The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-21-2015, 02:55 PM

Default fender strat with iOS connectivity

Hi guys

First post in the electric section of the forum. I'm trying to figure out a way to play guitar on a team bus/hotel room. I'm thinking this guitar plugged in to an iPhone then headphones plugged into that or straight headphones into the guitar is my best bet for simplicity. I'm basically trying to get an acoustic-ish sound into headphones but then again maybe i'll really take to electric and then I can buy a decent amp. Thoughts? What's the consensus on this guitar? Decent starter electric, will I need to upgrade if I end up liking it? Honestly I always thought i'd get a les paul if I was to get an electric but this just seems so much simpler for what I want to do.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Yamaha SLG200S.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM

So you a strat already or are you considering a new one?
If you are looking for accessories for the practice purpose I will recommend iRig or anything similar + JamUp app. There is a free version with expansion packs. I got the acoustic pack which includes preamp, modelling amp (for acoustics), acoustic simulator amp (for electrics), and a reverb.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
So you a strat already or are you considering a new one?
If you are looking for accessories for the practice purpose I will recommend iRig or anything similar + JamUp app. There is a free version with expansion packs. I got the acoustic pack which includes preamp, modelling amp (for acoustics), acoustic simulator amp (for electrics), and a reverb.
No i don't have an electric. I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy for my first one given the constraints of hotel rooms and buses. The Yamaha fits those criteria's but the look and sound aren't what I'm looking for. Which is why I was asking about the fender strat that you can plug headphones directly in
Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
No i don't have an electric. I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy for my first one given the constraints of hotel rooms and buses. The Yamaha fits those criteria's but the look and sound aren't what I'm looking for. Which is why I was asking about the fender strat that you can plug headphones directly in
I suggest you show us what you're talking about, or give us a link or something, because I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're asking. I know of no Strat that you can "plug headphones directly in" or that has IOS connectivity built in. I'd like to help but am struggling a bit...you can get lots of different gadgets that you can put between most any guitar and a set of headphones...you don't need a special guitar. Maybe I'm missing your point.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 PM

I see what you mean now. Actually I don't know there is such a model before your post. I don't you have any problem with the functions, and for me, the guitar itself sounds decent
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I suggest you show us what you're talking about, or give us a link or something, because I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're asking. I know of no Strat that you can "plug headphones directly in" or that has IOS connectivity built in. I'd like to help but am struggling a bit...you can get lots of different gadgets that you can put between most any guitar and a set of headphones...you don't need a special guitar. Maybe I'm missing your point.
Here is a link to the guitar i'm talking about. I guess some of my questions are: Has anyone heard it through headphones if so is it decent sound? Has anyone played it through a computer, if so is it better than the headphones and how does it compare to real electric guitar? And finally is this a decent starter guitar for electric (take away the iOS interface) or am I gonna want to upgrade in 6 months?

https://youtu.be/UPeT0ircz8I
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Yamaha SLG200S.

thank you for taking the time to post this. Although i don't think it's for me i appreciate the help
Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
Here is a link to the guitar i'm talking about. I guess some of my questions are: Has anyone heard it through headphones if so is it decent sound? Has anyone played it through a computer, if so is it better than the headphones and how does it compare to real electric guitar? And finally is this a decent starter guitar for electric (take away the iOS interface) or am I gonna want to upgrade in 6 months?

https://youtu.be/UPeT0ircz8I
Ha! Shows how behind the curve I am. I Read up on it a bit, it's basically a Mexican Strat with the IOS connectivity added in. Yes, it is a fine starter guitar. Whether you will soon or ever outgrow it is hard to say, that varies too much from one person to the other, but the stuff from the Fender operation in Mexico has gotten better all the time. It certainly looks like it would do what you want.

Note that it may not yet be in stock when you order it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 PM

Electric guitar tone depends on the amp and speaker/cab just as much as the guitar. Therefore a pocket pod might be a better option with its range of emulated sounds. As far as I can tell, the ios strat just gives you a DI signal on USB and that's that. Very few recordings are done DI even for clean tones.

You can also plug any guitar into the pod.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Electric guitar tone depends on the amp and speaker/cab just as much as the guitar. Therefore a pocket pod might be a better option with its range of emulated sounds. As far as I can tell, the ios strat just gives you a DI signal on USB and that's that. Very few recordings are done DI even for clean tones.

You can also plug any guitar into the pod.
Yeah, I think he mentioned going into his iPhone, and I assumed he would be using an app that would basically do what we used to do with a pocket POD, Korg PX 4D, etc. I'm pretty sure such apps are out there.

Maybe the OP will chime in. If I'm wrong about the iPhone app business, then I agree with what you said.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Yeah, I think he mentioned going into his iPhone, and I assumed he would be using an app that would basically do what we used to do with a pocket POD, Korg PX 4D, etc. I'm pretty sure such apps are out there.

Maybe the OP will chime in. If I'm wrong about the iPhone app business, then I agree with what you said.
From what I understand there is apps that you download and they act as an amp with all the different knobs and switches( in-app purchases I think)... I'm under no illusion that it would sound as good as the real thing just wanting to get somewhat close. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go plug it in at the store and try it out for myself and see what my ears tell me ( I'm guessing it's gonna come down to personal taste if the sound is good enough to my ear). I'm happy that it seems like the Mexican built strat is a decent starter guitar.

Thanks for all the help it's time to go explore
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Remember the Tom Scholz Rockman? I always thought they were pretty cool. Always liked Tom's tones.

Check it out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-headphone-amp

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-22-2015, 10:27 AM

I just use a Vox AmPlug. Plug my headphones and iPod into it and off I go.
Cheap and easy.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
I just use a Vox AmPlug. Plug my headphones and iPod into it and off I go.
Cheap and easy.
I do exactly the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars