so perplexed. I'll go check it out and see if anything is weird.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM

I've haven't used Savarez Corum strings, but I have used the normal tension Alliances - the ones in the red packet - and hard tension - the ones in the blue packet. I absolutely loved both.

The thing for me is that I recently bought an NS72ce and I think even the hard tension Alliances will not have enough tension for it so I'll prbably stick with D'Addario Pro Arte Extra Hards. But given an equal playing field I'd go for Savarez.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM

I've been using Savarez pretty regularly since 1972, when they just had the traditional White, Red and Yellow Cards. Have tried lots of others on 4 different classicals and am pretty satisfied with the Savarez 540 Alliance these days. Haven't noticed much quality control issues through all that time through all their set varieties.

I've tried Hannabach, Luthier, GHS, Aranjuez, Augustine, D'Addario, La Bella and Thomastik-Infeld at some time or another. They all worked for me except the Thomastik-Infeld. I had that set on for 10 minutes and couldn't stand it. Off they came. But what works best are Savarez, for me.

I hope you find an easy fix, Jeff.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I love the tone but if they keep breaking on my instrument then I may have to go back to D'addario which don't sound as good but they are cheaper and are local. Unfortunately there aren't many dealers around me that even sell classical strings. Hopefully the next set lasts. Thanks guys, I'm going to check the guitar tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM

I haven't had any breakage problems, except on the wound G of the 520 F set. The two I've tried broke after a week or two, but it's just that the nut slot isn't quite right for it compared to the usual G. I'm going to try making a new nut and saddle for it next time I order some sets.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:44 PM

I was going to wait for tomorrow to assess any damage and I can't find anything wrong with the nut or anything else. One thing that seemed strange was all of the strings kept tune normally except for the D string which would always go flat. My other string would go flat a tiny but since I just restrung the guitar I know it's usual but this string would always go from D to C if left in the case and while I was playing a song it would go down to a C#. I found it broke in between the nut and the post. The core exploded and the wrap unwound about 5 inches. I just think this is weird. I'll just hope it's just this set or something. I sent info to the company and I'll see if they email me back. Thanks guys for all the help

Jeff
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 AM

I never had breakage problem with Savarez and have used almost everything they produce. What I've had was a tunnig problem with one 3rd string on a Corum/New Cristal set.
I love the New Cristal trebles on my spruce top classical with even the Corum or the classic basses.
The thing with Savarez I really don't like is their Crystal Soliste set. The basses are great, but the trebles are way too soft and unbalanced. They don't match, IMO.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM

How do Savarez Alliance Hard Tension compare with D'Addario Pro Arte Extra Hards? I could experiment, but the Savarez are a bit too pricey for that!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM

The Alliance Hard Tension are among the most tense strings I have used. I think they will be kind of equal to the Pro Arte Extra hards in tension, but being thiner.

Hannabachs Extra Hard may be the most tense I tryed so far. The 815's (red pack) are great strings, the 728's sounded kinda dull on my guitars. But lots of people like them too for the mellower sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical