The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Default thoughts on pickups

I'm getting ready to put a pickup in my Applegate and am leaning strongly towards a K&K. I want to have dual source in the guitar (with an external preamp).

K&K has two choices, Pure Classic with the UST or Pure Classic with an internal mic. I talked to Brian Applegate, he recommended the K&Ks so that is good. He also said he leaned towards using the Pure Classical with the UST. I talked to K&K and there recommendations were to use the UST in a band setting, use the mic in a solo setting.

My expectations is I would not be using this in a band setting (so maybe the mic would be a better choice) but Brian seems to think the UST can be blended in to give the guitar more 'shimmer'. Probably either way would be a great choice.

Any thoughts or advice?

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Depends on how loud the band is, I guess, and the UST & blend w/mic is the go-to choice in many situations, but the UST doesn't ever make me think acoustic.

As far as mic solutions, the K&K Meridian is intriguing. Like the DPA gear, but approachable for us fiscally-bound mortals.

http://kksound.com/meridian.html
Old 05-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackabones View Post
Depends on how loud the band is, I guess, and the UST & blend w/mic is the go-to choice in many situations, but the UST doesn't ever make me think acoustic.

As far as mic solutions, the K&K Meridian is intriguing. Like the DPA gear, but approachable for us fiscally-bound mortals.

http://kksound.com/meridian.html
The mic in the K&K Trinity solution is an internal mic, not the new meridian.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM

I've used internal mics and they can work in a blending situation, too ... better than UST alone, that's for sure. Ultimately, I decided I just didn't like the sound of the internal mic w/UST. Neither one quite did it for me no matter how much dialing/EQing/blending/etc I did. YMMV.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 AM

Using an internal microphone as the second source rather than an under-saddle pickup would result in a more natural sounding tone. On the other hand, a UST as a second source would be more feedback resistant.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 05-10-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM

I'm knocking around some of the same considerations as Jayhawk. I play mostly guitar/cello duets--never tremendously loud. I've been going back and forth between the idea of a multi-source p'up/mic system (like what my wife uses on her 'cello) and getting a DTAR or K&K UST and running it through an Aura Spectrum DI.

My speculation is that the UST/Aura system would possibly be less "fussy" (plug & play) than a multi-source which perhaps would need to be "tweeked" at every venue.

Does anyone have experience going with these two different scenarios? Any comments on the sound quality comparison between the two?

Thanks!

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical