The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Phase issue questions

1. How can you identify a phase issue. Can you actually hear it or does it just show up in your tools (which plug ins clearly identify the phase issue ?)

2. How can you fix a phase issue post recording?

3. Does the average listener even notice a phase issue? Does fixing it really make a difference? Can you provide examples?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
1. How can you identify a phase issue. Can you actually hear it or does it just show up in your tools (which plug ins clearly identify the phase issue ?)
To my ears, phase issues do one of two things depending upon the severity of the phase issue... they'll make the recording sound thin or they'll impart a sort of flanger effect.

Quote:
There are two plugins that address it very well. For solo guitar, there's no reason to buy the more expensive Pi. Auto-Align is excellent and the improvement will usually have you scratching your head wondering why you didn't hear how weak it sounded before.
SoundRadix Auto-Align
SoundRadix Pi
You can try both of these for free before deciding to purchase.

Quote:
3. Does the average listener even notice a phase issue? Does fixing it really make a difference? Can you provide examples?
That depends on the severity of the misalignment and the ears of the listener. To those who don't know about such things, they may hear it but not know they're hearing a problem in the audio. But the bottom line is that when your audio is out of phase, no one is hearing the best version of it (unless you're intentionally creating a phase issue for artistic purposes.).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-20-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:

It can be heard, especially when you sum to mono. The sound will become hollow and in severe cases, almost disappear. Case in point, I heard a stereo pressing of Hendrix's "Are You Experienced" where Jimi's vocal went away when it was summed to mono. All that was left of it was the echo return.

One can rarely fix a mix that contains severely out of phase material. If however, one side is a full 180 degrees reversed from the other, reversing one of the sides will correct things. Otherwise, going back to the multitrack is the only way to go.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Besides what Jim has said----- first understand it is a pretty complex subject

But in somewhat simplistic terms Here goes

The term Phase Issue essentially means a sound wave/s time alignment differences causing issues which can have different level of effect depending on how severe the misalignment is
Also understanding that time alignment differences can small enough to not really be an "issue"

Here are three examples

Here are two sound waves that are in phase

Here are two that have phase differences

And here are two that are 180 degrees out phase alignment and will cancel each other creating no sound

That said what we deal with in recording can be basically divided into two main categories

#1 Time differences when using two microphones on one source (recording stereo guitar with two or more mics for example )

#2 Reflections causing comb filtering issues (which is also a time difference issue

As far as #1 most common stereo mic'ing techniques done correctly will not cause severe "issues" because the are close enough to bing the same distance from the source that they simply create the stereo effect... But if you start increasing the any difference in their respective distances to the source (like say one mic @ 6 inches and one @ 12 inches you can start to encounter issues

#2 has to with the mic/s (mono or stereo) position/distance to the source AND the rooms reflection properties ( and why close mic'ing is often a suggestion ) AND why many here sound like broken records on suggestions of acoustic treatment.

For one fairly good example of how comb filtering sounds

Scroll down on this page to the soundcloud examples of "What comb filtering sounds like'

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-u...ow-to-avoid-it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-20-2022, 12:42 PM

I like this guys explanation and fix. It's in Logic Pro, but should be easily transferable to what ever DAW you are using:

Old 03-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Here's a quick demo for you Barry. I just faked this by manipulating an existing recording.

Here's 5 passes at the same little lick:

1. My initial spaced pair recording.

2. Flipping the polarity, aka 180 degrees out of phase on one channel - hear the sort of overly-dramatic stereo image?

3. Same as #2, but when summed to mono. Thin, muffled and quiet.

4. A lesser degree, a 90 degree phase shift on one channel. Doesn't sound so bad in stereo, kind of sounds "bigger", but with a slightly odd sound to it.

5. The 90 degree shift when summed to mono. Not as bad as #3, but you hear a muffled lifeless sound. This is the sort of sound I often notice when people post examples that were recorded with spaced pairs, but then panned inward, resulting in some phase cancellation.

BTW, here's what Blue Cat's stereo Scope looks like for these examples: (With this tool, the Y axis is volume, X axis is place in the stereo field, from far left to far right)

Spaced Pair stereo, Correlation around 0.7. (mono would be 1.0) This is a pretty wide stereo to start with, as you can see from the curves and correlation

Stereo OK.jpg

The flipped polarity. Notice how the sides are higher in level than the mid. correlation is -0.6

Polarity Inverted.jpg

and the 90 degrees off. Very wide stereo image, sides are as strong as the center. Correlation is a around -0.4

Stereo - 90 degrees out of phase.jpg
Old 03-20-2022, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info everyone!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a quick demo for you Barry. I just faked this by manipulating an existing recording.

Here's 5 passes at the same little lick:

1. My initial spaced pair recording.

2. Flipping the polarity, aka 180 degrees out of phase on one channel - hear the sort of overly-dramatic stereo image?

3. Same as #2, but when summed to mono. Thin, muffled and quiet.

4. A lesser degree, a 90 degree phase shift on one channel. Doesn't sound so bad in stereo, kind of sounds "bigger", but with a slightly odd sound to it.

5. The 90 degree shift when summed to mono. Not as bad as #3, but you hear a muffled lifeless sound. This is the sort of sound I often notice when people post examples that were recorded with spaced pairs, but then panned inward, resulting in some phase cancellation.

BTW, here's what Blue Cat's stereo Scope looks like for these examples: (With this tool, the Y axis is volume, X axis is place in the stereo field, from far left to far right)

Spaced Pair stereo, Correlation around 0.7. (mono would be 1.0) This is a pretty wide stereo to start with, as you can see from the curves and correlation

Attachment 71373

The flipped polarity. Notice how the sides are higher in level than the mid. correlation is -0.6

Attachment 71374

and the 90 degrees off. Very wide stereo image, sides are as strong as the center. Correlation is a around -0.4

Attachment 71375
Really enjoyed your demos & explanations Doug! Big Help.

Nothing like having real time examples.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Based on Doug’s postings I bought the Blue Cat Stereo Scope plug-in and it’s a great tool that’s pretty straight forward to use.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:13 PM

Back in the "old days" the quick double-check for phasing issues was to simply push your monitors close together, facing each other.

This sounds rather simplistic, but nothing highlights phasing issues as quickly as that test. Bass can literally disappear, and a wide variety of other problems can instantly be ascertained. Of course, all the technical processes can verify and/or correct the causes, but nothing works as fast and reliably as the old "mechanical sum to mono" of listening to those closely positioned monitors!
Old 03-20-2022, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Back in the "old days" the quick double-check for phasing issues was to simply push your monitors close together, facing each other.

This sounds rather simplistic, but nothing highlights phasing issues as quickly as that test. Bass can literally disappear, and a wide variety of other problems can instantly be ascertained. Of course, all the technical processes can verify and/or correct the causes, but nothing works as fast and reliably as the old "mechanical sum to mono" of listening to those closely positioned monitors!
I think my monitors weight about 70 lbs :-) I'd learn about phase, but have my back in traction for a week!
Old 03-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

For typical stereo mike positions the degree of out of phase goes from generally almost zip for low frequencies to significant amounts at various high
frequencies. Looking at a correlation meter keep that in mind. For me the most likely problem frequencies (harshness) are in the 4 to 7 kilohertz range.
The harshness is probably not really a correlation issue per se nevertheless using a tiny bit of track delay and/or a small decrease in volume of a problem
frequency using an equalizer is worth exploring.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-21-2022 at 11:55 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-21-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think my monitors weight about 70 lbs :-) I'd learn about phase, but have my back in traction for a week!
I hear that!

The older I get the more I go for lighter weight stuff. It's nice to see many manufacturers moving to sound reinforcement, combo amps, and even instruments that feature a kinder, gentler form factor for we users who are moving towards "lower muscle mass", whether we want to or not!.

My desk monitors have gradually moved from 8" KEFs to Presonus Eris 5s. I've found that my hearing losses generally match my loss of muscle, so I'm just as happy with the compromise in fidelity as I am with the corresponding reduction in size and weight.

"Pushing them together facing each other" was more a possibility for us NS-10 users...
Old 03-21-2022, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I'n dreading the day I have to move these monitors :-) Fortunately my interface has a mono button right on front, so I can do mono checks with no lifting!
Old 03-21-2022, 02:49 PM

This is my favourite "what does comb filtering sound like?" vid.

Vid

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD