The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM

Default Did I get a deal ?

This is my first guitar and it's something I always wanted to try. I was looking through Craigslist and found a like new Yamaha Pacifica 112J and Peavy 258 EFX for $150,the guy bought it and never really got into it. He through in two cords , a case , and strap,the thing is spotless. Now I know nothing about guitars but did do some research and found that the Yamaha 112j has a reputation as a solid beginners to intermediate guitar. Should I take some lessons,try to learn off the internet or hookup with some guys that can show me the ropes ?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM

Sounds like a good deal. The key thing for a 2nd hand guitar in that price range is the amount of fret wear. In the worst case, it could cost more than the instrument is worth to fix - but if it hasn't been played much you'll be OK.

Is this your first musical instrument? There is some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that learning a motor skill takes time and a lot of practice. There's no getting around that but the good news is that anyone can do it. You just have to keep at it, even when you feel like you're not getting anywhere. Progress comes in fits and starts so you might seem to hit a glass ceiling for a couple of months at a time when you feel like you're not improving but then suddenly you'll pick the guitar up one day and find you can play something that used to defeat you. Keep practicing a few hours every day and you will get there. I promise.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 AM

I think you did well. The entry level Yamaha electrics are nice Strat style guitars and with the bridge humbucker pickup, more versatile than a similar Squier Strat at that price point.
The Peavey amp will be fun for you since it has the built-in effects and different amp simulations.

When you become a serious shredder, you'll look back on how it started with a Craigslist purchase!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:32 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar! It sounds like you found quite the deal.

In my experience there's nothing quite like learning guitar in-person, whether that's jamming with friends or taking formal lessons. Use the online material available to augment what you learn in person.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, the equipment truly looks like new. I did have a FG JR. laying around and have been doing the chromatic scale with bare fingers to build dexterity but decided to go with an electric.Don't know if it means anything but I didn't know how to type until I started going on forums,so I went online to EZ type and now I'm typing very well. Yeah,some basic lessons and practice,practice, practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars