The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-15-2022, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Default NMD (New Mic Day)

Just took FedEx delivery of my new matched pair of sE8 small diaphragm condenser mics. Too late in the day to try them out with live sound; my wife is settling down for the evening.

First impressions: the fit and finish are excellent. The case is professional grade both in and out. The foam is heavier and stouter than I expected. The stereo mounting bar is black anodized heavy steel, with large, heavy-duty set knobs.

I've set up the stereo bar to reach my 14th fret in the XY configuration while I'm seated, so it's on the boom and ready to go. I hope to collect some tracks this weekend.

The set came with three mic-screw adapters with 5/8" male outer to 3/8" female inner threads for use with mic stands that have European 3/8" threads. Mine are entry-level On-Stage stands with US threads, so I removed the adapters, and I never expect to use them. They are also heavy and of superior fit and finish.

This product is made in Shanghai and I have to tell you, that almost talked me out of buying them. But I listened to the founder's daughter's interview with Mitch Gallagher on Sweetwater, and she said the right things to suggest that this company knows what it's doing. It seems to be entirely vertically integrated. I still have the lingering feeling they pay their workers a pittance compared to, say, a Neumann assembler. But the quality control seems to be world-class with sE. We'll see.

Chime in if you use these mics, and tell me what they're doing for you with acoustic guitar.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD